Has anyone ever used Copart?

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am considering getting a UTV off of this website and rebuilding it. There is one within an hour of me and if I could get it cheap enough I think it would be a neat deal. Does anyone know how the bidding works?

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I've only bought one thing from Copart. It was my Subaru that insurance totaled for cosmetic damage caused by debris hitting it during Hurricane Laura. The only reason I bought that is because I knew the vehicle. There was nothing wrong with it mechanically.

I know for a fact right now there is a talon listed on there site as "minor dents and scratches" that has water damage and is not running. It looks great but will not run. Just a little warning. Depending on what you are looking for always search for "starts and runs". If you are close to one of their locations go check out the vehicles on site.

They require a deposit down of at least half of what you plan on bidding up to. You can bid online once open but the final process is the live and live online auction. Watching that online was like a kids video game from Chuck E Cheese! The sounds were annoying!! But they run some vehicles through because of time limits for bidding. I did like that. No lollygagging.

I had a friend that was already setup with Copart set a max bid for me and let it go. I just watched online.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am considering getting a UTV off of this website and rebuilding it. There is one within an hour of me and if I could get it cheap enough I think it would be a neat deal. Does anyone know how the bidding works?
Doing a rebuild sxs that came from IAA currently. Bought from them and Copart over the years on many vehicles including 4 in my driveway. Iaai is better to deal with.
There are few fees that you have to be aware of and sometimes have to have a licensed wrecker pull out your purchase. Just so you know prices right now are higher then ever because of the absence of stock. And check for parts to make sure there is availability because it’s a horrendous backorder and shipping sucks. Frame is usually what totals out a sxs. If can do the work as opposed to full replacement it’s better.
The price you see isn’t what actually goes for in live bid so don’t get caught up thinking you’ll get a 2k sxs.
And you really need to be careful for additional damage, water, no run sort of things. At least here you only have a few hours to inspect but can’t touch because of Covid restrictions, and live bid is done online.
With all that said someone can do very well at it if you pay attention.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did not win the one I was after today. I thought it would go cheap but it did not. It was a 2013 rzr 4 seater 1000. It had 9900 miles on it. It was a runs and drives unit. It looked like someone rear ended it. It would need all rear control arms, cv shafts, and potentially differential. I thought this thing should be cheap. It was an hour away from me. I was setup with a max bid of 3500. Then it opened the live auction and the last I saw was 6300. I am not sure what it's final price was because I was at work and I no longer cared so I left the page. Now when I go back to the page it just says lot sold. It won't tell me a price. I could not believe a smashed up machine with almost 10k miles was still worth money. Oh well. I have my eyes on another one for tomorrow and then 2 more next Thursday and after that I don't see anything else listed that catches my attention.

• Wow
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did not win the one I was after today. I thought it would go cheap but it did not. It was a 2013 rzr 4 seater 1000. It had 9900 miles on it. It was a runs and drives unit. It looked like someone rear ended it. It would need all rear control arms, cv shafts, and potentially differential. I thought this thing should be cheap. It was an hour away from me. I was setup with a max bid of 3500. Then it opened the live auction and the last I saw was 6300. I am not sure what it's final price was because I was at work and I no longer cared so I left the page. Now when I go back to the page it just says lot sold. It won't tell me a price. I could not believe a smashed up machine with almost 10k miles was still worth money. Oh well. I have my eyes on another one for tomorrow and then 2 more next Thursday and after that I don't see anything else listed that catches my attention.
Ya I’ve been watching Sxs’s for about a year now. You need to be right spot and time. Best to buy newer because they don’t go for much more. You might be bummed but just keep watching, right deal should come your way.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya I’ve been watching Sxs’s for about a year now. You need to be right spot and time. Best to buy newer because they don’t go for much more. You might be bummed but just keep watching, right deal should come your way.
I like the thought of saving some money and I will try for a couple of weeks and if I can't even get anything close I am going to pull my deposit and wait to save up some more money and just purchase something running and driving local.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So the machine I attempted to get today was a 2017 RZR 800 with 1300 miles, 2 seater. The right front was basically gone. No wheel, no control arms, no cv shaft, no shock, and what appears to be a broken toe rod pulled from the rack. The machine sold for $5800. I will try my luck again next week. I am a little irritated with myself however. 2 slots before the RZR came on there was a 2007 Honda 420 that I was not aware of. It's description was normal wear and tear, dents/scratches. Labeled as running and driving. I really don't need another 4 wheeler but I shot some bids on it. I stopped myself at 1100 and it sold for 1250. If I had been better prepared I may have attempted 1500.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmer
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I attempted Wednesday to purchase a wrecked 2014 General with 3800 miles on auction. It was frame damaged. Looked like someone drove the nose into something so hard they broke the steering column and pushed it up into the dash and cracked it. It sold for $8050. Tried yesterday on auction to win a 2013 rzr 800 with 4400 miles that the right front wheel, control arm, cv shaft, and shock were broken off the machine but present, It sold for $4700. Tried today on a 2017 rzr 1000 @ 2200 miles with left front in the same condition as the right front of the 800 and it sold at $6700. This market is insane right now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I attempted Wednesday to purchase a wrecked 2014 General with 3800 miles on auction. It was frame damaged. Looked like someone drove the nose into something so hard they broke the steering column and pushed it up into the dash and cracked it. It sold for $8050.
Oh hell no…….

Reactions: Robobrainiac
advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So given the current circumstances with how crazy everything is on prices, combined with the fact the closest offroad park to me that allows side by sides has closed, my wife and I decided to purchase another 4 wheeler instead of a side by side. We have a 4 wheeler park within 1 hour of us. So that brings our total of 4 wheeler machines to 6. We now have plenty of seats for most of our family to ride. It was a neat purchase because this is the first "non project" 4 wheeler we purchased. A 99 Polaris 500 magnum 4wd. EVERYTHING works. Depending on weather we will try to get it out this weekend. Paid 2k for it.

IMG 20220117 084637

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just because I can't leave things alone I wanted to make the magnum a little cooler. It will be a surprise for my wife. She hasn't seen it yet :p

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B012CLK770?tag=sxsweb24-20

IMG 20220120 170916 IMG 20220120 170939 IMG 20220120 170948

Reactions: Backwoods
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What’s the old (blue/white) car in the background 😎
That is an old Chevy. A salesman I work with is replacing the head gasket in it and then selling it. I have been told it has no value because it's a 4 door. All original 1 owner and the best condition original I personally have ever seen.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That is an old Chevy. A salesman I work with is replacing the head gasket in it and then selling it. I have been told it has no value because it's a 4 door. All original 1 owner and the best condition original I personally have ever seen.
Well, certainly less value, but I wouldn’t say no value…

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, certainly less value, but I wouldn’t say no value…
I would strongly agree. I love the thing to death. If I had the extra money I would buy it.

Everyone that sees the car the first comment you get is how they wish it was 2 door. The thing is so clean. I don't remember the full story but from what I remember a husband and wife purchased it new. They were friends with the salesman I work with. They drove the car together for years and it was basically their pride and joy. Wife passed away and husband wouldn't drive it. It sat in a barn for years. The barn leaked and caused the rust on the top of the car. Otherwise the thing is perfect.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would strongly agree. I love the thing to death. If I had the extra money I would buy it.

Everyone that sees the car the first comment you get is how they wish it was 2 door. The thing is so clean. I don't remember the full story but from what I remember a husband and wife purchased it new. They were friends with the salesman I work with. They drove the car together for years and it was basically their pride and joy. Wife passed away and husband wouldn't drive it. It sat in a barn for years. The barn leaked and caused the rust on the top of the car. Otherwise the thing is perfect.
Cool story, I can see so little of it. Is it a 57 Belair??? What price have they set? Would you post up a full photo of it? 6 cylinder or V8, auto or standard?

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Cool story, I can see so little of it. Is it a 57 Belair??? What price have they set? Would you post up a full photo of it? 6 cylinder or V8, autor standard?
I can hook you up.
I don't recall all the specs but it's an inline 6 and I think it's a 56.

IMG 20220121 160353 IMG 20220121 160340 IMG 20220121 160314 IMG 20220121 160308

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry Rob, wasn’t meaning to distract from your thread so….😊

Reactions: Robobrainiac
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!