P1000 Honda Floor Mat evaluation

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've been accessorizing my new 2016 Pioneer 1000 (bought as a leftover) and gotten a lot of help here on the forums, so this post is my attempt to help some others.

In terms of 'genuine Honda accessories', I've installed the Honda hard roof, rear view mirror and pillar mounted side mirrors, and been very pleased with their quality. More expensive than some third party offerings, but guaranteed fit. (Also did the True battery isolater and Odyssey dual battery.)

Yesterday, I installed the Honda brand front floor mat. Pricey, to be sure, but I figured, hey, I know it will fit like a glove and how long could it take to 'install', five minutes?

First, the quality is excellent - nice thick, durable, rubbery material. Should wear like iron. Even has 'Pioneer' embossed in it. But the install - good grief! Remove the seat bottom. Remove roughly 20 fasteners and the front floor (!). (And you'll be removing more fasteners than the directions state, or the floor isn’t coming out.) Then temporarily attach the mat to the floor, drill some holes, remove the mat, reinstall the floor (carefully, because you need to omit specified fasteners) place the mat, then drill some holes in the floor to match the holes you drilled in the mat (very carefully, so as not to puncture fluid lines beneath), then install the mat and the last of the floor fasteners, plus all the others you removed.

In my opinion, the 'juice wasn't worth the squeeze'. Including confusion and a couple missteps, about 2.5 hours over two days - to install a floor mat! (To be fair, I could do it a lot faster now that I've done it once.) It does look good, and I'm sure it will wear well, but I have one major criticism - Honda punched eight large ellipitical holes in the mat, two on either side of the center hump, I'm guessing because the material is so thick and relatively inflexible it wouldn't have allowed for installation without the holes. But the holes will also allow material to get under the mat I just installed, which can't be easily removed to clean underneath it. Poor design choice, which could have been avoided by choosing a different, more flexible, or thinner material, or heat molding it so it would fit the hump. Or even supplying 'plugs' for the holes.

Were it not for that, I would cautiously recommend it, provided you don't mind the install hassle. But for me, I wouldn't choose this mat again. I'd find another solution.

Last edited:
P

Porkyrhc

Dec 31, 2017
Glen Allen, Va.
Ownership

1. 500
thanks for the info. i was thinking of putting them on my 500, i wander if it will be the same problem. i dont want them that bad.

Reactions: BWAF
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been accessorizing my new 2016 Pioneer 1000 (bought as a leftover) and gotten a lot of help here on the forums, so this post is my attempt to help some others.

In terms of 'genuine Honda accessories', I've installed the Honda hard roof, rear view mirror and pillar mounted side mirrors, and been very pleased with their quality. More expensive than some third party offerings, but guaranteed fit. (Also did the True battery isolater and Odyssey dual battery.)

Yesterday, I installed the Honda brand front floor mat. Pricey, to be sure, but I figured, hey, I know it will fit like a glove and how long could it take to 'install', five minutes?

First, the quality is excellent - nice thick, durable, rubbery material. Should wear like iron. Even has 'Pioneer' embossed in it. But the install - good grief! Remove the seat bottom. Remove roughly 20 fasteners and the front floor (!). (And you'll be removing more fasteners than the directions state, or the floor isn’t coming out.) Then temporarily attach the mat to the floor, drill some holes, remove the mat, reinstall the floor (carefully, because you need to omit specified fasteners) place the mat, then drill some holes in the floor to match the holes you drilled in the mat (very carefully, so as not to puncture fluid lines beneath), then install the mat and the last of the floor fasteners, plus all the others you removed.

In my opinion, the 'juice wasn't worth the squeeze'. Including confusion and a couple missteps, about 2.5 hours over two days - to install a floor mat! (To be fair, I could do it a lot faster now that I've done it once.) It does look good, and I'm sure it will wear well, but I have one major criticism - Honda punched four large ellipitical holes in the mat, two on either side of the center hump, I'm guessing because the material is so thick and relatively inflexible it wouldn't have allowed for installation without the holes. But the holes will also allow material to get under the mat I just installed, which can't be easily removed to clean underneath it. Poor design choice, which could have been avoided by choosing a different, more flexible, or thinner material, or heat molding it so it would fit the hump. Or even supplying 'plugs' for the holes.

Were it not for that, I would cautiously recommend them, provided you don't mind the install hassle. But for me, I wouldn't choose them again. I'd find another solution.
I have never even consider a floor mat in the Pioneer. Just like we did with the OLD pickup back in the 60's, before they had carpet .......... wash them out with a hose pipe ...... dirt gone.

G

GGreen

May 18, 2018
Amherst, MA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have never even consider a floor mat in the Pioneer. Just like we did with the OLD pickup back in the 60's, before they had carpet .......... wash them out with a hose pipe ...... dirt gone.
You're right, the floor is sturdy and waterproof as is, and a mat definitely isn't a requirement. On the other hand, dirt will hose out, sure, but scratches and wear won't. I admit, I'm obsessive about the condition of my equipment, but its always served me well, especially when I sell it on to the next guy. My experience is if it looks good, it commands a higher price. Then again, if you buy it and never plan to sell it, forget the mats!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I got one because it's easier to hose out. Smoother surface, not as many crevices for crap to settle into. I usually wash from the top down and when you get the hose right into some of those voids it blows mud all over the place.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
on Ebay under Honda pioneer 1000 accessories there is a molded front floor mat for 117 dollars I have one in my P3 and it fits like a glove just lay it in and done. they also have the floor mats for the P5 front and rear and a rear bed mat that fits like a glove I also have the bed mat it is 130 dollars it has cut outs for the tie down hooks in the bed of the pioneer. both are well made.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
on Ebay under Honda pioneer 1000 accessories there is a molded front floor mat for 117 dollars I have one in my P3 and it fits like a glove just lay it in and done. they also have the floor mats for the P5 front and rear and a rear bed mat that fits like a glove I also have the bed mat it is 130 dollars it has cut outs for the tie down hooks in the bed of the pioneer. both are well made.
That sounds like the ones I've got... can't recall where I ordered them as they never emailed me a receipt or shipping info, but luckily they showed up. They're made like WeatherTech mats.

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
thanks for the info. i was thinking of putting them on my 500, i wander if it will be the same problem. i dont want them that bad.
I have them on my 500 and I will tell you they install easily and hold up very well. Mine is a 2015 and I put the in when I purchased it, they are pricey but Weather Tech floor mats are also and we all know how great those are.

Reactions: trigger and BWAF
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3

In my opinion, the 'juice wasn't worth the squeeze'. Including confusion and a couple missteps, about 2.5 hours over two days - to install a floor mat! (To be fair, I could do it a lot faster now that I've done it once.) It does look good, and I'm sure it will wear well, but I have one major criticism - Honda punched eight large ellipitical holes in the mat, two on either side of the center hump, I'm guessing because the material is so thick and relatively inflexible it wouldn't have allowed for installation without the holes. But the holes will also allow material to get under the mat I just installed, which can't be easily removed to clean underneath it. Poor design choice, which could have been avoided by choosing a different, more flexible, or thinner material, or heat molding it so it would fit the hump. Or even supplying 'plugs' for the holes.

Were it not for that, I would cautiously recommend it, provided you don't mind the install hassle. But for me, I wouldn't choose this mat again. I'd find another solution.

Why can’t the Honda OEM floor mat just be placed on the floor without any attachment fasteners? Will it not lay flat, will it roll up? Just asking.

advertisement
H

Huntington

May 2, 2019
Austin Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why can’t the Honda OEM floor mat just be placed on the floor without any attachment fasteners? Will it not lay flat, will it roll up? Just asking.
I have the Honda OEM floor mats (2018 1000-5) & after reading the install instructions, decided to just lay it flat & not drill holes & permanently install; no problems! It lays flat, doesn’t curl up anywhere or move underfoot when I enter or exit.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Th
I have the Honda OEM floor mats (2018 1000-5) & after reading the install instructions, decided to just lay it flat & not drill holes & permanently install; no problems! It lays flat, doesn’t curl up anywhere or move underfoot when I enter or exit.

Thanks for the reply Huntington.

So the mat just lays flat like a car floor mat and doesn’t move? Great

So wonder why Honda wants owners to attach fasteners?

Another question....is the floor mat high/thick enough to cover the bottom gap between the doors and floor board?

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Don’t waste your money on the Honda floor mats go on eBay and type in Honda pioneer 1000 accessories the floor mats will be on there and they are a lot better than the Honda floor mats and cost less and they fit like a glove no drilling holes these mats don’t move and they cover everything

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So wonder why Honda wants owners to attach fasteners?

Probably because of the Toyota "self accelerating" cars phenomenon. Big lawsuits tend to have lasting results.

Reactions: lee
Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Probably because of the Toyota "self accelerating" cars phenomenon. Big lawsuits tend to have lasting results.

Just looked up Toyota "self accelerating" cars phenomenon”. Wasn’t aware of this but you are probably right over the target.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes that is the floor mat on eBay and they also make a bed mat I have both in my 2017 pioneer 3P like I said they fit very well lot better made than the Honda floor mat and a lot cheaper

Reactions: Phantom
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I love the front floor mat. I layed it down and drilled the holes. No problem just don't sink the bit. Passenger side you could hit the radiator hose.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I love the front floor mat. I layed it down and drilled the holes. No problem just don't sink the bit. Passenger side you could hit the radiator hose.

I have the OEM bed liner and like it. I’m guessing the front floor liner is made of the same material and thickness?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!