P500 Hauling P5 in back of truck Question

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
How do you guys keep the front bumper off the bed?

I want to improve on my "system".

I was looking at the Cabela's Wheel Chocks but think that will push the wheels farther out on the tailgate which I do not want to do.

The Mighty Tite chocks look nice but 350.00... Wow!

Right now I am thinking of just making some with scrap lumber screwed to some plywood.

JW

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood the same width as my truck and about 3' tall and slide it between the bumper and the bed. Seems to work good. A friend of mine uses rubber boat bumpers like you use to keep a boat from rubbing on the dock but since my bed is shorter I found they push the p500 further back on the tailgate.

Reactions: RevelDogs and jwcbf
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
How do you guys keep the front bumper off the bed?

I want to improve on my "system".

I was looking at the Cabela's Wheel Chocks but think that will push the wheels farther out on the tailgate which I do not want to do.

The Mighty Tite chocks look nice but 350.00... Wow!

Right now I am thinking of just making some with scrap lumber screwed to some plywood.

JW
Unfortunately for me it was after I'd already damaged the head of my box when I discovered that backing it in was the preferred method. The tires come up against the bed box and the rest is well above it. Rides the best that way.

Reactions: jwcbf
J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen!

Lets hear some more...

Montecresto... I too damaged the front of my box.... I used a ratcheting Tie down to pull it back out.

JW

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the replies Gentlemen!

Lets hear some more...

Montecresto... I too damaged the front of my box.... I used a ratcheting Tie down to pull it back out.

JW
That's great. Mine was damaged so bad I had to do more. I pulled it out with a come-a-long, then had to beat the top down some, then I put a piece of steel channel over the entire width, now I'm going to have my Rhino liner sprayed in up and over the channel.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I took 3/4" pressure treated plywood and dropped it in my box with tailgate down, in this way it distributes the weight in the old body style (OBS) power stroke Ford extra cab shortbox. Next I added 4" by 4" by 4' wood post across the front of the plywood just back from the front of box, such that the bumper and winch was not going to hit the rear window or box. As my wide tire and rim configuration iirc 54" wide and wanna climb the fender wells what I have are a couple of 2 by 6's stacked to make a 4 by 6 by a foot long and those sit just inside the truck wheel wells. I use 2" wide ratchet straps at each corner. Ratchet straps are hooked onto the a arms and over the tire then to box. So far has worked great. Simple, secure very fast to load/unload, folding ramps (lengthwise) slide into chaulks under the machine.

My latest plan is to clean up spare Class V trailer hitch and attach 2" receivers either side of the stock one at UTV width. Then build a rear deck that replaces the tailgate and will install into the extra receivers, in this way I can account for my 24" deep work box diesel fuel cell combo on my work truck. This truck is an '97 OBS F350 crew cab short box, that is equipped with rear air bag overloads so I can adjust ride height. Will put up pix when I get it done.

jrc

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Any chance someone can posts some pics on their setup?

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015

I agree... please.

JRC, I would like to see your plywood set-up with and without your sxs if not too much trouble.

JW

Reactions: uncyboo
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I agree... please.

JRC, I would like to see your plywood set-up with and without your sxs if not too much trouble.

JW

Sure truck is full of junk as I cleaned out my shop and have not made it to the refuse yard, as soon as its empty I'll post some up.

jrc

J

jwcbf

Dec 9, 2015
Sure truck is full of junk as I cleaned out my shop and have not made it to the refuse yard, as soon as its empty I'll post some up.

jrc
Roger That.

Thanks JRC!

advertisement
E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks jrc. My new 500 is arriving in a couple of weeks and I have to figure out a way I can transport it using a rented pickup truck as my car can't tow it.

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
I haul mine in my 8ft bed truck. All tires sit in the bed but have to keep the tailgate down. I have rhino lining so i just softly bump it up against front of bed and rachet strap it down. I am going to probably do the small piece of plywood trick so it doesnt rub through rhino lining.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I have found that ratchet strapping (I.e., from top A arm), over tire then downward to truck box or trailer seems to work best for roads I'm on. This allows the machine flex on it's suspension somewhat, yet remain secure. If you hook directly to frame and ratchet down, when you hit a larger bump machine suspension compresses and ratchet come off or tries to tear ratchet out of box/ trailer tie points. Over tire "holds" tires down and let's suspension work, which I think is easier on the unit and whatever it's hauled in as the energy is disipated via UTV suspension rather then transferred to haul vehicle.

I ensure there is some sort of bump stop adjacent to cab to protect the box front, cab and rear window. Buddy of mine has done two rear windows and mashed the cab and box by not ratcheting over the tires... Once with ATV and last season with UTV... nasty mess.

jrc

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Backing your P-5 into the truck bed is the paramount way to transport it. The tires project beyond anything else and contact the bed rail at its outer edges where its strongest. No damage or worries whatsoever!

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks guys. I'll definitely back it in. So since I don't have a truck, I'll have to rent one whenever I'm not using it near where I store it. Enterprise.com rents Nissan Frontier or similar trucks (unless I spend quite a bit more and rent a full size truck, which I'm hoping to avoid). It's bed is 61" wide (44" between the wells) and 73" long Compare 2016 Nissan Frontier Models . As I'm writing this, I'm guessing it will probably not work as the machine is 103" long, but would love to hear from somebody who has actual experience with it. What's the minimum bed length you guys think it needs?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks guys. I'll definitely back it in. So since I don't have a truck, I'll have to rent one whenever I'm not using it near where I store it. Enterprise.com rents Nissan Frontier or similar trucks (unless I spend quite a bit more and rent a full size truck, which I'm hoping to avoid). It's bed is 61" wide (44" between the wells) and 73" long Compare 2016 Nissan Frontier Models . As I'm writing this, I'm guessing it will probably not work as the machine is 103" long, but would love to hear from somebody who has actual experience with it. What's the minimum bed length you guys think it needs?
The front tires set on the tailgate of my truck with no troubles at all. The 44" between the wheel wells doesn't sound right. My truck has 51" between the wheel wells and the P-5 slips just between them.

E

Edog

Jan 7, 2016
If they didn't slip between them, would it be possible to back over the wheel wells? 44" on the Nissan sounds about right if the bed is 61" wide and each well is about 9" wide.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If they didn't slip between them, would it be possible to back over the wheel wells? 44" on the Nissan sounds about right if the bed is 61" wide and each well is about 9" wide.
I see. It must be a mini truck. I don't know about backing over the wheel wells but it seems reasonable enough. I always enter and exit the bed in four wheel drive.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Backing your P-5 into the truck bed is the paramount way to transport it. The tires project beyond anything else and contact the bed rail at its outer edges where its strongest. No damage or worries whatsoever!
I agree with backing it in. Plus the weight will be more to the front of the bed instead of the rear. Should haul a little better.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I agree with backing it in. Plus the weight will be more to the front of the bed instead of the rear. Should haul a little better.
Yep, yep. You're thinking like a pro now Zxy!!!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!