P1000 Honda Poly two piece windshield - Not sure I like it

M

mfinity

Nov 11, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I installed the Honda Poly windshield two piece yesterday.

First off the center support for the wind deflector center doesn't fit/work/etc. I viewed one youtube video with the same issue - see the image below for that bit. No matter how I messed with the fitting/placement - there was going to be a near 1"inch gap between the deflector and this center support bracket - if you've installed one - i'm sure you know what I mean. Not sure how Honda got this so caddywompass. Right now I don't have the bracket connected to the winshield - will have to fabricate something or other.

On to the longer term topic - which is Does anyone wish they had just gotten a one piece unit? The fiddly side brackets, the black seal across the wind deflector, just the entire thing fills me with regret. But now it's on the vehicle. And it's cold out - if it were hot out I may appreciate the split-screen option. Not sure.

Thoughts?

-m

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

First off the center support for the wind deflector center doesn't fit/work/etc. I viewed one youtube video with the same issue - see the image below for that bit. No matter how I messed with the fitting/placement - there was going to be a near 1"inch gap between the deflector and this center support bracket - if you've installed one - i'm sure you know what I mean. Not sure how Honda got this so caddywompass. Right now I don't have the bracket connected to the winshield - will have to fabricate something or other.

On to the longer term topic - which is Does anyone wish they had just gotten a one piece unit? The fiddly side brackets, the black seal across the wind deflector, just the entire thing fills me with regret. But now it's on the vehicle. And it's cold out - if it were hot out I may appreciate the split-screen option. Not sure.

Thoughts?

-m
Yeah, I had their two piece on my old 700 and hated it. I have the one piece on one of my 1000’s and it’s great. That bracket you highlighted fits perfect..

Reactions: BWAF and sharp
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I can't speak much for the windshields on the p1k's, but I can tell you the 700 windshields aren't much better. The rubber seals are a joke, the ones on the side of the upper portion hung around for the first year then shortly after that they became litter out on the trail somewhere. And if you ride in the rain, the water will run in under the fixed lower portion, down the dash and onto my leg. But I remind myself that it is an sxs,not my truck and a little water and breeze is par for the course so to speak.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

Thoughts?

-m

I did see that video and like you was concerned! I did however have a deflector mounted prior to installing the Honda OEM 2 piece windshield. The center bracket lined up perfectly with no gap. If you take pictures of the lower section I’m sure the problem will be evident. I will try to get some pics of my install later.

It’s later...
3DDB06CE F94F 4308 BB61 A62BA6D1ADAC 2F510018 1B98 4CA3 A182 891E5C12264C 82868A32 8B65 4AF4 9819 2773450151A1 C025DC3A 0480 4286 B18D BCB3AE8AAB7A 0D1FF537 0464 4F64 8EFD BE9E93FFED54 1519788C 8CCF 42E4 9BF1 C5A10B0AF1FE

Last edited:
M

mfinity

Nov 11, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I had their two piece on my old 700 and hated it. I have the one piece on one of my 1000’s and it’s great. That bracket you highlighted fits perfect..

Perfect as in perfect or Perfect as in = No it's a piece of crap? Sorry I'm assuming sarcasm because mine is so far out of whack.

Reactions: TimG and sharp
M

mfinity

Nov 11, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't speak much for the windshields on the p1k's, but I can tell you the 700 windshields aren't much better. The rubber seals are a joke, the ones on the side of the upper portion hung around for the first year then shortly after that they became litter out on the trail somewhere. And if you ride in the rain, the water will run in under the fixed lower portion, down the dash and onto my leg. But I remind myself that it is an sxs,not my truck and a little water and breeze is par for the course so to speak.

Yeah - I took the side seals off - manual said keep them if installing a full cab- which i'm not. So they are in the garage currently. Not happy about that water run-off you are reporting. Will see what happens with this one. It does kill the frigid wind - which is great.

Reactions: sharp
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’m not home right now but it can take a pic of that bracket when I get home if you like? My .2cents on this windshield. I like it for what it is. The machine is not an automobile. That said it’s not gona be perfect. If your patient you’ll get it to fit correctly. There are some windshields that fit dam near perfect if want to spend the money.

Reactions: Vikes79 and TimG
advertisement
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok thanks. I really did fiddle with it quite a bit. Not sure then. Stumped.
Mine was a little off..so i put a thick rubber washer between the windshield and middle support. Other than that it has served me well for almost 3 years

Reactions: TimG and sharp
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Ok thanks. I really did fiddle with it quite a bit. Not sure then. Stumped.
And remember, ours is on a one piece windshield, not the two piece. There may be a difference, and it will be nice when others with two piece windshields chime in on this for you..

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20181121 171552 20181121 171503 20181121 171417 20181121 171359 I have the two piece it fit fine for me.
If you can get pic maybe see if can help.
Its hell when thing don't work the way that should.

M

mfinity

Nov 11, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went back and messed with it - closed the gap to the point before the deflector would bow in/kink. It's ok at this point. Gap on inside is about 1/4" - and that will suffice. Thanks for the help!

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wound up using some spacers and a longer bolt on the center support on my two piece windshield.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!