Calendar Hatfield Mccoy Trails [Jul 18, 2018] (Northfork, WV)

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Here are a couple clips of two black trails I went up after my axle was toast.

This is the same trail as the vids chooglin posted. All though I didn't have to be towed up the rest of the way I still needed a shove to the side by some willing hands for traction. As I'm sure Choog could confirm, the footage does not do the depth of the ruts justice...lol

This was the black trail that did my other axle in. It wasn't hard but it put my Pioneer in the perfect position to fully flex the suspension while at full lock to the left and pop that axle out. If you listen close you can hear it grinding just before I drive past the camera but it's hard to distinguish from the engine rattle.

It will probably be a bit before I get some vids edited but I will probably post some short clips here and there till I do.

And I want to make sure and stress that my axle failures were not caused by the torq-locker in any way but by failure on my part to properly check things out in my rush to get the P5 back together in time for the trip.

C

Chooglin

This is the same trail as the vids chooglin posted. All though I didn't have to be towed up the rest of the way I still needed a shove to the side by some willing hands for traction. As I'm sure Choog could confirm, the footage does not do the depth of the ruts justice...lol

This was the black trail that did my other axle in. It wasn't hard but it put my Pioneer in the perfect position to fully flex the suspension while at full lock to the left and pop that axle out. If you listen close you can hear it grinding just before I drive past the camera but it's hard to distinguish from the engine rattle.

It will probably be a bit before I get some vids edited but I will probably post some short clips here and there till I do.

And I want to make sure and stress that my axle failures were not caused by the torq-locker in any way but by failure on my part to properly check things out in my rush to get the P5 back together in time for the trip.
Great clips and yes , those ruts are very deep. I tried my best to stay on top of them but the 500 wanted no part of that. I think if I had gone a little slower , I mite have stayed on top of them.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I still got to ride everyday regardless just wasn't able to hit some of the harder trails like I wanted too. Still had a blast!
How’s the bike now. I have two brothers that are mechanic’s and after all that I think when I get one I’ll get one of them to put it in. Haha. Well everyone knows about those clips now. Good luck.
Caper

So you did the rest in rear wheel drive ? Yeah those tires don’t want to pull themselves out of the rut once your in. I’ve found the Blackwaters will pull me back out of the ruts. Can’t wait to get a locker. Haha. Looks like someone went through with ag tires to leave those ruts. I’ll try and put some stuff from Cape Breton on in a weeks time. When do you think you’ll have her back together.
Caper

Reactions: jay_man81
jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
How’s the bike now. I have two brothers that are mechanic’s and after all that I think when I get one I’ll get one of them to put it in. Haha. Well everyone knows about those clips now. Good luck.
Caper

So you did the rest in rear wheel drive ? Yeah those tires don’t want to pull themselves out of the rut once your in. I’ve found the Blackwaters will pull me back out of the ruts. Can’t wait to get a locker. Haha. Looks like someone went through with ag tires to leave those ruts. I’ll try and put some stuff from Cape Breton on in a weeks time. When do you think you’ll have her back together.
Caper
I have blackwaters on my P1k5 and those tires in the P5 would have made a difference I agree. I did do the rest if my riding in 2wd

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I have blackwaters on my P1k5 and those tires in the P5 would have made a difference I agree. I did do the rest if my riding in 2wd
Haha , what’s a P1k5 ? And good for you to keep going in two. Wow. I figure my Blackwaters will be throwing some mud next week. But 90 degrees the next few days will knock some mud down, more mud the better with my daughter. Haha.
Caper

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
When I went to swap in the heat treated locker, I pulled the axle shaft out of the diff cup. didn't think much of it, just pushed it back together and thought I was good. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how these axles went together and didn't know until it was too late that there is a snap ring that holds the axle shaft into the diff cup. So I ended up at full flex poping the shaft back out of the cup and then it caused all kind of havoc to the shaft end and the diff cup. My own fault for not checking how these were assembled. Same thing happened to my other front axle going up a black trail later on...lol
That soooo sucks!!
I'm still bummed that I couldn't make the trip.....
Looks like we may be doing another 'how-to' video, seeing that it'll probably be easier to change the boots (if the axles don't want to come out of the locker) by just disassembling the CV joint.:)

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
That soooo sucks!!
I'm still bummed that I couldn't make the trip.....
Looks like we may be doing another 'how-to' video, seeing that it'll probably be easier to change the boots (if the axles don't want to come out of the locker) by just disassembling the CV joint.:)
Oh and I got the P1j5 . Haha, Da. I’m old. Haha
Caper

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sweet pics guys. I’m heading with the Toyhauler there Friday with some friends we planned a trip with in May. Looking forward to hitting the trails there. We’re staying at Twin Hollow campground in Gilbert. Sorry for highjaking your thread. Carry on.

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Sweet pics guys. I’m heading with the Toyhauler there Friday with some friends we planned a trip with in May. Looking forward to hitting the trails there. We’re staying at Twin Hollow campground in Gilbert. Sorry for highjaking your thread. Carry on.
Great place! Great location! Be sure to try their ribs- If they're still doing that.

Reactions: Caper and Remington
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Hijack , my wife’s a teacher, haha, anytime. And no I didn’t mean hijack my wife. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Remington
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
So Remington how far from home is that.
Caper

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So Remington how far from home is that.
Caper
#1 I’m dyslexic (I am for real! transposing numbers have nothing to do with being dyslexic but I like the jokes :)) so my gramor and spelling sucks even with spell check too many corrections to choose from lol. Some of my days are better than others, but I learn to cope. No worries.
#2 It’s about 500 miles, 7-8 hrs. With the toyhauler it’s about 9-10hrs. With stoping for gas and to keep the passenger seat cover happy:D

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
#1 I’m dyslexic (I am for real! transposing numbers have nothing to do with being dyslexic but I like the jokes :)) so my gramor and spelling sucks even with spell check too many corrections to choose from lol. Some of my days are better than others, but I learn to cope. No worries.
#2 It’s about 500 miles, 7-8 hrs. With the toyhauler it’s about 9-10hrs. With stoping for gas and to keep the passenger seat cover happy:D
Lol. Sorry man. My spelling is probably worse than yours. And I’m not dyslexic. My wife corrects me every day. Haha. And not just spelling. Haha. That’s a good trip. That’s about from here to Portland Maine. I’ve done it. And my seat cover has to stop from here to Cape Breton. 3 hours. Haha. Have a great trip. Say hi to the boys , and girls, for me. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Remington
Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Visit Hatfield cemetery. Cool place. A little bit of a walk after you park but worth it. Also go to Keith's bar in Man and get a burger and beer.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Visit Hatfield cemetery. Cool place. A little bit of a walk after you park but worth it. Also go to Keith's bar in Man and get a burger and beer.
I love those old cemeteries. We have some back to the 1700’s , but the Hatfields , very cool.
Caper

Reactions: Chooglin
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Lol. Sorry man. My spelling is probably worse than yours. And I’m not dyslexic. My wife corrects me every day. Haha. And not just spelling. Haha. That’s a good trip. That’s about from here to Portland Maine. I’ve done it. And my seat cover has to stop from here to Cape Breton. 3 hours. Haha. Have a great trip. Say hi to the boys , and girls, for me. Haha
Caper
No worries. Most folks don’t know cuz I don’t usually say, that’s because most don’t understand it and label you wired :eek: @trigger says I’m weird anyway lol. Do not let your hart be troubled. We’re good.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!