P1000 Has the break in procedures changed?

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went and get me a new 2021 pioneer 1000-5 and my question pertains to the break in period. I’ve read through a lot of the older posts mostly around 2016 and 2017 talking about taking it easy for the first 50-100 miles, no heavy towing or weight in the bed, run it through a handful of heat cycles, leave it out of sport mode for the first 50-100 miles, don’t run it wide open, don’t hold it at constant rpms, etc etc etc etc. Well I looked in the book today for my 2021 model and all it says about break in period was found on page 274 and it says

“Help assure your Honda SXS’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first operating day or 15 miles (25 km).
During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.”

Did something change on these newer models and that’s it now? Thats all there is to breaking them in now?

Reactions: Lady01
TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just went and get me a new 2021 pioneer 1000-5 and my question pertains to the break in period. I’ve read through a lot of the older posts mostly around 2016 and 2017 talking about taking it easy for the first 50-100 miles, no heavy towing or weight in the bed, run it through a handful of heat cycles, leave it out of sport mode for the first 50-100 miles, don’t run it wide open, don’t hold it at constant rpms, etc etc etc etc. Well I looked in the book today for my 2021 model and all it says about break in period was found on page 274 and it says

“Help assure your Honda SXS’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first operating day or 15 miles (25 km).

Did something change on these newer models and that’s it now? Thats all there is to breaking them in now?
Read that too, made me wounder the same thing.......

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Nothing has changed after the first 15 miles drive it like you're going to drive it.

AndyC

AndyC

Mar 2, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks all! I read through all those old posts mainly around 2016 and 2017 and thought maybe something had changed since my book only said 15 miles and all those other posts were saying 50-100 miles.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!