Honda releases full specs on the Africa Twin 1000!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Today Honda released the full specs behind its flagship adventure bike, The Africa Twin CRF1000L. This new bike features a 1000cc parallel twin, 6speed, DCT engine boasting 93.87 hp with 72.3 ftlb of torque from factory.

So what does this have to do with the Pioneer 1000?
It is said to believe this is will the same base line engine that will be found on Honda's Flag Ship SxS the Honda Pioneer 1000! Though it will be altered with different transmission setup and other specific specs, the overall combustion engine design is should be relatively the same. We believe this shows the trust Honda already has behind this design.

Of course my immediate questions is... Will the Africa Twin top end easily transition over to my P1K?
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT FR34 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin Action4 2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT Detail

Africa Twin CRF1000L Specs!
  • Engine Type Liquid-cooled 4-stroke 8-valve Parallel Twin with 270° crank and uni-cam
  • Engine Displacement 998cm3
  • Max. Power Output 70kW/7,500rpm (95/1/EC)
  • Max. Torque 98Nm/6,000rpm (95/1/EC)
  • Bore & Stroke 92.0 & 75.1mm
  • Clutch Wet, multiplate with coil springs, Aluminum Cam Assist and Slipper clutch
  • Final Drive O-ring sealed chain
  • Gearbox / Transmission Type Constant mesh 6-speed MT / 6-speed DCT with on and off-road riding modes
  • Honda Selectable Torque Control System (HSTC) * HSTC 3-levels + Switch Off (*ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
  • Frame Type Steel semi-double cradle type with high-tensile strength steel rear subframe
  • Turning Radius 2.5m
  • Dry Weight 208kg (STD), 212 kg (ABS), 222kg (DCT)
  • Kerb Weight 228kg (STD), 232 kg (ABS), 242kg (DCT)
  • Fuel Capacity 18.8 liters
  • Length x Width x Height 2,335 x 875 x 1,475mm (STD), 2,335 x 930 x 1,475mm (ABS/DCT)
  • Wheelbase 1,575mm
  • Seat Height (STD position / Low position) 870/850mm
  • Ground Clearance 250mm
  • ABS system type ABS* 2-Channel with rear ABS off switch (* ABS & DCT models only, not on STD model)
  • Brakes Front 310mm dual wave floating hydraulic disc with aluminium hub and radial fit 4-piston calipers (*ABS) and sintered metal pads
  • Brakes Rear 256mm wave hydraulic disc with 2-piston caliper (*ABS) and sintered metal pads. Also Lever-Lock Type Parking Brake System on DCT model.
  • Wheels Front Wire spoke with aluminium rim
  • Wheels Rear Wire spoke with aluminium rim
  • Rim Size Front 21M/C x MT2.15
  • Rim Size Rear 18M/C x MT4.00
  • Tyres Front 90/90-R21 tube type
  • Tyres Rear 150/70-R18 tube type

Last edited:
C

classichonda

Jul 12, 2015
I saw somewhere the HP for tbe p1000 estimated to be around 75hp. Was this info way off or is there still a chance it could have figures closer to the bike?

W

WFM

Jun 20, 2015
Maine
Someone convert the Kg weight to Lbs please...the bike is half the weight of the SxS...Honda should give us the full 94 HP outta the box...come on!

Alexa

Alexa

May 7, 2015
Tifton, GA
I think the Pioneer might be setup for more torque less HP BECAUSE of the weight of the Pioneer.

Honda is going to give as much as it can, while still keeping the units VERY safe.... I agree that its limited because of weight - and it has four wheels as opposed to two - can carry five passengers opposed to one ... there has to be a safety factor in there...

that's why warranties get voided when you start doing your own engine work... so if someone soups up there P1K to where its capable of producing close to 100 and someone ends up getting hurt, the liability is removed from Honda and passed along to us, the customer...

I think anyway. Its still early, and I haven't had my coffee. :D

Reactions: bobbyhill
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think the Pioneer might be setup for more torque less HP BECAUSE of the weight of the Pioneer.

I would tend to agree with that theory, the disparity in loaded weights of the Africa Twin versus a Loaded P1K5 require two different power mapping needs entirely. I am very optimistic this 998cc engine & DCT platform will deliver miles of smiles for a broad range of users.

Reactions: Alexa and Springer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!