Honda Announces 2016 Pioneer 1000

Psylas

Psylas

Apr 30, 2015
Anchorage, Alaska
Glad Honda has stepped it up. Spec sheet looks great. Has everything I could want but I'm sure at a price more than im willing to spend. Grats to the guys picking this up. Looks to be a winner.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I sold my Ranger 900 the first year, just too many failures and design problems. Ranger 900 sales will take a hit. The Honda 1000 has it all and then some. Easy to get Happy and the Sport Models will be Awesome. The 6 speeds are necessary for super smooth shifting. I have dibs on the first one my dealer gets with power steering.

Reactions: Fordman
bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have to stop reading and watching all this new release INFO or I am going to end up owning my P700-4 and a P1000-5

Reactions: JACKAL and Hondasxs
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
C

catman

Mar 4, 2013
The African twin motor appears to be a double overhead cam engine design, where the new p1k motor is derived from the crf motorcrossers wich is the UNI-CAM DESIGN which a singular cam still operating four valves, a light weight,free reving simple design which has been well proven for high performance!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: scottn57
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The African twin motor appears to be a double overhead cam engine design, where the new p1k motor is derived from the crf motorcrossers wich is the UNI-CAM DESIGN which a singular cam still operating four valves, a light weight,free reving simple design which has been well proven for high performance!!!

Thanks @catman I've been outside all day working around our land haven't had time to do the research.

Reactions: catman
B

Bowtech32

Dec 6, 2013
I hope it is fairly quite at lower RPM's, this will be my next hunting rig

Reactions: catman
advertisement
rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
Just left the Honda Dealership where they were showing me videos of the new 1000. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. Guess I'll be trading in my 700 ;)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just left the Honda Dealership where they were showing me videos of the new 1000. Have to say I'm pretty impressed. Guess I'll be trading in my 700 ;)

Ain't that just like them salesman. ;)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have to stop reading and watching all this new release INFO or I am going to end up owning my P700-4 and a P1000-5

Sounds like the American way of supporting the economy. LOL

I intend to end up with two Pioneer 500 and one 1000-5 before its said and done :D

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The P1K release video uses the words "... Purpose built..." I used to think the African twin would share a motor as well now I'm not so sure.

Both motors share a similar design and by swapping out the cylinder, piston, head, throttle body lets Honda use the different cam setup and intake setup for the SxS purpose versus the high HP purpose of the Africa Twin design. There is probably 30-40 HP less on the Pioneer purpose built version of that platform that may be able to be upgraded albeit expensively.

My experience was on a 1986 ATC250R and with some help of Bruce Ogilvie who headed up Honda's Off Road Division back then got me set up with entire top ends and electronics from the CR 250R HPP Honda Power port system - that effin motor would scream. in that 3 wheeler. It looked like this noting the boxes up by exhaust ports:
Csteel21232

Anyway to make this work on the ATC bottom end, required servos and electronics that was nothing short of amazing for that era but gave you 4 stroke torque and power all through the RPM range by having a wide exhaust port at lower RPM the narrowing and raising the exhaust port on the cylinder wall as the RPM increased making hellacious top end speed too. I had a rider run my setup (broken both my wrists) and the Nationals and hit 117 MPH on the 1 mile oval dirt track strait away on my ATC250R the only guy that beat him was Factory Team Honda rider that had slightly taller gearing and the same engine setup.

Back to the current century and the Pioneer 1000 - It may be possible that by replacing the Cylinder, Piston, Head, Fuel Injection Throttle body, and electronics along with a better breathing exhaust and intake the Pioneer could get in the 100 HP range and be reliable. It would be an expensive way to do it but very likely possible. As the saying goes speed cost money how fast can you afford to go? :eek:

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
it would be cheaper to just boost it.

Well that depends on how far you are really wanting to go, a good turbo setup (kit) is in the $4K to $5K range and get you to 140HP (assuming you double the 70 HP) W/O killing reliability. However replacing the parts I mentioned above would be in the $2K range get you into the 100 HP range then turbo it as well now you have a powertrain that is at a HP level above the pure sport offerings say in the (160 - 180 HP) with mild boost. But that's a heck of an investment $7Kish in the engine alone just to beat the competitior's offerings by 20-30 HP and we haven't even addressed the suspension to match the power.

spifyd

spifyd

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2014
newhampshire
well I know for a fact if your doing the turbo your self you could do it for less then 2500. if you want to stay at or below 7 psi.
im just wondering where im going to put it. cant wait to see more pics or one in person.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well that depends on how far you are really wanting to go, a good turbo setup (kit) is in the $4K to $5K range and get you to 140HP (assuming you double the 70 HP) W/O killing reliability. However replacing the parts I mentioned above would be in the $2K range get you into the 100 HP range then turbo it as well now you have a powertrain that is at a HP level above the pure sport offerings say in the (160 - 180 HP) with mild boost. But that's a heck of an investment $7Kish in the engine alone just to beat the competitior's offerings by 20-30 HP and we haven't even addressed the suspension to match the power.
well I know for a fact if your doing the turbo your self you could do it for less then 2500. if you want to stay at or below 7 psi.
im just wondering where im going to put it. cant wait to see more pics or one in person.

After you two figure it out, I'll do it. ;)

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After you two figure it out, I'll do it. ;)

My engine building / racing days are over, although it would be fun I broke too many bones as a young man believing I was indestructible. Nothing will ground your speed demon aspirations faster than having to rely on someone else to wipe your rear end for 3 months because you are in steel pins and casts on both hands from fingertip to elbows. It took me 5 years to fully recover from that.

The performance and reliability built into the SxS coming out is enough to keep me grinning ear to ear. With age comes a cage and a better appreciation for life.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I think engine builders will have plenty of room for turbo & intercooler mods from looking at the photos, will be tight but doable:

P100020Engine20Detail zps4hw1n5yn P100020Chassis20detail zpsfli8gsuj

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!