NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
C86495C7 221E 4D5A 9FC3 4A83C1BA1F23
Voltage output climbs while running, went up to 17.7 in first 20 seconds and climbing when turned the engine off. Engine off, battery reads 12v. The climbing voltage is causing a radio to cycle off as the radio works constantly just off battery 12v. May be the reason I had to replace the battery yesterday. Where is the voltage regulator, or rectifier located on a P500? Parts diagram shows it as item 3 but no location. Thanks

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Voltage output climbs while running, went up to 17.7 in first 20 seconds and climbing when turned the engine off. Anyone had problem (P500). May be the reason I had to replace the battery yesterday.
yeah you need to get that checked out. normally should run 14-16 at the most. anything past 18 and your gonna start burning things up

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mudder
99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
The rectifier (item 3) is bolted to the back side of the battery box if i recall correctly. It is easy to reach if you pull the rear fender/rack assembly.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thx, found it, hard access.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Checked all connections including rectifier. Noticed because radio cuts out above spike of voltage operating range of 16+v. Video of spurious voltage at idle. Smooths out at 14.3 volts at higher rpm. Ideas?

99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
The service manual could probably help but i am nowhere near mine at the moment. Before i bought the book i would go to my local dealer and chat with the mechanics..they were always helpful.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
The service manual could probably help but i am nowhere near mine at the moment. Before i bought the book i would go to my local dealer and chat with the mechanics..they were always helpful.
No luck at dealer, any manual info appreciated. Looking for a good place to order one for future use, any suggestions? Some starts went to 18 v, others up to 16, very erratic spikes.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No luck at dealer, any manual info appreciated. Looking for a good place to order one for future use, any suggestions? Some starts went to 18 v, others up to 16, very erratic spikes.
Shoot me a PM when you have a few mins. I have a manual for a 500.

Reactions: 99Burban
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
All meter tests OK on wiring harness side, but no info found elsewhere on testing the regulator/rectifier itself. Still 18 v so a new one on order.

Reactions: Mudwing
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
All meter tests OK on wiring harness side, but no info found elsewhere on testing the regulator/rectifier itself. Still 18 v so a new one on order.
thats really the only way to test the regulator is by cranking it and monitoring with voltmeter. i dont think their is an ohming guide to those like some other equipment. but i could be wrong

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fallrisk
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Voltage on disconnected alternator output harness shows steady 12.4v and engine starts and run smooth without the regulator rectifier installed. All this seems like a process of elimination. Maybe the GA heat wave and idling for long periods while doing chores overheated things causing overcharging. Battery was bulged out so replaced. Regulator was $150 at dealer, $40 on internet. An simple related video on harness testing.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Voltage on disconnected alternator output harness shows steady 12.4v and engine starts and run smooth without the regulator rectifier installed. All this seems like a process of elimination. Maybe the GA heat wave and idling for long periods while doing chores overheated things causing overcharging. Battery was bulged out so replaced. Regulator was $150 at dealer, $40 on internet. An simple related video on harness testing.
Did all this fix your issue?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@Mudder, when you were poking around the regulator, did you notice any oil in the plug in?
Last few times I've had mine unplugged, there has been a little oil in the gray connector.
I don't know if these are filled with oil, but it seems strange that it would go "up". My only other thought is that some oil is leaching through the wires and into the connector (since the other end runs into the crankcase).

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Mudder, when you were poking around the regulator, did you notice any oil in the plug in?
Last few times I've had mine unplugged, there has been a little oil in the gray connector.
I don't know if these are filled with oil, but it seems strange that it would go "up". My only other thought is that some oil is leaching through the wires and into the connector (since the other end runs into the crankcase).
No oil, the connectors were very tight to remove. Wires dry. Drilled some holes in bad unit, dry gray shavings from inside.

37D2F9E5 B176 4658 B609 F1F33C15862F

Last edited:
Reactions: DG Rider
C

Chaos0101

Apr 9, 2021
Cairns
Ownership

1. 500
Just found oil in my regulator. What did u have to do stop this from happening ?

Reactions: DG Rider

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!