Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
As P1K5Dave & Adan490 suggest, here's another vote for the Hillbilly Brake . . . and a couple of hints.

The brake is much easier to install if you use a small amount of superglue to fix the fender washer to the nut so you can get both into position with one finger. When you're installing the brake, you'll see what I mean.

Once the brake "holder" is installed, you may want to test to see if it has enough holding power on the slope. If you need to increase that, the way I did it is to adjust the length of the actuator rod that goes forward from the brake pedal lever through the "firewall" (not really a firewall). To do that loosen the lock nut at the forward edge of the clevis, then rotate the threaded rod a few turns clockwise (looking forward). Test HB Brake latching. Further adjust if needed or tighten locknut. I found it didn't take but a few turns to get mine to brake securely on my 22 degree test hill.
I can't believe I waited so long to get the HB system after I got it.

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had my Pioneer less than two weeks. It has 2 miles on it, and a Hillbilly brake already.
I wanted a parking brake when I trailered it home. I hate the idea of the machine rocking forward and back, banging on the parking pawl over and over. I tied it down good and put it in neutral. 260 miles later and it had not moved.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve had my Pioneer less than two weeks. It has 2 miles on it, and a Hillbilly brake already.
I wanted a parking brake when I trailered it home. I hate the idea of the machine rocking forward and back, banging on the parking pawl over and over. I tied it down good and put it in neutral. 260 miles later and it had not moved.
Yep, and I like the brake on all wheels.

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Something feels wrong about constant line pressure to hold the machine, but it's hell on it with no brake at all."

Nothing strange about using hydraulic pressure lock the brakes for parking, this is pretty much SOP any more. This is the same system that is used on a majority of new cars today. While mechanical parking brakes were the norm in years past, the manufacturers have pretty much dispensed with a separate mechanical parking brake and simply use the anti-lock systems to pressurize and hold the brakes when you set "the parking brake". Not all cars are set up this way, but it is very common. This is a cheaper and potentially safer alternative to mechanical systems.
I toured a coal mine that was seven miles underground. Their standard pickup trucks had a floor mount hand-pumped hydraulic brake that locked the drive shaft. A bleed valve would release the "park brake."

But back to the issue, I agree there should be a park brake on the Pioneer. If I'm on a steep incline, I'd like the weight of the machine on the brakes, not the clutch/tranny.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The logs are very large, very green, and cut 18"-20" diameter. I'm a fit 185lbs person and it takes me 80% effort to lift each of them. I'd guess they are about 125lbs-150lbs each. So, 600lbs minimum on the front, 1800lbs on the rear. Rough terrain, but low speed and short distance. The pioneer is 4 years old and has only 245 (hard duty) miles on it.

View attachment 314996
Well no kidding it's light in the front, 1800 lbs by your estimate on a 1000 lbs rated bed capacity in steep terrain. People wonder why Honda denies warranty claims when stuff like this gets posted weekly.

Props on the front rack solution. A low trailer to bear the weight behind the machine might be a safer solution being as it rated to tow up to 2000 lbs. But I would not go down steep hill with a loaded trailer like that.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well no kidding it's light in the front, 1800 lbs by your estimate on a 1000 lbs rated bed capacity in steep terrain. People wonder why Honda denies warranty claims when stuff like this gets posted weekly.

Props on the front rack solution. A low trailer to bear the weight behind the machine might be a safer solution being as it rated to tow up to 2000 lbs. But I would not go down steep hill with a loaded trailer like that.

When I see how hard people are on these Honda machines and Polaris Rangers, mine should last forever just trail riding with my kids

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I toured a coal mine that was seven miles underground. Their standard pickup trucks had a floor mount hand-pumped hydraulic brake that locked the drive shaft. A bleed valve would release the "park brake."
Seven miles?? Are you sure that figure is correct? The link is the to claimed deepest at well under 2 miles.

Deepest mine in US

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had to laugh after I got out of the shower today when I got dressed, I just grabbed clothing out of the closet in the dark, started putting my clothes on, green under wear, green under tee shirt, green flannel, shirt, fleece lined pants, socks and shoes wern't green. HA!

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Seven miles?? Are you sure that figure is correct? The link is the to claimed deepest at well under 2 miles.

Deepest mine in US
I should have been clearer: seven miles travelling from the air dam at the surface to where we stopped at the deepest longwall and the guy set the brake. Not vertical.
My forthcoming seven mile vertical trip will go much farther than that and end in the hot place.

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should have been clearer: seven miles travelling from the air dam at the surface to where we stopped at the deepest longwall and the guy set the brake. Not vertical.
My forthcoming seven mile vertical trip will go much farther than that and end in the hot place.
Thanks! Now I can sleep well tonight without waking up in a cold sweat.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
That's a lot of weight on the poor little Honda 1000. Is the suspension bottomed out? How well does the engine and DCT handle it? Do you use low range?

N

Neverest

Dec 13, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a lot of weight on the poor little Honda 1000. Is the suspension bottomed out? How well does the engine and DCT handle it? Do you use low range?
Definitely a lot of weight. It handles it fine. Yes, low range for sure on the steep ridges. The suspension is not bottomed out, but you can see it is sagged, as it should be.

As I think I mentioned, the transmission on the Pioneer is the only reason I don't upgrade to the Can-am Defender with the 6' bed. The Honda needs a design update in a major way.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had to laugh after I got out of the shower today when I got dressed, I just grabbed clothing out of the closet in the dark, started putting my clothes on, green under wear, green under tee shirt, green flannel, shirt, fleece lined pants, socks and shoes wern't green. HA!
Gotta be the wrong thread!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!