P700 Help/Advice needed

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sold my 500 months back, purchased a Yamaha Wolverine SxS, and now have sold it looking to go back to Honda due to needing multiple seating (3 kids and wife have enjoyed riding more than expected) and a shorter wheelbase than a Ranger crew, etc.
My question is this, and I do not mean to beat a dead horse - Will the P700-4 do all I need it to in Alabama/TN? To help you answer the question, I do ride steep rocky hills that I enjoy crawling on. The Wolverine does not prefer to crawl slowly as the low gear is not very low. It is awesome from 6-10mph, but I don't like to move that quickly if I don't have to over choppy rocks. For comparison - dad's Ranger is lower geared in Low than the Wolverine. The P500 I had was like a tractor in 1st, and I loved that aspect of it. However, I do want to have the option to be able to creep steep, rocky sections up hill at a very slow speed. Also, I have read complaints about the ride being stiff/bad, but that the commander coilover upgrade helps a good bit. My Wolverine was like riding on a cloud compared to the P500, and even rode better than my RZR I used to have. I definitely do not want to go back to the bad ride the P500 had.
Any insight would be helpful as well as beneficial to my decision process. If I was going to spend Teryx 4 $$$, I would go ahead and get the P1000. Should I wait for 17 models? Any rumors regarding drive train changes to the 700 such as open rear diff. option, low range, etc.?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I loved my 700. Yes you can creep up damn near anything. I feel the 700 might get something this year but it's a feeling.

Reactions: 500
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sold my 500 months back, purchased a Yamaha Wolverine SxS, and now have sold it looking to go back to Honda due to needing multiple seating (3 kids and wife have enjoyed riding more than expected) and a shorter wheelbase than a Ranger crew, etc.
My question is this, and I do not mean to beat a dead horse - Will the P700-4 do all I need it to in Alabama/TN? To help you answer the question, I do ride steep rocky hills that I enjoy crawling on. The Wolverine does not prefer to crawl slowly as the low gear is not very low. It is awesome from 6-10mph, but I don't like to move that quickly if I don't have to over choppy rocks. For comparison - dad's Ranger is lower geared in Low than the Wolverine. The P500 I had was like a tractor in 1st, and I loved that aspect of it. However, I do want to have the option to be able to creep steep, rocky sections up hill at a very slow speed. Also, I have read complaints about the ride being stiff/bad, but that the commander coilover upgrade helps a good bit. My Wolverine was like riding on a cloud compared to the P500, and even rode better than my RZR I used to have. I definitely do not want to go back to the bad ride the P500 had.
Any insight would be helpful as well as beneficial to my decision process. If I was going to spend Teryx 4 $$$, I would go ahead and get the P1000. Should I wait for 17 models? Any rumors regarding drive train changes to the 700 such as open rear diff. option, low range, etc.?

Where are you located in Alabama? If you're close to Guntersville, I would offer you to go on a ride with me and my buddies. You could get a lot a seat time in the 700 and the 1000.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where are you located in Alabama? If you're close to Guntersville, I would offer you to go on a ride with me and my buddies. You could get a lot a seat time in the 700 and the 1000.
Brownsboro/Huntsville.
Do y'all ride locally? Jackson/Chattanooga/Marshall?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Brownsboro/Huntsville.
Do y'all ride locally? Jackson/Chattanooga/Marshall?

We ride a lot in paint rock Valley around bull run. It's a great place to ride. Most of my videos on YouTube are from riding in that river and those trails.

I live on 40 acres, you're welcome to come drive it around anytime you want if you don't want to wait for our next ride.

I'll keep you posted, a couple of us tried to get a ride in this week but couldn't make it happen.

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We ride a lot in paint rock Valley around bull run. It's a great place to ride. Most of my videos on YouTube are from riding in that river and those trails.

I live on 40 acres, you're welcome to come drive it around anytime you want if you don't want to wait for our next ride.

I'll keep you posted, a couple of us tried to get a ride in this week but couldn't make it happen.
Keep me posted.
I would love to join - I will bring a non-Honda brand along as well if allowed :)

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think with a few upgrades the 700 would be a good fit for you. I would go for a 2015 or newer or wait for 2017's to show up. They are supposed to be announcing model updates in July I think. More than likely a suspension upgrade will be needed. I've never ridden a 500 so I can't compre the two, but the commander shocks are a great inexpensive way to go and other options are available too. I think slow "crawling" is probably what the 700 does best on the trail. To me, this engine has good torque! I can climb almost anything with a quarter to half throttle, unless wheel spin requires a "wide open" attack.

As far as rumors for next year, there are a ton but nothing has been officially announced.

Hope that helps

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think with a few upgrades the 700 would be a good fit for you. I would go for a 2015 or newer or wait for 2017's to show up. They are supposed to be announcing model updates in July I think. More than likely a suspension upgrade will be needed. I've never ridden a 500 so I can't compre the two, but the commander shocks are a great inexpensive way to go and other options are available too. I think slow "crawling" is probably what the 700 does best on the trail. To me, this engine has good torque! I can climb almost anything with a quarter to half throttle, unless wheel spin requires a "wide open" attack.

As far as rumors for next year, there are a ton but nothing has been officially announced.

Hope that helps
How is the lateral stability in off camber situations?
Comparable to a Ranger?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have zero experience with a ranger so I can't really speak to that. But, in my experience with my pioneer lateral stability seems good. When I ride fence lines this afternoon I'll turn on my "level" app and tell you what degree slope I side hill on a regular basis with no issues.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Keep me posted.
I would love to join - I will bring a non-Honda brand along as well if allowed :)
I'm sure @joeymt33 will let him if he doesn't dirty joes tow rope.:)

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Comparable to a Ranger?
@Tflynn is right about the suspension. We both upgraded to the fox and big difference! People seem to be having good luck with The Commander set though.it needs shocks, rides hard but will bottom out. Offset wheels/tires helped to for side hill but it was pretty good especially for the size and capacity. Torque is pretty good and it will tug anything without a whimper but it's not fast by any means it will not stay up with a Ranger but it is just a good solid very dependable machine. Had power steering added and as much as I did like it the 700 did great without. Really can't go wrong. I now have the 1000 and love it. Don't know on the 500 personally however it's a Honda and everyone seems to love them and after being on here for awhile and hearing enough I'm sold on one as well it'll be the next in my fleet. If I can find a really good deal on a 700 I'd sure opt at that as well but the wife would be pissed because I still want the 500

Last edited:
Reactions: 500 and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Comparable to a Ranger?
Ok I put my phone in my X-grip and set my level to zero on the App. A 15 degree angle is nothing, ride that one all day. A 20-25 degree angle is where a bunch of my fences are at. The pioneer will handle that no problem. The level hit 30 degrees a couple times, that's when it starts to catch your attention. I think with careful driving you'd be ok at 35. Beyond that I don't know. If you did it in a 500 it will be no problem in the 700.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You have off sets correct?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was meaning offset wheels. What app do you have? Sounds fun to try

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh ok ha sorry I was over thinking it! I have stock wheels. About a 1" lift and 1" wheel spacers in the front. The app is "iHandy Level" and it is free. It's surprisingly accurate, not as good as a bubble level but really close

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's what I was meaning. Awesome thank you

May 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also meant to ask, how is the heat/noise on the 700?
That was another issue I had with the 500.
My Wolverine was way quieter and did not produce any cab heat - comparing to 500.
I see where some are comaining on the 1000 about the heat.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also meant to ask, how is the heat/noise on the 700?
That was another issue I had with the 500.
My Wolverine was way quieter and did not produce any cab heat - comparing to 500.
I see where some are comaining on the 1000 about the heat.
I think the heat wasn't as bad in the 700 I honestly don't remember the steam hitting you butt so bad but it was still hot. The 1000 is way quieter especially at speed. You can talk no problem in the 700 though till you run over 30-35. At 40 it is loud but ours had skid plate and roof installed. Roof makes it a lot louder.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!