Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My buddy that rides with me all the time just bought the havoc x. Sold his wildcat after the overland adventure. Hasn't had it out yet.
Tell us more.

Reactions: BWAF
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hasn't even picked it up yet sitting in showroom until all options purchased show up.
I looked at one a few months ago, it's got the Pioneer beat, except for the extra seating in the back.

Reactions: BWAF
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
damn yall... this is what i came on here to do... figured it was price is right rules.. ill bet 10,000 for 3 link and 15,500 for 4 link

Realistically if they want to be competitive in the market I think the 60/64" would need to be $15000 or less and the 72" would need to be <$20k

I would love a sport model... but there are some other contenders out there right now that are keeping things interesting.

100% agree with this. I was just riding over the summer with a guy who bought a brand new RZR XP 1000, and I think he said he paid 14000 for it. I would say the the Talon needs to be able to be bought somewhere in that range, otherwise there will be too many people still buying rzrs.

H

HondaTech

100% agree with this. I was just riding over the summer with a guy who bought a brand new RZR XP 1000, and I think he said he paid 14000 for it. I would say the the Talon needs to be able to be bought somewhere in that range, otherwise there will be too many people still buying rzrs.

That's way too cheap, dealers are having to dump RZRs because they've flooded the market.

Theres no way hell the Tallon will be 14k, even if Honda did people would still try to drag dealers down to 12 or 10. Dream on if you think a sport SXS that's serious will ever be under 18k.

Besides if this thing is what its suppose to be, the RZR will be long forgotten in a few years. People are tired of fixing junk time and time again.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's way too cheap, dealers are having to dump RZRs because they've flooded the market.

Theres no way hell the Tallon will be 14k, even if Honda did people would still try to drag dealers down to 12 or 10. Dream on if you think a sport SXS that's serious will ever be under 18k.

Besides if this thing is what its suppose to be, the RZR will be long forgotten in a few years. People are tired of fixing junk time and time again.

I would think a 60" would need to be around 15-16 if they want to be competitive and try to start taking market share. People are more worried about pinching pennies and not getting what they dont think they need... heck look how many of us bought the pioneer 700 and sold it after 6 months, We were trying to be cheap. Honda is also so late to the game with the sport that Canam and Polaris have a huge following and have prices in that range. Enough people try to save money on base models, no power steering, etc. For 18k and a 60" SXS, it better be something special. This is assuming its 60" which would play into the Canam Sport and Rzr 900 market (which some trails are limited to 60" so i would assume they would pick this dimension)

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

That's the way I see it too. The biggest problem with Honda SXS is people fix them until they break. Case in point I spent probably $6k in addons for my 2016 P1K thinking that's what I needed to run in mountains. Turns out, the lift kit, big tires, etc. all just proved too much for the parts I didn't upgrade (axles, clutch, etc.) Ditched the big tires and lift and no issues, also 2018 P1K LE added only roof and windshield, going on 3K miles no issues whatsoever and go everywhere I did with the other machine with all the extra crap, I thought I would need. Honda puts a lot of thought into these machines, save for a few issues since corrected every thing else is human assembled error.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That's the way I see it too. The biggest problem with Honda SXS is people fix them until they break. Case in point I spent probably $6k in addons for my 2016 P1K thinking that's what I needed to run in mountains. Turns out, the lift kit, big tires, etc. all just proved too much for the parts I didn't upgrade (axles, clutch, etc.) Ditched the big tires and lift and no issues, also 2018 P1K LE added only roof and windshield, going on 3K miles no issues whatsoever and go everywhere I did with the other machine with all the extra crap, I thought I would need. Honda puts a lot of thought into these machines, save for a few issues since corrected every thing else is human assembled error.

While I haven't had a ton of issues, I have defiantly learned that its better to buy a machines thats meant for how you want to ride, then buy a machine and try to modify it to how you want to ride. My next ride will be something thats made for my riding style and hopefully just need the basic add ones (roof, windshield, etc).

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I would think a 60" would need to be around 15-16 if they want to be competitive and try to start taking market share. People are more worried about pinching pennies and not getting what they dont think they need... heck look how many of us bought the pioneer 700 and sold it after 6 months, We were trying to be cheap. Honda is also so late to the game with the sport that Canam and Polaris have a huge following and have prices in that range. Enough people try to save money on base models, no power steering, etc. For 18k and a 60" SXS, it better be something special. This is assuming its 60" which would play into the Canam Sport and Rzr 900 market (which some trails are limited to 60" so i would assume they would pick this dimension)

What kills me is the people who try to cheap out no EPS etc. But then you see them with $600 stereo, $400 Yeti cooler in back, and $300 led whips that add zero benefit to the machine handling etc. Cracks me up.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What kills me is the people who try to cheap out no EPS etc. But then you see them with $600 stereo, $400 Yeti cooler in back, and $300 led whips that add zero benefit to the machine handling etc. Cracks me up.

Hey hey, that was me, except the 100 radio, 50 ozark trail, and cheap o light bar. But I had never had power steering until my 1000 so didnt know what I was missing. Now I wouldnt get something without it.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hey hey, that was me, except the 100 radio, 50 ozark trail, and cheap o light bar. But I had never had power steering until my 1000 so didnt know what I was missing. Now I wouldnt get something without it.

I still think the Talon will be at least $21,600 MSRP and wouldn't be shocked if it listed for $23k. That doesn't mean it will be the street price. For example just screenshot this 2018 LE lists for $21,899 but can be bought for under $17,700 that's over $3200 off MSRP so I wouldn't get discouraged by list prices, just got to do your due diligence to buy a machine at the right price.

Screenshot 20181116 115423 Chrome

At the same notion, here is what the Talon is up against best guess wise, the RZR Turbo 1000 with 168hp and 18" of suspension, while not the pinnacle of the sport models, a respectable unit at least spec and price wise up front. The real kicker is what's the total cost of ownership over 36 months and 5000 miles for a Honda Talon vs. a Polaris RZR?

Screenshot 20181116 121223 Chrome

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
There is also Supposed to be 2 versions. I can see the 5 link going for 20+, but I would assume their lower end version would start down near 15-16 to help gain market share.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still think the Talon will be at least $21,600 MSRP and wouldn't be shocked if it listed for $23k. That doesn't mean it will be the street price. For example just screenshot this 2018 LE lists for $21,899 but can be bought for under $17,700 that's over $3200 off MSRP so I wouldn't get discouraged by list prices, just got to do your due diligence to buy a machine at the right price.

View attachment 94048

At the same notion, here is what the Talon is up against best guess wise, the RZR Turbo 1000 with 168hp and 18" of suspension, while not the pinnacle of the sport models, a respectable unit at least spec and price wise up front. The real kicker is what's the total cost of ownership over 36 months and 5000 miles for a Honda Talon vs. a Polaris RZR?

View attachment 94049
That’s not what Talon will be compared to being the turbo model. You’re talking 60 more horse from upper model. That’s what I’m worried about as well is price point. I wouldn’t personally compare the RZR in any level. A more accurate comparison would be the Yamaha. Then you have a couple closer in power and dependability. I think for most those are the two it’ll boil down to if they don’t need maximum power, shiny decals and a parking spot inside the dealership.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That’s not what Talon will be compared to being the turbo model. You’re talking 60 more horse from upper model. That’s what I’m worried about as well is price point. I wouldn’t personally compare the RZR in any level. A more accurate comparison would be the Yamaha. Then you have a couple closer in power and dependability. I think for most those are the two it’ll boil down to if they don’t need maximum power, shiny decals and a parking spot inside the dealership.
I agree the Yamaha YXZ 1000r SS is the direct target Honda is aiming for machine wise. But knocking off the market giant cannibalizing Polaris sales is where the money is at. Go for the guy with 45% market share, not the one with 9%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!