P1000 Honda Poly two piece windshield - Not sure I like it

RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I installed the Honda Poly windshield two piece yesterday.

First off the center support for the wind deflector center doesn't fit/work/etc. I viewed one youtube video with the same issue - see the image below for that bit. No matter how I messed with the fitting/placement - there was going to be a near 1"inch gap between the deflector and this center support bracket - if you've installed one - i'm sure you know what I mean. Not sure how Honda got this so caddywompass. Right now I don't have the bracket connected to the winshield - will have to fabricate something or other.

On to the longer term topic - which is Does anyone wish they had just gotten a one piece unit? The fiddly side brackets, the black seal across the wind deflector, just the entire thing fills me with regret. But now it's on the vehicle. And it's cold out - if it were hot out I may appreciate the split-screen option. Not sure.

Thoughts?

-m

No issues on my install... no gap... I like it overall as the opening ability is great in the summer and the handles secure the unit nicely when closed... the only change I made was different screws to attach the center bracket to the dash. If you are looking to get rid of it, I'd be happy to buy it from you as my son in law and daughter just put a big scratch in mine :(

Gonna try buffing it out.

Honda windshield bracket 2

Honda windshield bracket 1

FredD

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
No issues on my install... no gap... I like it overall as the opening ability is great in the summer and the handles secure the unit nicely when closed... the only change I made was different screws to attach the center bracket to the dash. If you are looking to get rid of it, I'd be happy to buy it from you as my son in law and daughter just put a big scratch in mine :(

Gonna try buffing it out.

View attachment 95132

View attachment 95133

FredD
:eek:Your rig is way to clean! Lol. It almost looks new.
I’m a little curious if people are installing incorrectly or if there is an actual issue with dash, ROPS, or something else. Mine fits perfect as well!
D2B1D60A 2E5C 4ECA B772 139B33BF9ACE

Reactions: RedFred1
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks! I just got done doing a major tear down and mod so everything got a thorough cleaning... when I took it in to the dealer for the latest recalls, they wanted to know if I could do theirs! Uh... no thanks...

BTW, for the original poster... the windscreen install is really dependent on getting that base gasket on and compressed correctly. Once that is done, everything else falls into place.

FredD

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I did see that video and like you was concerned! I did however have a deflector mounted prior to installing the Honda OEM 2 piece windshield. The center bracket lined up perfectly with no gap. If you take pictures of the lower section I’m sure the problem will be evident. I will try to get some pics of my install later.

It’s later...
View attachment 94447 View attachment 94448 View attachment 94449 View attachment 94450 View attachment 94451 View attachment 94452

your right gasket is on the wrong...it is backwards... rubber flap should be faced the other way...

Reactions: Eltobgi
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
your right gasket is on the wrong...it is backwards... rubber flap should be faced the other way...
Thank you! If I would just learn to read he instructions, lol:p

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
No, the photos are not very clear in the instructions. It is very hard to see which is the front of the windscreen or back, they should have an arrow pointing which is which... also in order for the lower screen to fit properly either your lower bracket has to be a bit forward and not in correct position on the dashboard therefore not fitting the curveture of the bracket on the dash.. or putting putting in the correct position on the dash but then you have a bow in the windshield and therefore you have to put a spacer like you did... good idea. I had trouble with this too... I will calling honda on this one to see what they say... I am someone already has.

Reactions: TimG
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I’m not home right now but it can take a pic of that bracket when I get home if you like? My .2cents on this windshield. I like it for what it is. The machine is not an automobile. That said it’s not gona be perfect. If your patient you’ll get it to fit correctly. There are some windshields that fit dam near perfect if want to spend the money.

True but honda makes a heck of an automobile, their engineers should be able to get it right...

Reactions: Remington
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you! If I would just learn to read he instructions, lol:p
We don’t need no dang instructions, we just tear open the package and start twistin, cause we’re men and we know what to do......:D:D:D

advertisement
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
“BTW, for the original poster... the windscreen install is really dependent on getting that base gasket on and compressed correctly. Once that is done, everything else falls into place.”

As I said before... the key to that whole install fitting correctly is getting the gasket on correctly and compressed. Mine fits without bowing with everything where it should be.

FredD

Reactions: Remington and BWAF
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
“BTW, for the original poster... the windscreen install is really dependent on getting that base gasket on and compressed correctly. Once that is done, everything else falls into place.”

As I said before... the key to that whole install fitting correctly is getting the gasket on correctly and compressed. Mine fits without bowing with everything where it should be.

FredD
not the original poster but yes that makes it better, however if you put the center bracket where it is supposed to be and have it fit the curvature of the dash it will bow just a bit. if you move it forward 1/4" then it won't but then your bracket does not lay flat, at least on mine it was that way... I wanted my push pegs to go in straight and not have an air gap between the bracket and dash...

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I fiddled with mine for a good hour looking for the sweet spot. It would bow inwards and add a good amount of pressure to the plastic push pins. Didn’t like that. I added a rubber foot and a longer stainless steel bolt. Everything is good now! Fits tight and straight. Note: this is the wind screen, not the full windshield.

7115C449 221C 4E34 B90C 1C3931D48240 26833F29 B947 4296 8535 616DEFC9DACF

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
Ok thanks... I did the same thing, worked on it about 1.5 hours and then added a 3/8" rubber grommet and compressed it a little...

Thanks,
Gary

Reactions: Montecresto
Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having instillation issues also. I purchased the OEM roof and two piece windshield. I installed the roof no problem. The lower piece was a little tricky because of the side gasket orientation. I then went to install the upper and I can't get the clamps to install with the roof on. I thought the windshield was supposed to quick disconnect for towing? Can someone send a picture of the upper windshield clamps? Thanks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!