Honda Africa Twin (2016) Post your Thoughts & Wants !

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This looks to be a serious contender in the class, loved my 1987 XR650L can't imagine what 30 years of technology has brought to this revolutionary model.

From this:
Xr650l 08a1

To This:

AT20small20left20side zpsaytjrluz
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT LHP Silver zpsjahrruip
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT Front Silver zpshz6lweir

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I miss my bikes each one of them was fun in their own way. The 650 was my second bike. In the past 5 years I've "almost" bought an adventure bike several times but never pulled the trigger maybe in the next 5 I might get the AT. Pioneer 1000-5 comes first.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I had a 2007 xr650l, not much of an adventure bike because after an hour and a half my whole body would start tingling and not in a good way. Honda hasn't really done anything to it for decades and I think they will probably just drop it. Price on the African twin is $13,700 for the dct! Not as high as I was expecting. Sounds better than a $20,000 KTM.

Reactions: Dp5hunter
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a 2007 xr650l, not much of an adventure bike because after an hour and a half my whole body would start tingling and not in a good way. Honda hasn't really done anything to it for decades and I think they will probably just drop it. Price on the African twin is $13,700 for the dct! Not as high as I was expecting. Sounds better than a $20,000 KTM.

Yep exactly why I got rid of it, and exactly why I've ALMOST bought an Adventure bike but never could commit to 20k for a bike that couldn't also do work.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I miss my bikes each one of them was fun in their own way. The 650 was my second bike. In the past 5 years I've "almost" bought an adventure bike several times but never pulled the trigger maybe in the next 5 I might get the AT. Pioneer 1000-5 comes first.

I hear ya, probably 2018 at the earliest for me on the motorcycle but that's what dreams are for. If Honda gets things in gear on a Sport SxS to compete at the same level of todays unveil the motorcycle will have to wait longer. I will keep both my P500 and P1000-5 for their unique abilities but would not mind a more aggressive model only from Honda for the "solo" play times on the trails.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm looking at around 2020 for the bike. Got a house to pay off then I can roll with you and the other retires.

I hear you there, I was finally smart enough to buy my last house on a 15 year note instead of a 30 yr, that was 10 years ago. I cannot believe how much equity I had built up in it in only 10 years. This is helping my position when I go to move and rebuild in TN.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
Adventure bikes sound like fun but I don't think they are for me. I would rather fly somewhere cool and rent a bike than spend many hours on the highway dodging drivers texting and thunderstorms. Roughing it for me is more than 1 person per bathroom. Three or four hour long trips on my wr250r is what I like to do.

Last edited:
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think this is the bike I want but just not sure. I have been looking in the duel-sport market for a while but just can't make up my mind and pull the trigger! This AT1000 my be the one!?!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Adventure bikes sound like fun but I don't think they are for me. I would rather fly somewhere cool and rent a bike that spend many hours on the highway dodging drivers texting and thunderstorms. Roughing it for me is more than 1 person per bathroom. Three or four hour trips on my wr250r is what I like to do.

I agree it would not be fun to have to use it as a commute before & after the "adventure" riding began. My perspective on this would be to have one as alternative transportation option other than my tow vehicle. Having the luxury of a garage in the camper open up options for me. Many places the wife and I go to a really pretty, and rural. Having a street legal machine like this to experience the State & National parks in nice weather in my opinion would be much nice that in my truck especially on the narrower roads.

I guess I was looking at it from my perspective, I would not desire to dodge texting teens, possums, and Prius owners with something to prove on the open road.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guess I was looking at it from my perspective, I would not desire to dodge texting teens, possums, and Prius owners with something to prove on the open road.

Exactly why I sold my bikes. There was a really bad accident here a few years ago. Texting driver never checked up and ran through a red light, AND the Harley rider stopped at the light. They found most of him but never found the rear wheel.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I am so hard for that bike i do belive i will own one by spring time " please hunny i really need it the other ones arnt comfortable for me any more" hahahahah

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I am so hard for that bike i do belive i will own one by spring time " please hunny i really need it the other ones arnt comfortable for me any more" hahahahah

Be like on the movie RV, "Well Bob who had to have a custom $4000 bicycle?" Bob - ""It's for my hips you know they aren't aligned"

All hail the Africa Twin 1000 on behalf of bad hips, sign me up!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Be like on the movie RV, "Well Bob who had to have a custom $4000 bicycle?" Bob - ""It's for my hips you know they aren't aligned"

All hail the Africa Twin 1000 on behalf of bad hips, sign me up!
Hahahahahaha i love that line

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
AT1000 Offered with either a six-speed manual gearbox or a new DCT transmission with selectable on- and off-road modes, both versions have ABS standard with rear ABS on/off and Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC). MSRP is set at $12,999 for the base model, and $13,699 for the DCT version. I was also told that a foot shifter will also be available. I will try to find more info!

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
here is some good INFO on the DCT, the note (at the bottom) is what I found interesting

Q1. What is a Dual Clutch Transmission?

A.
The Dual Clutch Transmission is Honda's most advanced automatic transmission system for motorcycles. Its layout and manual-like feel are strikingly similar to conventional sports bike engines and their transmissions.
Q2. Is the Dual Clutch Transmission an automatic transmission?
A.
Yes, but with a difference. Honda's Dual Clutch Transmission utilizes a computerized electro-hydraulic control system to switch between the gears of a conventional six-speed transmission. It is equipped with two clutch packs, and gear selection can be manually controlled by a pair of switches located on the handlebar. The system also has an AT (Automatic Transmission) mode that offers virtually fully automatic gear change control.
Q3. Is manual gear operation possible?
A.
Yes, individual gears can be selected using a pair of switches built into the left handlebar switch pod. The thumb switch is used to downshift, and the index finger switch is used to change up a gear.
Q4. Is there a clutch lever?
A.
Since the system's two clutches are operated entirely by way of electronic control, the handlebar has no clutch lever.
Q5. Is operation possible using a shift pedal?
A.
As the transmission cannot be mechanically shifted by foot, no shift pedal is provided.
Note: A foot shifter kit is also optionally available for some models in some countries.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yep confirmed

Amid yesterdays news that Honda had released pricing for the 2016 CRF1000L Africa in North America was a quiet note that all DCT models would be equipped with a foot shift lever.

I started this thread so I don't high jack this one
Africa twin 1000 INFO | The Honda Side by Side Club!

Reactions: jak9922
C

CATaylor

Sep 3, 2015
I would personally love to see that motor shoved in a XR650R frame outfitted in SM trim. If they made that I would buy it tomorrow.

MaleRN28US

MaleRN28US

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2015
Roanoke, Indiana
Exactly why I sold my bikes. There was a really bad accident here a few years ago. Texting driver never checked up and ran through a red light, AND the Harley rider stopped at the light. They found most of him but never found the rear wheel.
This is exactly why I am getting out of motorcycles. A teen texter almost took out my wife and I on a ride. I ended up in the gravel on the shoulder on my side of the road and the bumper of the car being driven by the teen only missed by a few inches. It didnt hit home until I realized after that I would have had a 14 year old at home by herself until they pieced together who we were.

Reactions: ohanacreek
scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
I've been looked at dual sport bikes for awhile. If a sport SxS doesn't come out i might end up getting one of these. I don't really want a 1000 adventure type tho. I like a 600cc or so for a dual sport. I want a small trailer for my bike. I'm going to use it to hunt and fish. Get into places and if i shoot a deer put it on trailer. I do wish it was a little faster. I think top speed is 100

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!