Helmet suggestions

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
As I said in my intro, my intended use for the SXS (when I get one) will be birding. That being said, what type of helmet would you folks suggest my wife and I get that would allow using binoculars and or a camera? Her the binoculars, me with the camera. One of those full face ones certainly wouldn't work. I've never worn a motorcycle/ATV helmet before, so I'm completely out of my depth regarding them. Of course, most of the time, we'll be stopped/parked with helmets off. But sometimes you come upon something you'll want to photograph and will only have time to get the vehicle stopped before shooting.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As I said in my intro, my intended use for the SXS (when I get one) will be birding. That being said, what type of helmet would you folks suggest my wife and I get that would allow using binoculars and or a camera? Her the binoculars, me with the camera. One of those full face ones certainly wouldn't work. I've never worn a motorcycle/ATV helmet before, so I'm completely out of my depth regarding them. Of course, most of the time, we'll be stopped/parked with helmets off. But sometimes you come upon something you'll want to photograph and will only have time to get the vehicle stopped before shooting.
A lot of people don’t wear helmets inside the “roll cage” of a SxS. Some carry them along and only put them on when they feel something could go wrong. Yet others wear them pretty much all the time. So expect varying responses.

I prefer the full face MX style with goggles and a product called a wolfsnout when it is dusty personally. It probably isn’t best suited for what you are doing though. I’d think a 3/4 style helmet or a modular helmet (full face but the front portion hinges up) would be your best options. I’d suggest stopping by the dealership with you binoculars though to see how it would work for you though.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I bought these for the family.

If your strapped in they’ll protect your knoggin if you hit the role bar.
I kinda like this idea. Lets me quickly get binocular eye cups or camera eyepiece right up to my eye(s) without a visor, or something else getting in the way. When stopped and watching, I'll probably have the helmet off anyway. We'll go to our local dealer and try some on. Should I look for a DOT or some other kind of safety rated certification?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I kinda like this idea. Lets me quickly get binocular eye cups or camera eyepiece right up to my eye(s) without a visor, or something else getting in the way. When stopped and watching, I'll probably have the helmet off anyway. We'll go to our local dealer and try some on. Should I look for a DOT or some other kind of safety rated certification?
DOT, SNELL and ECE are the three major ones I know of.

DOT<SNELL<ECE (though some might argue the SNELL/ECE places)

If you are going to be riding roads you might be required to have a rated/certified helmet. In your local dealership you probably won’t find a helmet that isn’t rated/certified. Amazon or whatever though…all bets are off and you have to pay attention if it matters to you.

Like an old Bell ad said…wear a $10 helmet if you have a $10 head…or something like that.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not road legal here in Nebraska yet, but it is in Iowa (where I do most of my birding). Dunno about Missouri. Any "road" driving I anticipate doing would be unpaved county/farm roads. I'll probably stay away from the (very few) riding trails in my area (Omaha/Council Bluffs) because I'd be a hazard to those who want to go fast when I'm stopped looking at an animal.

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
The Axel helmets are not DOT or SNELL rated. But, your strapped down inside of a cage, not sitting wide open on a motorcycle or ATV. Why wear the extra weight of a Snell rated helmet?

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
There are also some nice ski helmets out there that would work great. I believe the Axels are just redesigned ski helmets.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FYI I believe any helmet with vent holes can not be DOT approved … I have a high end full face bike helmet for when I am running at a faster pace … but that was a person decision of I‘ll wear it where I likel won’t wear a heavier and hotter helmet

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You might try just a plain open face motorcycle helmet with some goggles, as stated above, go to your dealer or any motorcycle shop and check them out. I have one and it’s much lighter than a full face helmet plus it’s not as hot, at least in my opinion, but what do I know… I drive a Honda.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
What did you get?

Of course the one I wanted is back ordered.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
You might try just a plain open face motorcycle helmet with some goggles, as stated above, go to your dealer or any motorcycle shop and check them out. I have one and it’s much lighter than a full face helmet plus it’s not as hot, at least in my opinion, but what do I know… I drive a Honda.
I had one of them and also have two of the half face DOT rated ones for when required. Just not happy with them for normal use. What got me interested was my new Milwaukee safety helmet and my chainsaw helmet, a Pfanner Protos which is similar. Both are super comfortable.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I probably should also have included the fact that I wear glasses. I'd anticipate wearing any kind of "full face" or shielded helmet, I expect fogging to be a concern.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 7 DOT approved Core helmets in various sizes and colors.

https://amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EGBMPSS?tag=sxsweb24-20

However I see they are not in stock. The closest I found to them are these:

https://amazon.com/Fuel-Helmets-SH-HHGL17-Unisex-Adult-Motorcycle/dp/B07VZJBLMZ/?tag=sxsweb24-20

My wife and I both wear glasses and the Core helmet is usable with them. We can take pictures with them easily.

Reactions: Kinlaw
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I probably should also have included the fact that I wear glasses. I'd anticipate wearing any kind of "full face" or shielded helmet, I expect fogging to be a concern.
Absolutely! A little in high humidity but cold weather is the real treat for fogging lenses. There are products out that help tremendously with it.

The rainx brand antifog is 💩
I bought a product (probably 8 years ago now) under a brand name of “Blaze” in both a squirt bottle liquid style and a lip balm/wax container style at a bike show booth (maybe Bikes, Blues & BBQ in AR). I’ve used both of them and they’ve been awesome.

Look around and test some products out. There are great ones and total crap. A ski mask will replicate the restriction of your breath and cause fogging of your lenses nicely to expedite your testing process.

S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
These are the two helmets my wife and I decided we like. Both are DOT rated. The half helmet for me, with separate goggles, and the one with the face shield for her. The pic shows a tinted face shield, but hers would be clear. I picked a half helmet because it was the least intrusive for getting the camera to my eye. They both come with internal slide up/down shades/clear shields, but doubt we'd actually use those. We'll either buy them at the local motorcycle/atv place where we went and tried them on, or buy them on-line. They also wanted to sell us bluetooth mike/speaker setups. Most SXSs are kind of loud, but not THAT loud. Dunno if we'd really need them, or if they were just trying to upsell us additional accessories.

3be54d9b 40a4 4f7e b9d7 6ff01795f0513a27642ce7c10d2d7fd725ebab83a45a Z1R RoadMaxx Helmet Flat Black  441901605296579

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These are the two helmets my wife and I decided we like. Both are DOT rated. The half helmet for me, with separate goggles, and the one with the face shield for her. The pic shows a tinted face shield, but hers would be clear. I picked a half helmet because it was the least intrusive for getting the camera to my eye. They both come with internal slide up/down shades/clear shields, but doubt we'd actually use those. We'll either buy them at the local motorcycle/atv place where we went and tried them on, or buy them on-line. They also wanted to sell us bluetooth mike/speaker setups. Most SXSs are kind of loud, but not THAT loud. Dunno if we'd really need them, or if they were just trying to upsell us additional accessories.

View attachment 302887 View attachment 302888
I use a Sena 20 on mine but I had it originally for the motorcycle. It was especially nice for bike to bike communication with my son when he was learning. A lot of guys on the forum have radios. I picked up one of the handheld radio units at Takeover from @Tramgauge and it worked well too for bike to bike with the groups at a much cheaper price than my SENA setup. Those don’t do intercom (driver to passenger talk) or link to the phone music library but it was nice for its purpose and like I said price.

Anyway…not must haves but definitely nice to haves. It is much easier to talk to a passenger with a comm setup than without.

Reactions: SmittyOne
S

SmittyOne

Oct 20, 2021
Omaha
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I use a Sena 20 on mine but I had it originally for the motorcycle. It was especially nice for bike to bike communication with my son when he was learning. A lot of guys on the forum have radios. I picked up one of the handheld radio units at Takeover from @Tramgauge and it worked well too for bike to bike with the groups at a much cheaper price than my SENA setup. Those don’t do intercom (driver to passenger talk) or link to the phone music library but it was nice for its purpose and like I said price.

Anyway…not must haves but definitely nice to haves. It is much easier to talk to a passenger with a comm setup than without.
Because we're both older, we constantly say "what?" even when in the car. So I'd imagine with motor noise, wind noise, and with ears covered (her helmet), the Sena units might actually be nice to have. Sena 5S was the one she'd use, but I'd have to use the SPH10, because of the half helmet. Might even be useful when I get out and walk 25-50 yards away, she could alert me to birds behind me without shouting or throwing stuff to get my attention. But damn, they're pricey.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!