Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I actually just purchased the machine, it came with the hard enclosure installed.
Welcome to the forum!
Take that off in the hot months. Any Sxs without ac will be a burner but Pioneer a little hotter then some because of the seating configuration on a short wheel base. We do have a 7” fan but I haven’t transferred that to the new Pioneer yet and we ran all summer at temps above 100 deg without under seat cover even. We get by just fine without complaints but choose to run no windshield in the summer, I like the open air.
Plenty of fixes including one that helps some from Honda. but don’t run full cab. Save that for winter when you’ll enjoy the free heat. Ours has a custom enclosure that we will run only in extreme cold, hate being boxed in. Would’ve bought a Jeep if wanted that

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I actually just purchased the machine, it came with the hard enclosure installed.

Look at a “bugbuster” if your windshield can’t be opened for summer months.

A windshield stops the airflow through the cab and you’re sitting on the motor. It also creates a low pressure area behind it that draws dust into and it settles, instead of blowing through. It’s really nice on cool winter day but 95F with humidity it’s unridable with the glass installed.

I have a glass windshield for cold months with soft doors and soft mid panel. I had the hard mid panel on my 700 but it couldn’t be removed easily so I went with the soft on my 1000. I can have the cab off in under 20mins and back on in about 30. It was also MUCH louder than the soft panels.

3511b0b431b534707af29c550e80cf8d

6e5ea095044055fc531d1088a9cf2313

The air deflector from the 18YM is a big help it keeps a good bit of hot air from coming through the dash holes.

In south my 700 was unbearable on days over 75F which is why when I set my 1000 up I made sure the cab could come off completely.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Look at a “bugbuster” if your windshield can’t be opened for summer months.

A windshield stops the airflow through the cab and you’re sitting on the motor. It also creates a low pressure area behind it that draws dust into and it settles, instead of blowing through. It’s really nice on cool winter day but 95F with humidity it’s unridable with the glass installed.

I have a glass windshield for cold months with soft doors and soft mid panel. I had the hard mid panel on my 700 but it couldn’t be removed easily so I went with the soft on my 1000. I can have the cab off in under 20mins and back on in about 30. It was also MUCH louder than the soft panels.

View attachment 86084

View attachment 86085

The air deflector from the 18YM is a big help it keeps a good bit of hot air from coming through the dash holes.

In south my 700 was unbearable on days over 75F which is why when I set my 1000 up I made sure the cab could come off completely.
You got a link for that Bugbuster?

BVerhulst

BVerhulst

Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Since buying my P1k a few months ago, I installed the SATV split windshield, but had yet to take it out for a good ride on rugged trails; I finally had an opportunity this past weekend. The trails were mildly dusty, but an ample amount built up inside, much like the back of a pickup truck. The heat coming from the engine actually felt pretty good since it was a cool fall morning (though I can understand why people in hot humid climates complain), but with the upper part of the windshield wide open, my face was cold while my body was warm. If I lowered the windshield, even to the "mid" position, it got too warm in the cab quickly; that won't be a problem during winter months. If I fully "closed" the windshield, the heat became significant (I'll like it in winter), and the dust was unpleasant; it comes as little surprise based on this experience that people riding really dusty trails (e.g. southwest) or through dust kicked up by groups of riders that this dust becomes rather unbearable.

I am wondering now is if anyone has tried removing the bottom portion of a SATV windshield to help fresh air keep flowing through while keeping the top part on? I'm curious how it might work. If no one has, perhaps I'll be the first to try it. It seems like fresh air flowing through the cab at chest height would help mitigate dust swirling in and settling, keep cool air moving through and blowing on your body, and lowering the top shield could still provide face protection. I just need to figure out a way to latch it/tether it down without the bracket present on the lower shield. Alternately, one could install vents in the lower air-dam; I've seen some windshields manufactured with vents, and saw somebody propose the idea on another thread. Any experience to share?

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

Since buying my P1k a few months ago, I installed the SATV split windshield, but had yet to take it out for a good ride on rugged trails; I finally had an opportunity this past weekend. The trails were mildly dusty, but an ample amount built up inside, much like the back of a pickup truck. The heat coming from the engine actually felt pretty good since it was a cool fall morning (though I can understand why people in hot humid climates complain), but with the upper part of the windshield wide open, my face was cold while my body was warm. If I lowered the windshield, even to the "mid" position, it got too warm in the cab quickly; that won't be a problem during winter months. If I fully "closed" the windshield, the heat became significant (I'll like it in winter), and the dust was unpleasant; it comes as little surprise based on this experience that people riding really dusty trails (e.g. southwest) or through dust kicked up by groups of riders that this dust becomes rather unbearable.

I am wondering now is if anyone has tried removing the bottom portion of a SATV windshield to help fresh air keep flowing through while keeping the top part on? I'm curious how it might work. If no one has, perhaps I'll be the first to try it. It seems like fresh air flowing through the cab at chest height would help mitigate dust swirling in and settling, keep cool air moving through and blowing on your body, and lowering the top shield could still provide face protection. I just need to figure out a way to latch it/tether it down without the bracket present on the lower shield. Alternately, one could install vents in the lower air-dam; I've seen some windshields manufactured with vents, and saw somebody propose the idea on another thread. Any experience to share?
Just run a soft mid panel to reduce the cab dust..

advertisement
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
for those of you that have that bug buster solution installed from Rogue Powersports;
I'm curious to hear how it interacts with the famous rivers of water that come off the roof.
Of course, a mesh screen won't stop the water, but does it slow down, get diverted at all?
Every time I get a river in my lap, it makes my laugh to see how QA or RD never put this thing through a simply wet test.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
for those of you that have that bug buster solution installed from Rogue Powersports;
I'm curious to hear how it interacts with the famous rivers of water that come off the roof.
Of course, a mesh screen won't stop the water, but does it slow down, get diverted at all?
Every time I get a river in my lap, it makes my laugh to see how QA or RD never put this thing through a simply wet test.

Well it doesn’t...but if your riding in weather that is wet enough to have a puddle on the roof you’re already soaked anyway right?

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well it doesn’t...but if your riding in weather that is wet enough to have a puddle on the roof you’re already soaked anyway right?

I may be in a very unique situation and I def have no issues with getting wet.. I live in what is known as a high altitude rain forest, so rain is common nearly every day. What makes things interesting is that the rain is calm and not accompanied by the intense winds that I knew in Vermont.
The water that builds up on the roof and then suddenly flows in to your lap when the angles change to point down hill, is just excessive.
With (3) people in the front the middle person does not suffer as much and the two in the back stay dry.
Thats the part that has me shaking my head and laughing as this along with the need to re-route all those vent hoses make it clear that no pre-production testing with rain and wet environments were ever really considered.

I was thinking of getting the local aluminum fabricators to maybe make me a long visor, thought about flipping out that mini windshield as a visor... even thought about just attaching with glue one of those pool noodles all in an effort to simply divert those lap seeking channels of water.
There must be at least a half decent and elegant solution...
but I do not want a real windshield as the trapped hot air is a much worse scenario

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be in a very unique situation and I def have no issues with getting wet.. I live in what is known as a high altitude rain forest, so rain is common nearly every day. What makes things interesting is that the rain is calm and not accompanied by the intense winds that I knew in Vermont.
The water that builds up on the roof and then suddenly flows in to your lap when the angles change to point down hill, is just excessive.
With (3) people in the front the middle person does not suffer as much and the two in the back stay dry.
Thats the part that has me shaking my head and laughing as this along with the need to re-route all those vent hoses make it clear that no pre-production testing with rain and wet environments were ever really considered.

I was thinking of getting the local aluminum fabricators to maybe make me a long visor, thought about flipping out that mini windshield as a visor... even thought about just attaching with glue one of those pool noodles all in an effort to simply divert those lap seeking channels of water.
but I do not want a real windshield as the trapped hot air is a much worse scenario

Well that’s a unique situation and it sounds like you’re not moving that quickly.

I’m right there with you about windshield in summer. Luckily it’s warm enough here even if it’s raining it’s actually makes it feel better.

BVerhulst

BVerhulst

Jul 3, 2018
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Actually not that unique... been using a Pioneer 700 for a number of years in wildland fire fighting... same problem: water pours off the roof onto your lap. Our crew has discussed the same ideas of some sort of "gutter", and one of the primary reasons I put the flip-up windshield on my rig. Although I didn't anticipate the heat retention.

Reactions: ch33br0h

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!