Ugly

Ugly

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If a 16 fits,then a 17mm is going to be too big.
I understand so then is the document wrong when it points to 7/16" thread if a 16mm hex socket fits?

Thanks
seat-restrain-bolts-7-16-png.430781

• Wow
Reactions: Remington
NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
The 7/16" refers to the diameter of the bolt, not the size of the hex. It's a US DOT requirement, you'll find the SAE bolts on any vehicle with seat belts sold in the US, regardless of manufacturer
What 906 said is correct on the bolt diameter size. Pretty much what the chart says.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I understand so then is the document wrong when it points to 7/16" thread if a 16mm hex socket fits?

Thanks
seat-restrain-bolts-7-16-png.430781
As someone already mentioned, you're overthinking this. Use whatever socket fits best, the same with every other mechanical fastener in life. The bolt is 7/16" in diameter. The document doesn't say anything about the size of the hex head (socket needed).

Ugly

Ugly

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
16mm is what fits on my 2024 Talon X. CID said that you're overthinking this. Use whatever socket fits best, the same with every other mechanical fastener in life. The bolt is 7/16" in diameter. The document doesn't say anything about the size of the hex head (socket needed). The bolt is 7/16" in diameter.

I agree with the post that I am overthinking about this but I do want to strip the bolt or round the head since this an anchor bolt - yep I am overthinking this but measure twice and cut once has saved my butt inf the past. I think the Loctite-Red is what is giving me all my heartburn. Thanks for everyone' help. All comments are appreciated.

advertisement
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
16mm is what fits on my 2024 Talon X. CID said that you're overthinking this. Use whatever socket fits best, the same with every other mechanical fastener in life. The bolt is 7/16" in diameter. The document doesn't say anything about the size of the hex head (socket needed). The bolt is 7/16" in diameter.

I agree with the post that I am overthinking about this but I do want to strip the bolt or round the head since this an anchor bolt - yep I am overthinking this but measure twice and cut once has saved my butt inf the past. I think the Loctite-Red is what is giving me all my heartburn. Thanks for everyone' help. All comments are appreciated.
None of us are born knowing this (or anything else). Until our dying breath, life is a lesson imperfectly learned - Unknown

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
has a bolt

has a bolt been removed yet or you send the belts back?

Ugly

Ugly

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yeah, I was wondering how this turned out ?
Thanks for the comment. Yep, I have changed and busted knuckles on many tire changes. I am still investigating a solvent rather than heat. The stuff on the Loctite Web Site is a Loctite product SF790 (~$60.00 US per can) or use CRC Brakeleen (Canadian product) which has chlorinated (must use chlorinated) brake cleaning fluid. The third option is Acetone. All are nasty stuff that should be used with gloves and should be used outside or in a well-ventilated garage. The last option is to use a localized (directed) heat gun as my last resort. The stubborn bolt is on the passenger side near the gas tank cap, so I am reluctant to use heat near the cap. Hope this helps.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks for the comment. Yep, I have changed and busted knuckles on many tire changes. I am still investigating a solvent rather than heat. The stuff on the Loctite Web Site is a Loctite product SF790 (~$60.00 US per can) or use CRC Brakeleen (Canadian product) which has chlorinated (must use chlorinated) brake cleaning fluid. The third option is Acetone. All are nasty stuff that should be used with gloves and should be used outside or in a well-ventilated garage. The last option is to use a localized (directed) heat gun as my last resort. The stubborn bolt is on the passenger side near the gas tank cap, so I am reluctant to use heat near the cap. Hope this helps.
Hi - acetone and soldering gun will loosen that loctite up - to help u out - soldering gun tip on the bolt head to give some safe heat and the acetone will dissolve anything or the anti MEK death solvent - lol

advertisement