Historical Riding and Recreation. Pondering Past Pioneers.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you guys and girls ever immerse yourselves into the history of a particular area before or during it's exploration by you and from the pioneers of the past? Sometimes I think it lends a little more intrigue to an otherwise interesting landscape. Knowing who inhabited an area in the past, wether they be Indian or Wild West outlaws only increases my further need to explore.
Looking down from the ruins of the Gros Ventre Hunting Lodge in Wyoming.
Fullsizeoutput 356
Fullsizeoutput 365
Fullsizeoutput 35b
Fullsizeoutput 35d
Fullsizeoutput 358
Fullsizeoutput 34c

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you guys and girls ever immerse yourselves into the history of a particular area before or during it's exploration by you and from the pioneers of the past? Sometimes I think it lends a little more intrigue to an otherwise interesting landscape. Knowing who inhabited an area in the past, wether they be Indian or Wild West outlaws only increases my further need to explore.
View attachment 74685 View attachment 74686 View attachment 74687 View attachment 74688 View attachment 74689 View attachment 74690
Yes.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That’s cool. That area right there, the Green River valley, hosted several of the mountain men rendezvous during the 1820-1840’ when beaver hats and coats were all the rage and Americans began to flow into that region following the reports of Lewis and Clark of the abundance of beaver in the Rocky Mountains which they never fully expected to encounter considering Jefferson’s commission to find an all water route to the pacific.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 74685 View attachment 74686 View attachment 74687 View attachment 74688 View attachment 74689 View attachment 74690
You would appreciate the area which we ride near our property in New Mexico because it’s rich in history. For one the city of Santa Fe was already thriving (under Spanish control) when the Mayflower landed. Some of the mountain men that worked the Rockies in the very early 1800’s observed a different way of making money noticing that Santa Fe didn’t have merchandise that existed in the United States (which went no further west than Kansas City at the time) and vise versa. A mountain man named William Becknell opened up the Santa Fe trail in 1821 bringing American made goods and trading for Spanish goods. 60 years later the railroad followed the same trail. These are pictures of some of the ruins we see along the Santa Fe trail while riding.
2DFBC572 056C 4484 BD9F 29B167D9C9A9
FA898975 5651 4EAE 86FB 8934A99CBE06
F06D8E2C B301 408B 9082 CC1A95D0FC3E

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A mountain man named William Becknel
I read about him recently. I think it was in 'Blood and Thunder' the recent biography of Kit Carson.
Very cool post, thanks for sharing that!

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
33A469B1 479F 4A5D 83D8 254351BC4CFA
I read about him recently. I think it was in 'Blood and Thunder' the recent biography of Kit Carson.
Very cool post, thanks for sharing that!
You’re welcome. It probably was in Blood and Thunder. Carson’s house is still standing in Taos!!

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL and 100Acre
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To elaborate on what i said earlier (now that some pics have been uploaded), yes.

Whether i know the history, or am just left to wonder what the history is, it's always a big alure for riding destinations for me ( And this is something thats really missing from riding back east again ).

The mysterious Baca Float #5 was "absorbed" by the ORO ranch in the past. Few are allowed in, but one of my last riding trips in AZ was to go check out the locked gates that keep Kong in. Very unassuming...

20160821 173831

Then there was this homestead on Henderson flats. Try as i might, i could never find out much on it...

IMG 3031

Further down the trail, there is a different dwelling...

IMG 3379

Other things are well known. Like Bradshaws grave. The man who lent his name to mountain range in central AZ. The consensus is that his body was probably washed down the hill long ago...

IMG 3926

IMG 3924

One of my favorite things was combining a love of railroads/history and riding. This is limestone canyon and the original route of the Santa Fe, Prescott, and Phoenix into Prescott (and eventually Phoenix) AKA-the "Peavine". The rock rubble you see 1/2 way up the ridge is the old ROW that eventually circles around to where I'm standing via several trestles, of which only the pilings remain. Trust me when i say pics DON'T do this justice. It looks more like a roller-coaster ride than a route for trains.
Several ties are still laying on the ROW, laid well over a century ago. I can't even fathom a steam train coming down this, but thats exactly what happened. It also came "off" this, thus the need for a better route a few miles to the east, still in use.

IMG 2375

IMG 4257

And then there's Johnsons tunnel, a more recent abandonment...

IMG 3447

IMG 3448

The tunnel itself is on a grade and curved, forcing trains to slow to avoid being flung off into the canyon upon exiting. As such, several accidents occured and lives were lost in this tunnel. Some say it is haunted, but i saw and felt nothing strange in the several times i visited it....though we did experience what smelled to be a cologne smell once, with no obvious source.

This is the remains of a guard shack from WWII. Since this was a major transcontinental route for war supplies, it was felt it needed constant protection from saboteurs.

IMG 3458

The thing with trains stuff is the insane amount of labor that goes into to it, and then it's just left by the wayside. This is a promotional film for the realignment that ended the use of this tunnel...

Just the tip of the iceberg. Everytime i went out, i found old mining remains or and old line camp building, and couldn't help but wonder how or why.

It'll never stop, but that is the blessed wanderlust...

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To elaborate on what i said earlier (now that some pics have been uploaded), yes.

Whether i know the history, or am just left to wonder what the history is, it's always a big alure for riding destinations for me ( And this is something thats really missing from riding back east again ).

The mysterious Baca Float #5 was "absorbed" by the ORO ranch in the past. Few are allowed in, but one of my last riding trips in AZ was to go check out the locked gates that keep Kong in. Very unassuming...

View attachment 74828

Then there was this homestead on Henderson flats. Try as i might, i could never find out much on it...

View attachment 74832

View attachment 74829

Other things are well known. Like Bradshaws grave. The man who lent his name to mountain range in central AZ. The consensus is that his body was probably washed down the hill long ago...

View attachment 74835
View attachment 74834

One of my favorite things was combining a love of railroads/history and riding. This is limestone canyon and the original route of the Santa Fe, Prescott, and Phoenix into Prescott (and eventually Phoenix) AKA-the "Peavine". The rock rubble you see 1/2 way up the ridge is the old ROW that eventually circles around to where I'm standing via several trestles, of which only the pilings remain. Trust me when i say pics DON'T do this justice. It looks more like a roller-coaster ride than a route for trains.
Several ties are still laying on the ROW, laid well over a century ago. I can't even fathom a steam train coming down this, but thats exactly what happened. It also came "off" this, thus the need for a better route a few miles to the east, still in use.

View attachment 74836
View attachment 74837

And then there's Johnsons tunnell, a more recent abandonment...

View attachment 74838

View attachment 74839

The tunnel itself is on a grade and curved, forcing trains to slow to avoid being flung off into the canyon upon exiting. As such, several accidents occured and lives were lost in this tunnel. Some say it is haunted, but i saw and felt nothing strange in the several times i visited it....though we did experience what smelled to be a cologne smell once, with no obvious source.

This is the remains of a guard shack from WWII. Since this was a major transcontinental route for war supplies, it was felt it needed constant protection for saboteurs.

View attachment 74840

The thing with trains stuff is the insane amount of labor that goes into to it, and then it's just left by the wayside. This is a promotional film for the realignment that ended the use of this tunnel...

Just the tip of the iceberg. Everytime i went out, i found old mining remains or and old line camp building, and couldn't help but wonder how or why.

Super freaking cool. It makes me wanna go there and soon!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

View attachment 74828

View attachment 74832

View attachment 74829

View attachment 74835
View attachment 74834

View attachment 74836
View attachment 74837

And then there's Johnsons tunnell, a more recent abandonment...

View attachment 74838

View attachment 74839

This is the remains of a guard shack from WWII. Since this was a major transcontinental route for war supplies, it was felt it needed constant protection from saboteurs.

View attachment 74840

WOW!!! Very very cool right there.

Reactions: DG Rider
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Riding in the Kit Carson National Forest at the southern tip of the Rockies near Las Vegas New Mexico we came upon the remnants of a depression era homestead. The first picture is the dug well that appears to have had a roof covering at one time. And in the third pic, it’s still holding water, clear. I judged it to be 15-20’ deep. In the picture with the foundation you can make out the date in the door stoop.

906E77B1 BADA 426F A4B1 BB6096081D86
F4031642 EDEB 47C5 A70C C4F99544E822
6BE90FC4 303A 47C7 BFF5 5897695BD92C

E7D53F75 F8FC 46C0 8A52 E0C85D2BEECE
E9F06FD6 A258 4B6E AC4F 5F3B4BEC3B5F

JCMINIS

JCMINIS

Dec 19, 2017
Canton nc
Ownership

1. 500
Headed to Utah in sept. However are trying to plan another westward trip spring of next year for 2 weeks.

Reactions: 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Headed to Utah in sept. However are trying to plan another westward trip spring of next year for 2 weeks.
Fine, be happy to host a ride for you.

Reactions: JCMINIS
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding in the Kit Carson National Forest at the southern tip of the Rockies near Las Vegas New Mexico we came upon the remnants of a depression era homestead. The first picture is the dug well that appears to have had a roof covering at one time. And in the third pic, it’s still holding water, clear. I judged it to be 15-20’ deep. In the picture with the foundation you can make out the date in the door stoop.

View attachment 74870 View attachment 74871 View attachment 74872

View attachment 74873 View attachment 74874
Have you ever heard of Magnet fishing for relics river and wells? Takes a strong Neodium but it's fun and I don't think the NF system has any laws pertaining to Magnet Fishing on NF lands.
For Metal Detecting-
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
these pics are cool as all heck,You guys could combine your photos and come up with a cool destination book.

Reactions: JCMINIS and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
these pics are cool as all heck,You guys could combine your photos and come up with a cool destination book.
I'm game.

Reactions: JCMINIS
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have you ever heard of Magnet fishing for relics river and wells? Takes a strong Neodium but it's fun and I don't think the NF system has any laws pertaining to Magnet Fishing on NF lands.
For Metal Detecting-
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261774.pdf
Funny you mention that. I hadn’t heard it referred to as such but the old man I ride with in Arkansas just told me about this last ride. Says he’s going to get into it. We’re you thinking about that well I posted a picture of?

Reactions: JCMINIS and 100Acre

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!