P500 Hi-Lift mount

S

Sledge

This is mentioned in several threads, but I decided to start a specific one.

I really liked Alan's "bumper" mount, and ordered the tube mounts from RMATV. I almost cut my 4' jack to 3' while waiting for the mounts to arrive, but I'm glad I didn't.

The 4' jack only has 3' of travel available, so has 50% more than the 3' UTV jack.

I mounted it up front with one end where it would be with a 3' jack centered, and turned the wheel to lock. Drove up against a tree.

The 3' jack would catch when the wheel was still 2" from the tree. To prevent interference, it looks to me like the jack could only be ~32" long. Maybe a bit less.

That would mean giving up roughly half of jack travel. No way I'm doing that, nor am I willing to give up tight-space maneuverability.

So...I mounted it on the cage. I can keep the full utility of the 4' jack, and I'm not fully sold on the need for a bumper anyway, given my slowpoke riding style.

I'm gonna hit it with a coat of black Krylon and call it good.

It'll keep my Sally-girl from face-planting into or over the dash in a panic stop, too. :)

Please, Alan or others, let me know if I'm missing something here.

Joe

Reactions: ehart814
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Looks good Joe!

Reactions: Sledge
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I took mine out of the barn today and was pondering mounting it, but it is just too much weight for me. If I were going to mount it I would want it as low as possible to help with the CG.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 14903 This is mentioned in several threads, but I decided to start a specific one.

I really liked Alan's "bumper" mount, and ordered the tube mounts from RMATV. I almost cut my 4' jack to 3' while waiting for the mounts to arrive, but I'm glad I didn't.

The 4' jack only has 3' of travel available, so has 50% more than the 3' UTV jack.

I mounted it up front with one end where it would be with a 3' jack centered, and turned the wheel to lock. Drove up against a tree.

The 3' jack would catch when the wheel was still 2" from the tree. To prevent interference, it looks to me like the jack could only be ~32" long. Maybe a bit less.

That would mean giving up roughly half of jack travel. No way I'm doing that, nor am I willing to give up tight-space maneuverability.

So...I mounted it on the cage. I can keep the full utility of the 4' jack, and I'm not fully sold on the need for a bumper anyway, given my slowpoke riding style.

I'm gonna hit it with a coat of black Krylon and call it good.

It'll keep my Sally-girl from face-planting into or over the dash in a panic stop, too. :)

Please, Alan or others, let me know if I'm missing something here.

Joe
I don't see why that won't work Joe. I hope I never need to find out if my 36" jack does not lift high enough. Where I have mine mounted high on the front I have not encountered any wheel catch and have been in some pretty nasty stuff.

S

Sledge

Thanks MC.

P5, I'm a little concerned about raising CG too, but it's <35#, and not too high, I think (hope).

If/when I get a winch, I might not carry it, but for now it's my extraction tool as well as jack.

That's why I'm so concerned about length of travel.

I'd buy a winch tomorrow if I had the wiring skills to set it up properly, but until I find a mechanic I trust, it will have to wait.

Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
S

Sledge

Thanks, Alan. Our posts crossed. I'm not too worried about the short jack as a jack, but giving up a foot of travel as a winch substitute does concern me.

Those mounts sure are well-designed and built. Thanks for suggesting them. $50 seemed a little high, but once I received them I realized it wasn't.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks, Alan. Our posts crossed. I'm not too worried about the short jack as a jack, but giving up a foot of travel as a winch substitute does concern me.

Those mounts sure are well-designed and built. Thanks for suggesting them. $50 seemed a little high, but once I received them I realized it wasn't.

Joe
If you get a chance sometime, please post a picture of the mounting clamps up close. I'd like to see if I think that they could be used to mount my scissor Jack. Thanks Joe.

S

Sledge

Oh, and I didn't explain the "catch" issue very well, I think. I'll try again...

With the jack mounted like yours, I put it on so the right side was where a centered 3' jack would be. Then, with the wheels turned left to lock, the jack would catch or hang up on a tree when the tire was still 2" from the tree.

I only see it as a problem in off-trail, tight situations, but I get into such retrieving game. When I've got game down, I go where I need to, not just where I'm allowed.

Renegade Joe

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
If you get a chance sometime, please post a picture of the mounting clamps up close. I'd like to see if I think that they could be used to mount my scissor Jack. Thanks Joe.
Here you go MC

Upload 2016 5 9 9 59 23

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks MC.

P5, I'm a little concerned about raising CG too, but it's <35#, and not too high, I think (hope).

If/when I get a winch, I might not carry it, but for now it's my extraction tool as well as jack.

That's why I'm so concerned about length of travel.

I'd buy a winch tomorrow if I had the wiring skills to set it up properly, but until I find a mechanic I trust, it will have to wait.

Joe
Joe, don't worry about the wiring skills to set up a winch properly, they are really easy to install.

Alan

S

Sledge

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

After pfive's mention of CG, I decided to turn the jack over, to get handle weight below beam.

A small thing.

Then I noticed it could go lower, with jack shelf sticking up instead of down. Down she went. About 4".

One thing to watch, MC. The clamps are capable of slightly crushing the tube without realizing it. When I moved them I discovered that I had done so. Not too worried, as the tubes I mounted on are subject mostly to a linear, compression force, I think, but I wouldn't want to compromise the main tubes.

You shouldn't need yours near as tight as I do, given your jack weight, anyway.

Oh, and I took the baseplate off, as Alan did, and put it in the tool bag with shovel, axe, strap, clevis, etc. Couldn't stop it rattling.

Still need to address rattling in jack head. I can stop it with bunjees, but it's not an elegant solution.

Alan, does the neoprene boot stop the rattling entirely?

I hate me a rattle, in any vehicle. Won't have it. :mad:

Joe

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 14974

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

After pfive's mention of CG, I decided to turn the jack over, to get handle weight below beam.

A small thing.

Then I noticed it could go lower, with jack shelf sticking up instead of down. Down she went. About 4".

One thing to watch, MC. The clamps are capable of slightly crushing the tube without realizing it. When I moved them I discovered that I had done so. Not too worried, as the tubes I mounted on are subject mostly to a linear, compression force, I think, but I wouldn't want to compromise the main tubes.

Oh, and I took the baseplate off, as Alan did, and put it in the tool bag with shovel, axe, strap, clevis, etc. Couldn't stop it rattling.

Still need to address rattling in jack head. I can stop it with bunjees, but it's not an elegant solution.

Joe
The neoprene cover seems to stop the rattling Joe, I have not noticed at all and the handle keeper helped also but you cannot use one because of the knob on the end of your handle the picture look like the handle is secured to your box.

Alan

S

Sledge

The neoprene cover seems to stop the rattling Joe, I have not noticed at all and the handle keeper helped also but you cannot use one because of the knob on the end of your handle the picture look like the handle is secured to your box.

Alan
Thanks, Alan. I'm going to order the neoprene cover and a handle keeper then. I think I'll order the fix-it kit too. My old jack could use a rebuild.

I'll just grind down the diameter of the knob as necessary to fit the keeper.

It's kind of a sentimental thing....the old rancher who gave me the jack welded the ball into the handle. He had a scar and a dent in his head from a hi-lift kickback, and he figured the ball made it safer. He was a good friend.

The handle in pic is just hanging loose, not secured to box; I was still working on the mount position.

I sure appreciate your help.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 14974

Ch-ch-ch-changes...

A small thing.

Joe
Whoa!!! Thanks for the heads up. I think I can actually see where your tubes are compressed in that last pic. Like you, I won't have rattles.

S

Sledge

Not sure what you're seeing in the pic, MC, but it's not tube damage in that pic. Ain't none.

There are just two small dents on the front (away from camera) side, resulting from Hi-lift's desire to make the clamps fit various tube diameters, and so making the "U" a "V" instead. The flats of the "V" slightly creased the tube.

I tried to take a pic of damage, but it didn't even show up. It's very minor, but worth avoiding if possible, I reckon.

Joe

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, the tubes look swollen in the pic, but it doesn't matter, I don't want the damage you describe, minimal as it may be so thanks for the warning.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!