BOX1

Hillbilly Brake concern

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
There is a cool Youtube channel, called Lock Picking Lawyer, where dude tears apart, picks, and details the flaws of many locks in quick videos, mostly under 5 min. A lock earning his respect is fairly rare. Once you watch a few vids there, you will never buy anything Master Lock branded again. If you are concerned about any item rolling away, he recommends this lock, along with this chain. His channel is a great resource for any kind of lock you are considering, even things like elec front door ones. That hardware linked above will definitely take longer to overcome than loosening a brake line fitting on a brake-locked SxS, without concern of failing hydraulic seals.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So as far as l know, the Hilly Break was made for, as l understand, made to not rip your parking pawl out when parked on a hill. lt works great for that. As far as being able to put a lock on it is just a bonus. But l have no idea what the long term effects are for leaving it locked.

Reactions: ChadD and Smitty335
J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had wondered about this a couple weeks ago. Of course now I can’t remember what I did and will have to wait a couple more to see. It’ll probably be fine either way.

Nevada Notch

Nevada Notch

Jul 3, 2021
Carson City
I would NOT recommended it for long term use.

Puts a strain on the seals of the entire brake system causing eventual brake fluid leakage.......

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would NOT recommended it for long term use.

Puts a strain on the seals of the entire brake system causing eventual brake fluid leakage.......

maybe or could keep them pushed out and sealing instead if shrinking and drying out. Stuff is pretty tight in there. Obviously it’s not a good idea long term because it’s not normal. I hope I didn’t leave it locked though. But I really don’t want it stolen either.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
maybe or could keep them pushed out and sealing instead if shrinking and drying out. Stuff is pretty tight in there. Obviously it’s not a good idea long term because it’s not normal. I hope I didn’t leave it locked though. But I really don’t want it stolen either.
All someone would have to do is cut the rubber brake lines and away it goes......

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
They probably have a steal braid in them but ya, if someone knows what they are doing and are determined no deterrent will deter them. But that doesn’t mean you leave the keys in it.
No steel braids in them. Pretty sure all one would have to do is reach in under the hood and rip the ignition wires out and connect them to hotwire it...........And Its Gone.....
Guns and Insurance are your bet bet

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No steel braids in them. Pretty sure all one would have to do is reach in under the hood and rip the ignition wires out and connect them to hotwire it...........And Its Gone.....
Guns and Insurance are your bet bet
I’m not going to jail for murder over a sxs. I even have a gun and that never stopped any of the other thefts I’ve had. I do have insurance though.

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Well it would seem I did get paranoid and leave my hill billy brake locked for a month. Everything seems fine though. my decades of working on cars would tell me to think it wouldn’t hurt anything as it’s ment to be pushed and pressurized. At the same time I wouldn’t want to leave it like that either as it isn’t ment to sit like that. Things like brakes go bad from sitting either way I guess.

mom another note, neighbors leech lines soak to my side of the fence coupled with the rain caused my airstream to sink on one side down to the frame. Luckily I have a backhoe and a mrs junkyard to help.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the hillbilly brake more for parking. I have the Hess removable steering wheels on both of my cars. I take them in at night. .

Reactions: Hometeam and ChadD
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at getting a Hillbilly Brake more for a theft deterrent than anything. My concern is keeping the brakes pressurized for periods of time. How long can I keep the brakes locked before I need to worry about doing any damage? An hour, a day? Thanks
I wouldn't be too worried about the brake pressure. My hillbilly brake hardly works again. Seems the parts are pretty susceptible to corrosion and just lock up over time.

Reactions: ChadD and toddvdh
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!