P1000 Heat Issue Input

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 3 seat p1k and i live in arizona and its summer, my first ride with no roof no windshield and no modifications in a 110* day was unbearable,thought it was the worst mistake i ever made compared to my RZR 900 2 seater which is no gem either in heat but was liveable. the first thing i did was go to home depot and buy a roll of foil back insulation that everyone talks about and fitted it so the heat goes behind the seat and and up in front of the bed, this made it very liveable went from a 10 down to a 5 but you five seater people are going to cook your rear passengers. all machines have issues my friends rino with roof and full windshield is just as bad. i have a roof now and it is still very acceptable but not great but im riding in 100* temps ill put a windshield on in september when it cools off a bit im sure it will be a bit more noticeable all in all i love this machine.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This helps too...
20160805 182704

20160805 182722

20160805 182735

Johnny_C

Johnny_C

Nov 19, 2015
Western N. Carolina
I just ordered 2 of the 3" fans, and I
am going to add an aftermarket horn,
while I am working on that.

Thanks!

John

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
HondaTech - I appreciate your responses on this forum so I'll answer even though it's similar to a lot of other responses.

1. This is my first sxs so I cant really compare with others But this is at least an 8 / 10 without mods (i live in Canada heat). Our ride time was definitely reduced. Sometimes we would want to ride but not bother because of heat issue.
2. Add heat shielding to back of plastic between top and bottom seat. Doubled it in the worst spot. Plastic temp went from 135 degrees to 105 degrees. Now 4/10 on your scale. Added bilge fan directed towards header. Temp went down to about 80. Now 1/10 on your scale. Cant complain about that - just not as nice a my air condition seats in the truck.
3. I took the windshield off for summer - no problems with heat.
4. Tried to get the rubber pad prototype in july but it was a no-go. In april, I figured I could do better than any fix that might be coming and faster so I didnt really try the dealer route.

Some heat in winter is nice but that plastic is too hot for any climate.

Edit - forgot to mention - the bilge fan also significantly reduced other temperatures around the cab - front seat and back seat.

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I live in north Louisiana and the heat is bad in the summer. I used the silver heat shield under the seat and that made an ok difference. Then I used header wrap on the exhaust. I think that made a pretty big difference. I've also got a bilge fan about to go on and I think that should improve it even further. I have 2 children that ride in the back at all times so their comfort and safety is very important to me.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't have any of the answers you are looking for but let me share this.
My grandson is 3. A friend allowed us to take his 1000 for a ride. It was hot. 20 minutes later we are having fun when he (grandson) screamed and started crying. What happened was, the back of his little leg had touched the black plastic and burned him enough that it was still red a couple hours later. All he wanted was for me to let him get out.

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am wondering those of you that got the Honda rubber mat installed for the heat problem, is it the answer to our problem or a waste of time? I'm scheduled to get one installed this Tuesday at my Dealers.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Heat discomfort is 9 out of 10! Steam discomfort is 10 out of 10!
1. I added under seat silver bubble barrier. Helped heat about 10% and steam about 50% .
2. I added "cool it" thermal barrier to plastic seat mid-panel. Helped heat about 20% and steam about 20%.
3. Honda installed prototype "heat shield". It consisted of a rubber mat under seat and weather stripping for the top of the plastic seat mid-panel. It helped the heat about 10% and steam 80%.
4. I re-installed my silver bubble barrier under seat on top of the Honda barrier.
5. I installed 4" bilge fan under seat on passenger side blowing across headers toward rear. It is a huge help! The heat is 90% gone. It is easy to realize you forgot to turn it on after a stop. When you turn it on, the ambient heat is pulled out. The steam is all but gone. I only notice the steam smell now, not the actual burning on my rear!
6. In the future, I am going to add "cool it" material to the plastic panel behind my calves. I think it will help with the general ambient heat in the cab.
What's this "cool it" material?...thanks

advertisement
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am wondering those of you that got the Honda rubber mat installed for the heat problem, is it the answer to our problem or a waste of time? I'm scheduled to get one installed this Tuesday at my Dealers.
Not a total waste of time. It mostly cures the steaming issues.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm wondering if a thick visquene would work? When I lived in S.E. Alaska, it fixed everything. :)

I used this. Tucked about 8 inches up behind the backrest on the outside of the seat, not underneath the black plastic. Knocked down the heat, especially for the center seat, and tames the steam, although sometimes you can still feel it. The roll is enough to make two. $18 and about 30 minutes. Up here it's not as much of an issue as with people in the lower 48. I'm thinking the heat will be welcome come fall and winter.

Shop Reflectix 33.3-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (16-in W x 25-ft L) at Lowes.com

Reactions: dotman1
Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this. Tucked about 8 inches up behind the backrest on the outside of the seat, not underneath the black plastic. Knocked down the heat, especially for the center seat, and tames the steam, although sometimes you can still feel it. The roll is enough to make two. $18 and about 30 minutes. Up here it's not as much of an issue as with people in the lower 48. I'm thinking the heat will be welcome come fall and winter.

Shop Reflectix 33.3-sq ft Reflective Roll Insulation (16-in W x 25-ft L) at Lowes.com
I just got back from Lowes with the 24" roll and will do that today. The visquene comment was about the Honda rubber mat. Seems simple if it was needed. I do agree, not near the issue here as in the south.

Reactions: AKRider
cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The other part of the fix is a rubber seal on top of the black midpanel. Seals between mid panel and lower seat back.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The other part of the fix is a rubber seal on top of the black midpanel. Seals between mid panel and lower seat back.
I picked up some adhesive foam weather stripping to use. Think that will work?

cwalton

cwalton

Who has more fun!
Lifetime Member
Mar 21, 2016
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Will work, but hondas weatherstripping is nice.

Revtech100

Revtech100

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2016
Anchorage, AK
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Quick question, did you use any adhesive or do you just lay the insulation on with nothing?

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No adhesive. That way I can easily remove it for cleaning. I also use the space under the drivers side for storage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!