Helmet recommendation needed

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I may take my p1000-5 to an offroad park early next year where helmets are required on utv/atv riders. I currently do not own any helmets. Some combination of me, my wife, 8 yo daughter and 4 yo son will be going.

On a helmet, do I need:
A visor (I have a roof)?
Face shield?
Full face?
Removable, washable liner?

Or can I get buy with a cheap open helmet?

I don't want to spend a whole lot since they most likely won't be worn outside of a park that requires them. 90 percent of my pioneers use will be low speed at my deer lease.

Thanks.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
For the kids, I'd definitely go full face with goggles no matter what. For the wife and yourself whatever is comfortable but remember teeth aren't cheap!

Reactions: Hondoman
Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the kids, I'd definitely go full face with goggles no matter what. For the wife and yourself whatever is comfortable but remember teeth aren't cheap!
Haha, I gotcha. I forgot to mention I'm in Texas and it does get warm here sometimes. Would open face be best in this regard?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What's your head/face worth?
Exactly, which is why i don't have one.

For the kiddos, i'd go the cheapest DOT full face you can find, simply because they will outgrow it quickly. Also, check the reviews. My BIL got some off Amazon real cheap...and the helmets were actually pretty nice...but they stank like weird plastic chemicals. Don't want to turn the kids into democrats now, do we?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
After my last couple of rides, thinking about a tilt up full face shield for my full face helmet

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My last 2 dirt helmets have been Fly Racing helmets. I like the fit. My wife and son also have Fly helmets. We did find the shell on the HJC kids helmets to be a bit smaller and lighter so we bought a kids HJC helmet for my son to wear til he grows into the Fly a bit.

IMG 20170930 132710276

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have a full face MX style currently.
Thinking about switching to a half helmet.
Easyer to talk to (and hear) the wife that way.

I have yet to bang my head in the SxS but I figure that is the main consideration.
I'm a stickler for wearing a seat belt so I figure there are limited opportunities for where I could hit my head.

Usually places requier a DOT rating.
I dont like Snell for off road - shell and padding are too firm.
Snell is set up for on road where you can get a really hard hit.
I figure the ROPS will protect me - once its not protecting me I have bigger problems that helmet rating.

My kids are big.
We rode ATVs with them so full face.
No opinion on kids in a SxS.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Haha, I gotcha. I forgot to mention I'm in Texas and it does get warm here sometimes. Would open face be best in this regard?

My seven y/o has HJC ($70) and goggles ($13), I have a full face I use when I'm doing serious riding and when he's riding I use a half face, much more freedom to talk and see.

advertisement
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn’t count on the roll cage for much. The factory ROPS will crush like tin foil.

The real question is what is your or your children’s lives worth? A quality helmet is cheap insurance against a head / brain injury. I raced off road for decades and saw the consequences of cheap helmets.

Bell or Arai are the helmets I trust with my family’s lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: elkguide
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
i got some full face helemts from Amazon for the kids. For me and my wife (she doesnt ride as much), I have full face helmets and half helmets depending on where we ride and the time of year.

IMG 0134

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
i got some full face helemts from Amazon for the kids. For me and my wife (she doesnt ride as much), I have full face helmets and half helmets depending on where we ride and the time of year.

View attachment 59782
Same here. I have a shelf ten foot long in garage loaded with helmets.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crazy if you really think about it, people will spend $600 - 1000 on a stereo, but cheap out on the most important piece of safety equipment you can have on a motorcycle.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crazy if you really think about it, people will spend $600 - 1000 on a stereo, but cheap out on the most important piece of safety equipment you can have on a motorcycle.

x100 likes, can't listen to the music and enjoy it if your skull is caved in.

Reactions: Mudwing
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Image Good info in here on helmets. This is the January 2018 edition.
Ok, I may take my p1000-5 to an offroad park early next year where helmets are required on utv/atv riders. I currently do not own any helmets. Some combination of me, my wife, 8 yo daughter and 4 yo son will be going.

On a helmet, do I need:
A visor (I have a roof)?
Face shield?
Full face?
Removable, washable liner?

Or can I get buy with a cheap open helmet?

I don't want to spend a whole lot since they most likely won't be worn outside of a park that requires them. 90 percent of my pioneers use will be low speed at my deer lease.

Thanks.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I average less than 5mph...

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have ridden my 2 motorcycles for over 125,000 with HJC helmets and will continue with my 2018 P/7004. I have flip chin bar and 3/4 helmets, the 3/4 with clear shields is working well at the moment for cold weather. I've only had her for 100+ miles. For summer riding, here in "Texas", 3/4 with glasses or goggles may be the ticket.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!