P1000 Help, pioneer down!

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok guys, so were out riding and taking it easy with some older folks. Cab fills with steam, the antifreeze/coolant (about 3/4" to 1" diameter) line that hooks to the top of the motor with a pressed in barb, blew off.. The line was hooked up by a hose clamp and that was all tight and good but the fitting itself came out of the motor. My local honda shop put in a new thermostat, honda locktited the barb and pressed it back in and said they ran it., So i took it home, It made it one mile before it got hot enough to throw the light on... So I waited hours for it to cool down, opened the radiator cap and unleashed a volcano of coolant! Not hot anymore but the radiator was pressured so much it was insane! So I took it back and they had it do the same exact thing after one mile down the road.. Now they are thinking head gasket?

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
These things are hard to get air out of the system but It does sound like gasket to me. Check for water in the oil however that doesn’t always happen and check for lots of bubbles in the fill on the radiator with cap off, running and warm but be careful because it’ll probably surge out.
I’d fill and then bleed it at the thermostat housing first.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does sound like a head gasket. One of two things happens when a head gasket goes.
1 a spot is opened for water to get to oil. (This is what most people always see)
2 a spot opens for pressure to go from cylinder to water,

Is it under warranty?

If so if they have to shave the head you may could say that will change the compression and maybe get a new motor worth a try.

Regardless its make cost some money but its not that big of a deal. From once you get it back the motor should be 100%.

Reactions: strongbuilt
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
These things are hard to get air out of the system but It does sound like gasket to me. Check for water in the oil however that doesn’t always happen and check for lots of bubbles in the fill on the radiator with cap off, running and warm but be careful because it’ll probably surge out.
I’d fill and then bleed it at the thermostat housing first.

You should be able to do a leak down test. Also very simple and can get the parts cheap at Harbor Freight or rent from auto zone or advance auto.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You should be able to do a leak down test. Also very simple and can get the parts cheap at Harbor Freight or rent from auto zone or advance auto.
Absolutely and that’s good idea. Was just suggesting a no tools check to be simple

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys, Yes its under warranty! I hoped it wasn't gonna be a s***show but with the headgasket getting replaced I fear its gonna be a long time before i get to ride.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What year model is it and how many miles is on it and have you had the updates done if they were needed

Reactions: strongbuilt
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys, Yes its under warranty! I hoped it wasn't gonna be a s***show but with the headgasket getting replaced I fear its gonna be a long time before i get to ride.
Head gasket shouldn't take long if they are saying a few weeks check around it maybe worth an hour drive to have it fixed by next weekend. Good luck

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
These boys are on the money. It sure sounds like a head gasket. As stated take the radiator cap off and start it. You will see a pretty steady flow of bubbles if the cylinder is leaking pressure. If it's a bad enough issue I'd think you may see some moisture in the exhaust when you first start it up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

advertisement
strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are saying they think they warped the head.. Because of the initial problem with the barb coming out, they had to heat it up to get it back out i guess, they are being very good to work with and honest that they did it,,, so far. Whats the options I have here.. I don't want this to be a continuing issue, what else could they have damaged that i need to tell them i want replaced?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are saying they think they warped the head.. Because of the initial problem with the barb coming out, they had to heat it up to get it back out i guess, they are being very good to work with and honest that they did it,,, so far. Whats the options I have here.. I don't want this to be a continuing issue, what else could they have damaged that i need to tell them i want replaced?

As long as you didn't overheat it and they did it that way they should just put a new head on it. I don't see how it could have hurt anything else. Now if they want to shave your head and put it back on thats a difference in compression and they will need to change valves or shims I'm not sure how it works on them.

If it was me I would say I want a new motor or a head not just fix my head.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As long as you didn't overheat it and they did it that way they should just put a new head on it. I don't see how it could have hurt anything else. Now if they want to shave your head and put it back on thats a difference in compression and they will need to change valves or shims I'm not sure how it works on them.

If it was me I would say I want a new motor or a head not just fix my head.
Unfortunately they don’t have crate engines yet as far as I know.

H

HondaTech

It does sound like a head gasket. One of two things happens when a head gasket goes.
1 a spot is opened for water to get to oil. (This is what most people always see)
2 a spot opens for pressure to go from cylinder to water,

Is it under warranty?

If so if they have to shave the head you may could say that will change the compression and maybe get a new motor worth a try.
Regardless its make cost some money but its not that big of a deal. From once you get it back the motor should be 100%.

Honda will never warranty any type of engine machining, only parts replacement. So he'd get a new head regardless if it was found to be warped, but i've never seen a blow head gasket on a Honda engine.

Honda does list some engines for sale as a whole, but ive never seen them authorize just dropping and engine in place of the damaged one.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda will never warranty any type of engine machining, only parts replacement. So he'd get a new head regardless if it was found to be warped, but i've never seen a blow head gasket on a Honda engine.

Honda does list some engines for sale as a whole, but ive never seen them authorize just dropping and engine in place of the damaged one.

Cool, see post 11 they are saying they did it.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With as many people on here that have over heated from having packed their radiators full of mud, or having the dealerships not bleed the coolant systems properly. This would definitely be a first. Others have boiled their machines countless times, trying to work the air from the thermostats. I would suggest pulling the front seat back and bleeding the air from the thermostat bleed screw. Run it up to temp and do it again. If it is exhaust gases going into the coolant system from a blown head gasket it you shouldn’t ever get just coolant out of the bleed screw when it’s running and it’s up to operating temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With as many people on here that have over heated from having packed their radiators full of mud, or having the dealerships not bleed the coolant systems properly. This would definitely be a first. Others have boiled their machines countless times, trying to work the air from the thermostats. I would suggest pulling the front seat back and bleeding the air from the thermostat bleed screw. Run it up to temp and do it again. If it is exhaust gases going into the coolant system from a blown head gasket it you shouldn’t ever get just coolant out of the bleed screw when it’s running and it’s up to operating temp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I'm understanding the OP it sounds like the Honda mechanic heated up the head with a separate heat source (torch maybe) to get the fitting in/out (not sure which) and it caused the head to warp.....

And it sounds like the dealer is standing behind the mistake and it's not a warranty claim....

I may very well be wrong though....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

strongbuilt

strongbuilt

Sep 7, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are taking responsibility, they have been straight forward.I wish to find a engine diagram, mainly of the top closer to driverside. Im hoping to hear something back today..

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!