Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Noob question: Is there any stipulation regarding the warranty when service is done? Either factory tech and/or Honda parts? Not so Noob question: Is there some kind of silcock adapter like the easylube guys install to facilitate an easier draining. Last thing. Thanks again for details like these, it's this kind of thing that makes this site such an amazing resource. I cant wait to revisit these instructions when the time comes.
Keep your receipts for proof that you did the service though and write down the hours and miles so you have a log of said service

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Have any of you guys tried one of those vacuum oil sucker things? I'm wondering if it would make less of a mess if you got more out first. I've had luck with other vehicles using a piece of folded paper or the box from an oil filter to redirect the oil. Works especially good on GM vehicles that have the factory skid plate to use the oil filter box
So the vacuum sucker thing didn't do a whole lot. Between the engine and transfercase I think I got 3 liters. The drain plug in the middle barely made a mess though in my trail armor skids. The rear plug was messy and the transfer case one too but that one had I planned a head you can easily put rags or paper to guide it out to not make a mess. I think you could do that with the rear plug on the motor to help too.

Either shoving rags below the filters or using cardboard and some tape would greatly help with the oil filters. There's a pretty good charge of fluid that drops out of them as well.

Thanks for the write up. There was definitely parts that helped me save some time.

Reactions: Hondasxs
jpgoody98

jpgoody98

Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2016
Kearney, MO
Great write up thanks!

I bought your suggested funnel too, well worth it, works great, I zip-tied it to the ROPS just below chest height, worked great!!

I will be taking my skid plate(factory) OFF next time forrrrrr sure!!

Be careful with the the filter covers, I assume that's aluminum. 9-ftlbs is light, i put my hand around the very base of the rachet to serverly limit my force applied, then snug it up tight.

B

bdiesel3

Feb 14, 2016
West MI
Picture 9 of 23 says to change the DCT filter first, I noticed you changed the engine filter first, does it make a difference or not? Thanks

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Picture 9 of 23 says to change the DCT filter first, I noticed you changed the engine filter first, does it make a difference or not? Thanks
I changed my DCT oil filter first since it was on bottom, but you only have to change the DCT filter every other oil change while you change the engine oil filter every oil change. For $7 I'm changing them both filters every time. But it doesn't matter really, go against the grain be a rebel. :cool:

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I changed my DCT oil filter first since it was on bottom, but you only have to change the DCT filter every other oil change while you change the engine oil filter every oil change. For $7 I'm changing them both filters every time. But it doesn't matter really, go against the grain be a rebel. :cool:
I agree, change them both. They're in the same oil so it doesn't completely make sense to me why they wouldn't want you too in the first place.

Reactions: joeymt33
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
What's with this procedure to check the oil level?
I was not getting consistent readings so I used a stop watch. Ran it for exactly 5 minutes then turned the engine off and tested at the following times:
1 minute - hit the lower mark on the dip stick
2 minutes - about 2/3 between upper and lower marks
3 minutes - at the top mark
4 minutes - over the top.
WTF... are we supposed to carry a stop watch. Then if its low you have to add a couple ounces and run it again for 5 minutes.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
What's with this procedure to check the oil level?
I was not getting consistent readings so I used a stop watch. Ran it for exactly 5 minutes then turned the engine off and tested at the following times:
1 minute - hit the lower mark on the dip stick
2 minutes - about 2/3 between upper and lower marks
3 minutes - at the top mark
4 minutes - over the top.
WTF... are we supposed to carry a stop watch. Then if its low you have to add a couple ounces and run it again for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I made a mistake and when I put the filter cover back on the large filter cover I rotated it to the right so eng stamped in the cover is now vertical will this cause any problems??? thanks for your help

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I don't think so. Look at step 4. You can see there is really no reason for it to be one way or the other... Other then the bolt holes lining up.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I don't think so. Look at step 4. You can see there is really no reason for it to be one way or the other... Other then the bolt holes lining up.
thanks after looking at the pic u pointed out I don't think it matters if someone does think it matters please post why thanks again!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
thanks after looking at the pic u pointed out I don't think it matters if someone does think it matters please post why thanks again!
does anyone know weather the pioneers come with break in oil in them to start? reason I ask is because I have seen break in oils in the past that were dark to start with?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
does anyone know weather the pioneers come with break in oil in them to start? reason I ask is because I have seen break in oils in the past that were dark to start with?
I am fairly sure they don't use anything special. Just normal GN4!

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I was just curious cause I changed my oil and it looks dark in a clear glass but looks great on a paper towel

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
IMG 1347
IMG 1346
IMG 1345

Reactions: Haldog77
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the info. Haven't had to do this yet because I won't get my machine until next week.:) Love having the info before hand.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
oil on left is out of my machine just over 100 miles looks clean in towel looks dirty in glass on the right is new honda synthetic
Thats how mine looked too. I think its just a result of the break-in - not special oil they put in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!