Hardcoat Windshield

D

drdoom

Just installed the tip out hardcoat windshield and soft top/rear panel. Has anyone left the windshield on when towing? The "official" Honda answer is "not recommended" but I can't see taking this thing off every time I have to trailer it. If it was supposed to be removed you'd think they'd have made it less of a pain with all the tiny bits and pieces.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
Towed mine many times with the windshield, hard roof, soft rear panel & soft doors. No issue traveling at 70-75 mph

Elkhunter

Elkhunter

Lifetime Member
Jul 17, 2013
Minnesota
Tow mine with roof ,split windshield and soft rear panel. no problems yet. I make sure the windshield is shut all. the way.

FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same windshield with a hardtop, and must of missed the "no tow" recommendation in the install instructions. Glad others have already tested it. :) It would be a major pain to remove and install for every tow.

D

drdoom

You didn't miss the "no tow" I actually called Honda to see if it was ok. Their response was "not recommended", exactly what I thought it would be. I towed this week in a driving rainstorm and not one problem.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
I towed with the windshield forward (facing forward on trailer) and a hard roof 70mph no problems. I suppose in a severe headwind I might slow down just in case. Has anyone towed with Pioneer facing backward on trailer...I wonder if that would trap more wind on the windshield?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How are you supposed to tow it? Take all the cab parts off and put them in boxes???

Is it that they don't want to warranty it IF it tears up or is it not designed for USE? Very few people have ORV trails literally in there back yard. You have to tow. You shouldn't have to buy a $6000 enclosed over height 7'6" door trailer if you buy a $500 windshield, (which I should be able to use as a skid plate for $500.)

If you've ever tried to carry plywood in even a slight wind you know how much force air can create. 75mph air has a lot of force. Maybe make a ¾" plywood cover??? Might be the cheapest option other than not having the windshield at all.

(Pushes soapbox away)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Iluvuk, Ioading it backwards with a roof and windshield would be asking for it to rip off.
I think the Honda windshield and roof will hold up. The ones I seen looked strong.

Plywood idea is not bad. But you would have to space it a bit to prevent scratching. That could just create another gap for air pressure to build under. Idk, just my two cents of soap.
Guess you could wrap it with a sheet.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI: the glass windshield has no notes plastered all over it saying anything about remove while towing. It's also a powder coated steel frame.

I

iluvuk

Nov 1, 2014
Hondasxs said:
Iluvuk, Ioading it backwards with a roof and windshield would be asking for it to rip off.
I think the Honda windshield and roof will hold up. The ones I seen looked strong.

Plywood idea is not bad. But you would have to space it a bit to prevent scratching. That could just create another gap for air pressure to build under. Idk, just my two cents of soap.
Guess you could wrap it with a sheet.

I have now towed it twice at freeway speed with roof and hard coat windshield installed with no problem whatsoever. I agree, putting it backwards on the trailer is just asking for the wind to rip them off....I'm not going to try it even though it fits better backwards on my trailer.

advertisement
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I have the tip out windshield, hard roof and a soft rear panel. I've towed this rig to Colorado from Arkansas twice this year, 1000 miles each way. Drove freeway almost all the way at 80+ most of the time, with no problems, except gas mileage. I pulled the 500 on my 14 foot, single axle trailer. Not loaded that heavy. I got 8 and 9 MPG out of my 2013 F-150, I get 14 MPG pulling a 22 foot, Stratos bass boat with a 200 HP Evinrude on it, at the same speeds. Boat is on a double axle trailer and has to weigh a lot more. I guess it's because it catches so much air with the big flat windshield facing into the wind like it does.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kills my mileage too drops from 16 pulling a tractor that weighs twice as much to about 10-11 pulling the P4

It's like I put a parachute behind me when I let off the gas my speed drops so fast.

Lot of flat surface area.

S

Snowbird

Sep 17, 2013
I currently have the wind deflector and find it's not adequate in cold weather. I am going to buy the full
hard coat windshield. I notice that most folks that have this also have the rear fabric panel. My question
is......does the rear panel serve any useful purpose ? I'm not sure if I should get one of those as well.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you don't have the rear panel the windshield creates a high pressure area in front and low pressure area behind that pulls things into it. IE: dust and cold air from behind you.

Same principle of aerodynamics that creates the lift on an airplane wing.

The rear panel breaks the airflow up. Especially the dust from behind you.

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
With the full windshield and a rear panel it's actually pretty warm inside the cab, warm enough that if it's over about 70* or so you will want to tip out the windshield and get a little air flow going.

C

CookiePuss

Oct 5, 2014
Pulled the uter 10 hours out to minnesota a week and a half ago. Hard roof, soft rear panel and soft doors. Took the doors off to be safe, they're easy enough to put on/take off. Everything did just fine.

hurld

hurld

Lifetime Member
Feb 19, 2014
I have to hard coated windshield with rear fabric panel, fabric doors & Honda factory roof on my Pioneer 700-4. Has anyone found a good way to fill the huge gap between the rear panel & the roof. When plowing every time I backup the cold air comes flying in the gap causing the windshield to fog, and me to freeze my a$$ off.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could rivet one side of a zipper to the hard roof and see the other side to the fabric panel.

Would close the gap and still be removable/ let air flow of you wanted.

Lprioux

Lprioux

Jan 12, 2015
South Central Louisiana
Half windshield
Was about to purchase the wind deflector when I came across the half windshield for P500 from Superatv. It's about 4" higher and the same price. It's perfect for temps here in the south and would recommend it over the deflector.

Fordman

Fordman

Lifetime Member
Aug 8, 2013
Fayette Al
Ownership

1. 500
With the windshield tipped all the way out does it provide enough air in the summer ?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!