P500 Honda Pioneer 500 High Speed Gear Set Video

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
This would be amazing! But I want to make sure that it doesn’t kill low end grunt in first gear. I need that for pulling power more than I need the top speed.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
View attachment 359496
Would 48 mph be close enough? This is after I first did the mod 3 or 4 years ago. I have hit 52 with me and my wife in it a few times since but don't have a pic of it.
48 MPH would be acceptable and a HUGE improvement over the factory setting. With my current tire/wheel setup, I'm able to hit 41 MPH, however, it's all but impossible to maintain that speed since I'm constantly bouncing off the rev limiter.

I am really only considering this modification for the times I use my P520 on the street. I just want to be able to cruise at a consistent, and honest 45MPH on the street and not completely stress the machine.

Mike

S

slydogge

Jul 3, 2022
Pensacola fl
Ownership

1. 500
This does not what so ever kill low end grunt. In the test video I have a place card of notes after one of the runs with a break down of the first final ratio compared to the first final ratio of a pioneer 700. What I can tell you that the video shows and I can feel is when it has a 1000lb load behind it, and you are in 3rd/4th/5th gear you can feel the drag more there. Not a huge difference but there is a difference and the test data shows it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
48 MPH would be acceptable and a HUGE improvement over the factory setting. With my current tire/wheel setup, I'm able to hit 41 MPH, however, it's all but impossible to maintain that speed since I'm constantly bouncing off the rev limiter.

I am really only considering this modification for the times I use my P520 on the street. I just want to be able to cruise at a consistent, and honest 45MPH on the street and not completely stress the machine.

Mike
It should be mentioned, I wasn't on the rev limiter with these runs, it just runs out of power. Since I did the 520cc mod it will pull to the rev limiter but I don't have a gps in it anymore..... I'd guess 54-55 mph now, she's screaming at that speed though. 😬

I'm done messing with the 475/520 engine now though, the next mod is going to be a P1K/T1K transplant 😈

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
OK,

First and foremost this was a great series. I have gone back and watched the results video at least 4 times now so I can understand what effect this will have at RPM and speed. I very much appreciate the time and effort it took to do this project and all of the video work.

I like I would love to have the additional top speed; I'm still trying to figure out if the work is worth the return. I'm not really scared to take the P520 apart, as I just got done doing a lot of mods that required taking major components out and replacing them. I'm just not sure that my attention span is long enough to do the mod.

Is anyone planning on doing this?

Rob

S

slydogge

Jul 3, 2022
Pensacola fl
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks! I’ve been trying to get some stuff together for some other things I lined up for the channel but have not had time. I did end up building a custom dump bed for the Honda and I’m going to try and post a video of the parts/cuts/tricks to build it and some working video with the new bed. It will not be nearly as detailed as the gear swap vid. I figure anyone who would take on this project is looking for ideas more than the exact step by step. 247BFDE7 2C8B 4324 AF64 8213702BC12F

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
OK,

First and foremost this was a great series. I have gone back and watched the results video at least 4 times now so I can understand what effect this will have at RPM and speed. I very much appreciate the time and effort it took to do this project and all of the video work.

I like I would love to have the additional top speed; I'm still trying to figure out if the work is worth the return. I'm not really scared to take the P520 apart, as I just got done doing a lot of mods that required taking major components out and replacing them. I'm just not sure that my attention span is long enough to do the mod.

Rob
Plenty already have, I've mailed out about 30-40 of the washers/shims for the speed sensor. I did my P5 back in '18, the P5.2 is no different

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
OK,

Rob

I'm considering it.

I would very much prefer to have the new 'high-speed' gears machined and ready for installation 'before' the P520 is torn apart.

Mike

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!