Tabascojunkie

Tabascojunkie

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 25, 2016
SE Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On a recent trail ride the Boss expressed her disconcerted feelings regarding how to find her way home from some overgrown, densely wooded, running every which way but where you want to go trails we were riding for the first time. I explained to her that I was not unnerved in any way having confidence in my navigation skills and knowing we were well within in my cellular carriers service area I simply pulled up a satellite map on my smart phone and showed her just how close to civilization we actually were. She was not impressed and retorted there should be a GPS on the Piney. Why not? We have one in each vehicle we normally drive as well as our boat. Which she knows how to use because she is an independent woman who wants to be competent in a crisis should the need arise. Being the confident navigator I am, I quickly quelled the situation with a, " Nah we don't need that..." I told her!
So, now I'm contemplating putting a GPS in my P1K-5 for several reasons but a biggie being to give the Boss piece of mind in the woods on the trails when riding a new area. She wants to be sure she knows where to go should something happen as we often ride single vehicle or just she and I on dual machines.
Being happy to oblige her concern I started looking at different GPS units... Wow! One will run the gauntlet to decide what unit to purchase.
I'm just a regular joe who appreciates a good bell or whistle but to weed through all the options some have for the crazy prices is a near Herculean task.
Now mind you, the Boss is not a dumb person by any means. She is a professional with a Masters degree from a prominent University (in the SEC for you sports fans). She and I also totally agree on the K.I.S.S. philosophy when it comes to pretty much anything. Looking at the features some GPS makers offer such as trail maps, digital cameras, topo maps it is all staring to blur.
GPS is NOT a complicated system. The unit, which is merely a receiver that reads a transmitted time signal from three or more geo- synchronized orbiting satellites to triangulate a position that is expressed into a Lat/Lon position on the earth. Through the wonders of manufacturing the cost of this technology has decreased through the years to where is should be a relatively inexpensive novelty. Now granted when the technology was new you were expected to surrender an appendage, organ or your first born but nowadays not so much. So to keep these little where am I gems up in price there keep adding features that could be regarded as unnecessary clutter.
As mentioned, The Boss and I have Nav systems in our vehicles that are used occasionally but we could honestly live without. The unit in the boat is a necessity as it is used to find items in an environment void of landmarks as we sail open waters and fish over invisible sunken structure.
So with all that being said, my question to the forum is what do you expect out of your unit? What features do you really use and deem necessary? What price range can you find what you want? How often do you actually use it and not just have it on the dash as an ornament? How intuitive are some of these small handheld units?
We do often ride "new to us areas" which could be easy to become disoriented so I think it is a good idea to have but not looking to spend a ton.
Just thought this would be a fun topic to throw out for discussion and looking forward to hearing your thoughts....

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I'm no expert on the subject. but I have learned that most of the aftermarket trail maps tend to be garmin compatible. I purchased some maps to install on mine, we use the garmin to help us on the road to get to the trails, then put it in the pioneer when we hit the trails. I have the same maps downloaded to my phone and in a pinch they can be used when your out of cell range.

Buckrocker

Buckrocker

Jan 5, 2016
Rock, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a delorme GPS unit. I think it is a pn60. Features I like is battery powered (2 aa). It also has a 12 volt plug in adaptor. It is rugged and fairly water proof. I can down load geocaches. It has trail features that are cool. You can print maps and it remembers the trails. On the computer it even tells you when you were at a particular location and how fast you were going. It doesn't take pictures and there is a learning curve but I do like it overall. Oh also with a subscription fee you Can download satellite images. I live in WV and about 50 % of our riding and hiking has NO cell service.

Reactions: Tabascojunkie
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
My soon to be GPS is a Pantech Element tablet. They are water proof (supposedly) and run gps without cell towers. They have a 7 or 8 inch screen. Warning... bought mine on ebay and it hadn't been used for a year or two. Which meant the android software was too old to update itself and it almost became a brick. Once I got through that nightmare it works fine. Next step is to build a holder or case to mount it in and give it more protection.

Reactions: Tabascojunkie
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have an ipad or even iphone download gaia gps or motionx gps hd. The gaia is more expensive but has better reviews. Both of these require an iphone or ipad with gps function, and you download the maps of the area you will be riding in before you leave home (while on wifi preferably).

Waylan

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have an ipad or even iphone download gaia gps or motionx gps hd. The gaia is more expensive but has better reviews. Both of these require an iphone or ipad with gps function, and you download the maps of the area you will be riding in before you leave home (while on wifi preferably).

Waylan
I use motion-x also.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have used motion X in the past. The problem I had with it is that you need to have cell service to download the maps. Pretty much all places i ride don't have cell service.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used motion X in the past. The problem I had with it is that you need to have cell service to download the maps. Pretty much all places i ride don't have cell service.

From my experience playing around with both Motion X and Gaia this past weekend, you should be downloading the maps you need of the areas you plan to ride before you go, and preferably via wifi (to save data on your cell plan). That's what makes these apps better than google earth. I will say that downloading maps with Gaia was much easier/quicker. It allows you to pick as large of an area as you want for downloading at one time, and also allows you to adjust the resolution to make the file size reasonable. When downloading with Motion X, you were limited on how big of an area you could download at a time.

Waylan

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can pre-download the map data before you lose service. You pick the level of quality you want for the downloaded maps. The iPhones gps sensor works wether you have cell service or not so this is a solution / work around.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can pre-download the map data before you lose service. You pick the level of quality you want for the downloaded maps. The iPhones gps sensor works wether you have cell service or not so this is a solution / work around.

I haven't had luck using GPS without cell service on the iPhones

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been using Trimble app with my phone lately and it's super nice but I'm not sure if I like the price.

A

AK_Centurion

Feb 12, 2016
Eagle River, AK
Downloaded Motion X before the last ride, works good locating your position, but didn't show map once I lost cell coverage. I downloaded the map for the same area and will try it again today. Got about a 50 mile radius at 16 tile, took forever to download, almost 500MB. Going to try to figure out some of the functions on this ride.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have to select the map in pieces, or just a single selection for 50 mile radius at 16 tile?

Thanks,

Waylan

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I haven't had luck using GPS without cell service on the iPhones
Bingo....
just go t Rex Garmin
$87......crumb tracker...
not much on graphics
but...better than being lost
low fuel light blinking.....
& it's getting dark. ....
mounts nicely on dash....

20150526 074708

Reactions: sthomp54
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Downloaded Motion X before the last ride, works good locating your position, but didn't show map once I lost cell coverage. I downloaded the map for the same area and will try it again today. Got about a 50 mile radius at 16 tile, took forever to download, almost 500MB. Going to try to figure out some of the functions on this ride.
The team tracker is pretty neat if you ride with others also. If you pick a channel 9999 choices, and the others pick the same channel, you can see each other on the map.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a Delorme InReach Explorer satellite GPS with 12 Volt charger that I Pair via bluetooth with my iPad Pro in my tow vehicle. I need to figure out the wiring so I can transfer everything to my P5. I'd like to install a couple of 12v sockets and some USB ports at some point in time but soon.
Fullsizeoutput ec

Fullsizeoutput 482
IMG 4690

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a Delorme InReach Explorer satellite GPS with 12 Volt charger that I Pair via bluetooth with my iPad Pro in my tow vehicle. I need to figure out the wiring so I can transfer everything to my P5. I'd like to install a couple of 12v sockets and some USB ports at some point in time but soon.
View attachment 43012
View attachment 43017 View attachment 43018

The Garmin version, not sure if Delorme version has same accessory, has a dock mount that is USB powered. I have some amazon 12v to USB port (3a per port for tablet power) under the dash and then rubber tape and liquid electrical tape over that so they stay water tight.

Hard Wire Power Adapter USB Female Plug DC 12V to 5V 3A https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4PD3N3/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Reactions: 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!