P1000 Having some engine rattle

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Well I finally got all my kinks worked out from water being in the engine (I had no issues with motor when water got in it. I was having clutch slippage and some electrical connectors got wet which was causing more issues than anything) and am now having some engine rattle.

The noise only seems to happen between 3k and 4k rmps. The noise is not as noticeable until you are moving, while parked and reeving the motor between the 3k-4k rmps there is a slight noise but nothing like while driving. I wouldn't say that the motor is knocking it is more like a chatter/rattle and seems to be up under the seat not towards the rear of the sxs.

I guess my questions would be could this be something in the motor or has there been some washer/bolts that have came loose on other sxs that has caused this noise.

I will say and as much as I hate saying it I did use sea foam (which was recommended by a friend that is knowledgeable with mechanics and has used this product) in fresh gas through the fuel tank as per directions. I am not formilar with this product but was told that he had used it in his maverick that had been swamped and it would pull some of the moisture that was left in the fuel tank/system and would do a little bit of internal cleaning. With this being said the noise started after adding this into the fuel but could just be a coincidence.

I do have the extended warranty on my machine and might have to take it in to have them take a look but would rather not due to them having the machine for a length of time and the other by voiding my warranty if there is still signs of water.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Don't think your problem is seafoam related! I've use seafoam for years with no problems in autos, atv, and utv! Fuel additives used to remove water from fuel systems such as Heet work great as well.
IMG 6216

P

powertech

Dec 27, 2016
East Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If there was water in the cylinders and the engine shut off due to water ingestion then there is a good possibility that it bent the connecting rods. I'm working on one as we speak with the same issue. It bent both of them. With the rods bent it shortens the length allowing the bottom of the piston to contact the crankshaft causing noise. You can pull off the oil pan sump from the bottom of the engine and see the rods. Do not run it until you are sure because the pistons will usually be side loading pressure on the cylinders also.

Reactions: russknight
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Would it make a difference in it sitting still and while driving. It is noticeably noise while driving.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
If I remember correctly (happened almost 4 months ago the machine did not cut off while in water it came up through the front intake but was will running

P

powertech

Dec 27, 2016
East Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As stated sea foam would not cause a problem. Are you saying your unit got swamped four months ago and you are just now getting it running? Has it been running ok for four months and the noise just started? I'm a little confused. If water came through the intake and made it to the cylinders while the engine was running there is a good possibility it bent the rods. The engine would not likely stay running. Did you pull the spark plugs and and get any water? Just trying to help.

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
As stated sea foam would not cause a problem. Are you saying your unit got swamped four months ago and you are just now getting it running? Has it been running ok for four months and the noise just started? I'm a little confused. If water came through the intake and made it to the cylinders while the engine was running there is a good possibility it bent the rods. The engine would not likely stay running. Did you pull the spark plugs and and get any water? Just trying to help.
When I swamped my sxs the water came through the intake. We drained all water and fluids multiple times and seemed to had gotten all the water out of the engine. We did not pull spark plugs being it was still running but would not go into gear (there was water in one of the connectors and was causing fouling issues and the transmission would go into a limp mode. Since then I have driven it from the day I swamped it until tonight loading it up onto the trailer.

I have had no noises from motor until this week and have used it almost daily around the house for a minimum of 45 minutes (we have 300 acres so me and the family like to cruise around the property in the evenings and plus it has been used for hunting a good bit this year).

When I say we have been trying to get it running I was more referring to my transmission issue not the motor. I haven't had one issue from motor since I have sunk it.

I appreciate the questions, this is why I started this thread. Please feel free to ask away.

I will also have more insight tomorrow being I'm using it for a dove hunt for a longer period of time.

Reactions: sharp
Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
Just a little clarification about the swamping situation. When the water came through the intake I had no clue. There were no signs of water getting into the motor. It never cut off or sputtered. When I got out the other side the hole (which I came out in reverse with out being pulled out) I put it in park still running and when I went to put it in drive the unit would not move. I left the sxs running while I got pulled to the trailer where we discovered water had gotten into the motor being discoloration of the oil and water in my air box behind the seat.

Since then I have done 4 oil changes plus changing of filters and a new air filter.

There seems to be no signs of water in oil since last oil change.

Reactions: CPope
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Probably wouldn't hurt to do a compression/leak down test.

Reactions: sharp
wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
I have an engine noise that seems to occur after it's warmed up and more so when running at lower rpms in higher gears...it sounds more like a chatter and I think it's bc my valves need to be adjusted.

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
P

powertech

Dec 27, 2016
East Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If the engine has survived that long I would say there are no bent rods. If the noise is in the engine it should be noticeable when driving or revving it up while parked. Is the noise constant at the same rpm always?

Justin21

Justin21

Mar 25, 2016
Jacksonville, Fl
I have an engine noise that seems to occur after it's warmed up and more so when running at lower rpms in higher gears...it sounds more like a chatter and I think it's bc my valves need to be adjusted.

After riding it this weekend the noise started to seem to get worse. But was told by a few people it doesn't sound like a knock. I haven't adjusted my valves but we are going to check and see what the problem is here soon. I will keep everyone updated when we get into the motor.

Reactions: Eltobgi
M

Mario17623

Sep 1, 2018
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just started to have this problem with my Honda it does like a knocking noise, and I have notice when I took all the plastics and the rear seat. part of the engine seems to be cleaner, like if it a new part, I took picture not sure if everyone’s is like that. I been the only owner and I haven’t taken it to any places to get repairs. I also added link of the sound it makes

B

Bbarker

Jul 19, 2018
East kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just started to have this problem with my Honda it does like a knocking noise, and I have notice when I took all the plastics and the rear seat. part of the engine seems to be cleaner, like if it a new part, I took picture not sure if everyone’s is like that. I been the only owner and I haven’t taken it to any places to get repairs. I also added link of the sound it makes

View attachment 138614
Did you have the clutch upgrade?reason I'm asking is I had a 16 model 1000,had upgrade done and about a month later started making about that same noise.took back to dealer they said complete engine failure ,178 days later said they give up on trying to fix it and gave me a new 18 model

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

View attachment 138614
The clean part is the upgraded clutch housing. Probably done at the dealer before you bought it. How many miles since you bought it?

M

Mario17623

Sep 1, 2018
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 138614[/QUOTE]
Did you have the clutch upgrade?reason I'm asking is I had a 16 model 1000,had upgrade done and about a month later started making about that same noise.took back to dealer they said complete engine failure ,178 days later said they give up on trying to fix it and gave me a new 18 model

Wow I just remembered about that I did take it to Honda , but the noise happened before they added part

M

Mario17623

Sep 1, 2018
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The clean part is the upgraded clutch housing. Probably done at the dealer before you bought it. How many miles since you bought it?

I got it with 18 miles, thanks for letting me know about part. I can’t believe I forgot that I took it for that recall. The noise was already going on before I took it in, I thought that would of fixed it but Honda told me no that its not part of recall, and they will have to diagnose it but it be extra charge

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From all that has been described, I bet it needs the valves adjusted. Mine makes a noise that I believe is the valves - when under load at low rpm.

Waylan

Reactions: Lindyrig
H

HondaTech

Bent rod for anybody interested.

This guy opted to just replace the 1 rod only, I believe it was the rear cylinder.

We installed a new rod and piston and haven't seen him back yet. Apparently he'd gotten it pretty cheap at auction.

20180803 160947

Reactions: russknight
M

Mario17623

Sep 1, 2018
Dallas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I che
From all that has been described, I bet it needs the valves adjusted. Mine makes a noise that I believe is the valves - when under load at low rpm.

Waylan
i checked valves and they seem to be in spec, unless I am doing it wrong by reading the feeler wrong. I going based on manual

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!