P500 Hauling question

bowhunterbob

bowhunterbob

Feb 28, 2021
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 520
I just recently purchased a P520. I will be hauling it on a 6x10 aluminum trailer with a 2019 Toyota Tacoma. When going highway speeds of 70mph, is it necessary to take off the plastic roof or windshield for safety or gas mileage purposes? Most trips will be a few hours, but I will also be taking it to Idaho from Pennsylvania on a yearly trip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: TxDoc
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I haul my P500 on a 5 x 8. I leave the Honda roof on, Honda windshield vented, and Honda rear plastic panel vented as well. No issues to date . . .

Reactions: Bigtee
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
If you have the Honda tip up window make sure it is closed when hauling or the rubber piece at the bottom will fall off and I don't think I would haul it backwards other than that never had a problem.

Reactions: HiFive and Bigtee
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You would likely get better mileage by pulling your windshield for that Idaho trip. Locally I wouldn’t bother.

Reactions: alloutdoors
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If you have the Honda tip up window make sure it is closed when hauling or the rubber piece at the bottom will fall off and I don't think I would haul it backwards other than that never had a problem.
I had to glue on the rubber edges, open the front and back to allow air to pass. closed up those things will lower you fuel mileage.

Reactions: Smitty335
G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
I've had 3 utvs/carts for the past 10 years, always hauled each in the bed of a Tundra. All 3 with half or full windshields and roofs. Never removed windshield or roof and never a problem. (I know all are mounted securely.) My commutes are typically an hour or less but speeds up to 75 or so on Interstate. I can't speak to the air flow and resistance differences of bed vs trailer location but can't imagine it's significant.

Btw, good luck with your bowhunting. That's my strong preference as well, I bowhunt through gun season. It gives me an excuse for my very modest success!

C

cccan

Nov 8, 2016
edmonton
Ownership

1. 500
My 520 has a fabric roof , back panel and half windshield, I haul it on a 14ft trailer and use my f150 or Tacoma..no problems at all.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I used a 2019 4x4 Tacoma with a 6x10 steel trailer this summer. The p520 has a Honda roof, no windshield and towed with no problems. MPG did drop by 4. I have a manual transmission, don’t know what an automatic will do.

bowhunterbob

bowhunterbob

Feb 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 520
I've had 3 utvs/carts for the past 10 years, always hauled each in the bed of a Tundra. All 3 with half or full windshields and roofs. Never removed windshield or roof and never a problem. (I know all are mounted securely.) My commutes are typically an hour or less but speeds up to 75 or so on Interstate. I can't speak to the air flow and resistance differences of bed vs trailer location but can't imagine it's significant.

Btw, good luck with your bowhunting. That's my strong preference as well, I bowhunt through gun season. It gives me an excuse for my very modest success!
Great reassurance, thank you. Good luck to you as well this bowhunting season! Our rut here is finally in full swing.

bowhunterbob

bowhunterbob

Feb 28, 2021
Ownership

1. 520
I used a 2019 4x4 Tacoma with a 6x10 steel trailer this summer. The p520 has a Honda roof, no windshield and towed with no problems. MPG did drop by 4. I have a manual transmission, don’t know what an automatic will do.
I have the automatic and it dropped by 9mpg from 23 to 14. Very disappointed.

Reactions: Dave75
G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
Great reassurance, thank you. Good luck to you as well this bowhunting season! Our rut here is finally in full swing.
Yes, though a long-time resident of only the southeast, I do realize the rut in most other parts of the country is November or December. In my area the general observation/consensus is it peaks around January 10th or so. Enjoy!

Reactions: Dave75
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I have the Honda hard coat windshield and an EMP plastic roof. I've towed for 500-600 miles with both on and not vented. Towed on a 5x8 utility trailer. No issues at all and because of the close proximity to the tow vehicle, very few bugs on the windshield.

Rob

S

slimshaney

Jun 10, 2016
idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I just purchased a used p500 and put in the back of my 6.5' truck. Used 2x10 boards to help distrubute the weight (not sure if it helped). Took the front bumper off and pulled it in forwards. Plexiglas windshield and Honda roof in place for 300+ miles with no issues at 80mph......except now I have bugs splattered on my windshield :) Dummy me, no pictures.

Reactions: trigger

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!