WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Walker Muffler, some flex pipe and ladder hooks & some scrounged up hardware yields a very quiet P500. Total spent in parts house was $38.00. At idle about 1/3 as loud, at full throttle maybe 1/2 as loud as stock. Really kills the pop-pop-pop noise typical of a single cylinder engine. The archery hunt is almost here!!! Did the project with the P5 sitting in the back of my GMC Dually so I didn't have to bend over doing the work. Much easier. One more coat of black paint and I'm done!!!

WP 20170716 07 53 39 Pro1

WP 20170716 07 53 46 Pro1
WP 20170716 07 53 53 Pro1

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
Walker SFX Muffler # 18424
Flex Pipe is 1 1/4" OD # 40001 - I used 2' of it
I shortened the inlet & outlet of the muffler a bit over an inch each. Then I slit and cut the cut off pieces about 1/4", rolled them smaller, and used them as bushings to make the flex pipe a snug fit into the muffler. Put a baby tack weld at muffler entry and exit just to keep flex from walking out if it tried. I put a bit of RTV in the edge of the flex pipe where it clamped to the muffler to fill the holes where the flex wrinkled since I was clamping 1 1/4" down to 1 1/8"(Muffler OD). I hope this helps!

WB

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
After 350 tough miles on a month long archery hunt in the Utah mountains....Worked perfectly. No power issues. VERY QUIET-the deer would let me ride right by them without spooking. My friends could not hear me coming-could sneak right up on them....Nothing came loose or vibrated...Verdict: Successful Project if quiet is your game!!!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Kool mod..
being in utah...where I'm from
....fish & game...frown upon...muffler
mods....just sayin...
feel your bringing attention to
..yourself...
IMO

Reactions: CumminsPusher
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Walker Muffler, some flex pipe and ladder hooks & some scrounged up hardware yields a very quiet P500. Total spent in parts house was $38.00. At idle about 1/3 as loud, at full throttle maybe 1/2 as loud as stock. Really kills the pop-pop-pop noise typical of a single cylinder engine. The archery hunt is almost here!!! Did the project with the P5 sitting in the back of my GMC Dually so I didn't have to bend over doing the work. Much easier. One more coat of black paint and I'm done!!!

View attachment 49329
View attachment 49330 View attachment 49332
Thanks, nice work! I wonder if it would affect warranty?

SMS

SMS

Jul 9, 2017
Pine Mountain Club
Ownership

1. 500
Hijacked thread! The exhaust silencing info is very interesting and helpful. However, my original inquiry was aimed at the deafening engine noise inside the cab of my p500. We live in a private mountain community with private roads. Most everyone has a golf cart or sxs to drive to visit neighbors, commercial services, golf course and club house. We bought the p500 and were shocked at how loud the noise was in the cab. We were hoping someone had found a way to sound insulate the engine from the cab. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hijacked thread! The exhaust silencing info is very interesting and helpful. However, my original inquiry was aimed at the deafening engine noise inside the cab of my p500. We live in a private mountain community with private roads. Most everyone has a golf cart or sxs to drive to visit neighbors, commercial services, golf course and club house. We bought the p500 and were shocked at how loud the noise was in the cab. We were hoping someone had found a way to sound insulate the engine from the cab. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

P500 - Heat Shield Insulation Blanket To Reduce Cab Noise

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Like Trigger said heat / sound shield barrier and a Tusk back window . I have both and mine is quiet inside . I didnt know how quiet until I jumped in my friends 500 to move it . WOW ! I thought is exhaust was busted it was so noisy .

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 49329
View attachment 49330 View attachment 49332
Good thinking! Too bad Honda didn’t just put the right muffler on from the factory. To me, its expected of Honda to produce comfort and quiet. Now if you could just design a muffler that also perks coffee...

Reactions: Smitty335
CptOvo

CptOvo

Sep 20, 2015
Canada, Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
I like this exhaust mod a lot :D I can see something similar in my future.

I think I need a narrower exhaust, as I don't want it to protrude past the tires - So it won't get bashed loading.

Thanks for sharing!

Michael

Reactions: CumminsPusher
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I like this exhaust mod a lot :D I can see something similar in my future.

I think I need a narrower exhaust, as I don't want it to protrude past the tires - So it won't get bashed loading.

Thanks for sharing!

Michael

I have a trailer ball on a receiver insert in the 1 1/2" frame hole as you can see. It sticks out plenty to protect the muffler and very rarely does the insert touch any obstacle or anything else when off roading. Also, if something were to hit the muffler (assuming no trailer insert) it would have already hit the rear rack, both fenders and the top center cover. Just my $0.02

WB

Reactions: Smitty335
sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
After 350 tough miles on a month long archery hunt in the Utah mountains....Worked perfectly. No power issues. VERY QUIET-the deer would let me ride right by them without spooking. My friends could not hear me coming-could sneak right up on them....Nothing came loose or vibrated...Verdict: Successful Project if quiet is your game!!!
Could you take a video to record the audio and share it with us? Interested in replicating your project. what RTV sealant did you use to fill the pipe voids due to diameter difference? Do you still have this on your machine?

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
@sleepybear ...
Yes its still on "SNEAKER".
All I have done in 4 years is replace the flex pipe 2 times for $20 total due to normal flexing wear but at least the extra muffler is not hanging on the oem muffler and the head studs. Any RTV works but the hi temp red fits the usage best. Even the flex does not hit ANYTHING!!! If you will snorkle the airbox inlet pipe and run it up to the roof the interior noise will go waaaay down as well. I use a real primary air filter up there and it helps protect my regular air filter from the really dusty riding days. Shop vac 2 1/2" hose kit $20 @ Lowes) works for this - connect to airbox pipe with a "Fernco" coupler. The plumbing section knows what they are. Seal all joints with Sikaflex urethane caulking.(Lowes also).
WB

sleepybear

sleepybear

Jun 17, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
@sleepybear ...
Yes its still on "SNEAKER".
All I have done in 4 years is replace the flex pipe 2 times for $20 total due to normal flexing wear but at least the extra muffler is not hanging on the oem muffler and the head studs. Any RTV works but the hi temp red fits the usage best. Even the flex does not hit ANYTHING!!! If you will snorkle the airbox inlet pipe and run it up to the roof the interior noise will go waaaay down as well. I use a real primary air filter up there and it helps protect my regular air filter from the really dusty riding days. Shop vac 2 1/2" hose kit $20 @ Lowes) works for this - connect to airbox pipe with a "Fernco" coupler. The plumbing section knows what they are. Seal all joints with Sikaflex urethane caulking.(Lowes also).
WB
I have the same 1.25 flex pipe in hand, and a used silent rider exhaust I am going to try to route it to (its for a different model so I can't just slap it on. Found the RTV red at local Menards hardware store. Last thing I need to find is the size of muffler clamps that will bolt the flex pipe on. Do you happen to have a model number of the ones you used? If I don't get results, I will order the same muffler you have.

I am surprised to hear the air intake mod helps with noise but I will be trying that after the exhaust. I haven't seen where the 2.5 inch hose connects to on the machines air intake, I should probably take a closer look. If you have photos posted of what you did there, I would be glad to know where the thread is located. Sorry for the questions, I understand building construction better than vehicles.

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I cut the intake pipe just downstream from the resonator. The fernco may have had 2 different sizes. Measure the pipe where the cut is to be made. I suspect it is 2"m OD-if so you'd need a 2" x 2.5" fernco. Be sure to assemble the intake using liberal amounts of sikafIex. I described how I connected the flex pipe in detail - please read it carefully again.

Walker SFX Muffler # 18424
Flex Pipe is 1 1/4" OD # 40001 - I used 2' of it
I shortened the inlet & outlet of the muffler a bit over an inch each. Then I slit and cut the cut off pieces about 1/4", rolled them smaller, and used them as bushings to make the flex pipe a snug fit into the muffler. Put a baby tack weld at muffler entry and exit just to keep flex from walking out if it tried. I put a bit of RTV in the edge of the flex pipe where it clamped to the muffler to fill the holes where the flex wrinkled since I was clamping 1 1/4" down to 1 1/8"(Muffler OD). I hope this helps!

WB

Reactions: sleepybear

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!