Help Please! Pioneer won't start

R

robinrut

Apr 12, 2016
Louisiana
My Pioneer 700-4 will turn over but will not start. When I turn the key on, the fan comes on and stays on. The check check engine blinks 4 long and 4 short times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Wow, I'm going to watch this thread. I'd like the list of all the codes.
Welcome aboard robin, I'm sorry I can't answer this for you but I bet someone will have an answer today.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I looked in the service manual for the codes but I can't find them. I know @Hondasxs has them

Have you recently had work done to the machine? Sometimes sensors don't get plugged back in when the mechanic is in a hurry. Or was it fine one day and wouldn't start the next?

Since the fan runs in the "key on" position, check what the temp gauge says for your cold engine. Just curious

R

robinrut

Apr 12, 2016
Louisiana
I haven't had any work done. The temperature gauge (bar) is lit completely. I talked to the service manager at the local dealership and he suspects a rat got into the wiring. If that's the case, I suspect a squirrel. There were some corn spilled from the bed on the floorboard in the back seat that may have caught their attention. I'm going to check it out when I get off of work this evening.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm very surprised the service manager couldn't tell you what the code was.
I believe Flynn is suggesting that the fan running might mean the computer thinks the machine is overheated, therefore it won't let you crank it. I'd find the temp sensor(s) and trace back.

Reactions: Tflynn
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here's the codes, But its difficult to figure out.

Attachments

• dct-codes2.pdf
    563.6 KB · Views: 662
  • pgm-codes1.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 646
Reactions: Tflynn
R

robinrut

Apr 12, 2016
Louisiana
I think I found the problem.
Image1460506634678104

advertisement
R

robinrut

Apr 12, 2016
Louisiana
Both wires were cut. It was under the back (drivers side) floorboard. I suspect a squirrel chewed them. There were 2 kernels of corn on the exhaust shield right by it

R

robinrut

Apr 12, 2016
Louisiana
I repaired the two wires going to the coil and the bike started. The fan still comes on and I still have the check engine light. I will do some more looking tomorrow for broken wires. Thanks for the help!

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good luck! I feel your pain, I had a rat set up shop under the hood of my truck a few months ago and I'm still finding new things it damaged

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!