Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I can respect that cuz you don’t have any problems and that’s a good thing. But I may say when I was a Diesel mechanic at Roush, we did some dodge stuff so we had to have a few dodge trucks (diesel) to take Chrysler vehicles to the there headquarters or what have you in 4 car length haulers.Just like when we did our Ford stuff we couldn’t come rollin in in a Chevy or Dodge likewise lol. Every one of those dodges (all Cummins) either had multiple tranny issues and or drive line issues and we never kept them past 100k. They pulled like a rape ape but trannys snapped internally like pretzel sticks guys hated driving them. My neighbor had one with 40k, pulled out on M52 and I heard high pitch whine and a snap and rolled to a stop one sunny afternoon. Our Dodge guy (from Chrysler) said the tolerance are too tight internally, good for a gasser not so much for diesel. That’s from there engineer. So we had them beefed up later to help. The other problems we had was body in Michigan. Door rot and back fender rot. Rare to see one that’s not in a 5 year span. There newer styles to current seem better for rot but I’ve seen some with rear fender rot already. Cummins are a good motor no doubt. But I’ll do anything to have my 95’ DI 7.3 back any day. Had 350k when I sold it and was still going strong last I heard.
Well the first and second gens had adjustable bands in the transmission. If they did slip you didn’t bring them in, you throw fluid, filter and adjust in 15 minutes. Best case is not being lazy and buy a damn manual. Both my camping rigs are fully manual, engine and transmission. That kills almost ALL issues off. I could personally care less about the newer trucks because they loose value rather then appreciate like mine do, never lost money on a rig in 25years with 35 rigs (must be choosing correctly) and that 20k off the showroom floor I can’t afford. Perfectly happy with my old s***. Appreciation makes up for any maintenance I may have. And btw the new Dodge with the jap Aisin is doing pretty well. That’s what I’d buy. They all have emission and def problems so that’s a non complaint but I’m not sure what that is. Again pretty happy with a fully manual Cummins that has ultimate mileage, dependability and resale for 1/2 of the tax most people spend on thier truck.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP looks like u need a new set of tires. :);)
Got um! Stupid BFG k03 barely lasted 25k miles. That 98 12v is currently sitting there till its time to cash out for the Talon. Gotta clean it up some but everything is there ready. Gotta give up my favorite truck but it’ll be worth it. Wife is on board with trading the beast for the beast.

E8B707B7 07E1 4CDA A761 B4C30E00D8E1

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well the first and second gens had adjustable bands in the transmission. If they did slip you didn’t bring them in, you throw fluid, filter and adjust in 15 minutes. Best case is not being lazy and buy a damn manual. Both my camping rigs are fully manual, engine and transmission. That kills almost ALL issues off. I could personally care less about the newer trucks because they loose value rather then appreciate like mine do, never lost money on a rig in 25years with 35 rigs (must be choosing correctly) and that 20k off the showroom floor I can’t afford. Perfectly happy with my old s***. Appreciation makes up for any maintenance I may have. And btw the new Dodge with the jap Aisin is doing pretty well. That’s what I’d buy. They all have emission and def problems so that’s a non complaint but I’m not sure what that is. Again pretty happy with a fully manual Cummins that has ultimate mileage, dependability and resale for 1/2 of the tax most people spend on thier truck.
You are correct about the manual. Best choice option. That Aisin is very nice. I’ll say like I told @Plumber32,when I asked our friend that is an executive engineer at the Chrysler proving grounds to ask her drivetrain guys why I should get the one with there 6 speed trans over ordering one with an Aisin? (I was looking at a brand new left over mega cab 14’ with the dodge auto trans before I bought my Platinum;)) the response was basically cutting up on the Aisin saying I wouldn’t like it, it shifts too hard there not as good as ours. I took it that they weren’t very happy the co decided to make them an option cuz I know there awesome trans’es. I also had trouble paying an extra 3,500$ for the option:eek: I had 9k off the sticker with our friends discount like we did our wrangler but they wouldn’t offer the unlimited warranty on the truck like the wrangler. It was a Nice truck but I used my A plan and stuck with what I knew best and 75k miles later and very happy I did.

advertisement
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got um! Stupid BFG k03 barely lasted 25k miles. That 98 12v is currently sitting there till its time to cash out for the Talon. Gotta clean it up some but everything is there ready. Gotta give up my favorite truck but it’ll be worth it. Wife is on board with trading the beast for the beast.

View attachment 140813

What were they inflated to? Those 10plys need 60psi to not wear like that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You are correct about the manual. Best choice option. That Aisin is very nice. I’ll say like I told @Plumber32,when I asked our friend that is an executive engineer at the Chrysler proving grounds to ask her drivetrain guys why I should get the one with there 6 speed trans over ordering one with an Aisin? (I was looking at a brand new left over mega cab 14’ with the dodge auto trans before I bought my Platinum;)) the response was basically cutting up on the Aisin saying I wouldn’t like it, it shifts too hard there not as good as ours. I took it that they weren’t very happy the co decided to make them an option cuz I know there awesome trans’es. I also had trouble paying an extra 3,500$ for the option:eek: I had 9k off the sticker with our friends discount like we did our wrangler but they wouldn’t offer the unlimited warranty on the truck like the wrangler. It was a Nice truck but I used my A plan and stuck with what I knew best and 75k miles later and very happy I did.
With the Dodge I would opt for the Aisin if not running manual. I’ve known people to have the best of luck and also issues with auto trans in them but just not with Aisin. But I’ve seen trans issues from all the makes. Even the prized Allison has lots of overheating issues from stock, fact is many people that started running those for 1/4 mile and sled pulls around here have since went back to the old Dodge trans and beefed up input and exit shafts. They are getting 9-10 sec in racing with a daily driver without problems. And the expense of that trans is way down, Allison is ridiculous if you have an issue.
Important thing I guess is really to buy what you can afford and enjoy it. There are different choices for a reason. If you’re happy with your truck overall then you got a winner. I see things different myself sometimes and I know that, in fact I try to apologize for my opinions sometimes but I’ve learned what I have. My truck is strictly a point a to point b truck no frills. It gets us from the city I hate to the trails I love cheap and reliably that’s all I ask for lol.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Important thing I guess is really to buy what you can afford and enjoy it. There are different choices for a reason. If you’re happy with your truck overall then you got a winner. I see things different myself sometimes and I know that, in fact I try to apologize for my opinions sometimes but I’ve learned what I have. My truck is strictly a point a to point b truck no frills. It gets us from the city I hate to the trails I love cheap and reliably that’s all I ask for lol.
well said my friend

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
What were they inflated to? Those 10plys need 60psi to not wear like that.
You know I don’t remember. Had a few problems with punctures from all the dirt roads so they were probably over inflated towards the end of their life. Maintenance and me aren’t the best.
But I hated them. They didn’t last on the dirt roads for us and the traction in snow/mud wasn’t good. Next time it’s back to Geolander or at least Open Country. I got 60k from last set of Geos on my 92 Cummins good tire.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You know I don’t remember. Had a few problems with punctures from all the dirt roads so they were probably over inflated towards the end of their life. Maintenance and me aren’t the best.
But I hated them. They didn’t last on the dirt roads for us and the traction in snow/mud wasn’t good. Next time it’s back to Geolander or at least Open Country. I got 60k from last set of Geos on my 92 Cummins good tire.

Ive had the KO, KO2, KO3 the first two were 60k Tires and did really well in slick stuff, not deep mud but that was never my use in my trucks. The KO3 I only got about 50k a set but my first set oh KOs I ran at 32-35psi and they wore very poorly.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive had the KO, KO2, KO3 the first two were 60k Tires and did really well in slick stuff, not deep mud but that was never my use in my trucks. The KO3 I only got about 50k a set but my first set oh KOs I ran at 32-35psi and they wore very poorly.
My ko2 are 65 front 80 rear a little over 20,000 and are wearing great. And 90% is pulling 8000lbs.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Ya none are really a deep mud tire. When I stated mud I definitely didn’t mean off road. Just the heavy mud pulling into camp. I thought air pressure might’ve been higher then that but it’s been a year since we messed with that truck.
I think those were possibly an ok street tire for wear but the dirt chewed the backs up badly when towing, I started running 4x4 to even out the wear from slip. Never worried about that with the other tires. That truck saw probably 15-20% of its life on dirt roads towing, was hard on tires.

advertisement