CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Electrical capacity copied from an answer to someone's question. They guy already had aftermarket lighting and wanted more (I don't have that thread so no context).

PaulF on Talon lighting -
Second, that is almost 400 watts just in lights (if they are all on at the same time) and probably a little more due to voltage drop in the wiring. The charging system is pretty big on the Talon (700 watts at 5000 RPM) but the running engine probably takes up around 250 watts. With all the lights on, you are pushing the charging system almost to its max. 13 on the aux battery is almost net charging (12.7 is fully charged for a lead acid battery) so it is barely keeping up at that point. Any more accessories may put you in a discharge state.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Electrical capacity copied from an answer to someone's question. They guy already had aftermarket lighting and wanted more (I don't have that thread so no context).

PaulF on Talon lighting -
Second, that is almost 400 watts just in lights (if they are all on at the same time) and probably a little more due to voltage drop in the wiring. The charging system is pretty big on the Talon (700 watts at 5000 RPM) but the running engine probably takes up around 250 watts. With all the lights on, you are pushing the charging system almost to its max. 13 on the aux battery is almost net charging (12.7 is fully charged for a lead acid battery) so it is barely keeping up at that point. Any more accessories may put you in a discharge state.
Yeah, I know I’m really close.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’m hoping with the added light and being at a discharge state for a few hours of night riding, it will all get recharged during the day rides.Don’t know for sure.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m hoping with the added light and being at a discharge state for a few hours of night riding, it will all get recharged during the day rides.Don’t know for sure.
Are you scared of the dark?

Reactions: crewcabrob
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Add a VM, if it's reading above 13.5 volts you should be ok. If not, turn something off. My Talon charges at 14.4 to 14.5 while running (few accessories).

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Add a VM, if it's reading above 13.5 volts you should be ok. If not, turn something off. My Talon charges at 14.4 to 14.5 while running (few accessories).
I do have a volt meter for each battery, but don’t want to spend more money on more lighting if I can’t use it.

advertisement
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Sorry, about my calculations earlier guys. I miss read and fuced up!
looks like its all correct now and your ready to rock.

@KenThompson like stated above, best to check your amps and volt draw when your system is running to see what your actually putting out. that will give u a good barring to pit your mind at ease.

Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Pioneer 500=.481 kW @ 5000 RPM

481 W / 12v = 40.0 Amps

My 2020 500 has about 14.1 volts dc with engine idling and no accessories turned on.
some estimates are that the engine uses 20 amps, leaving about 20 amps which would be 240 watts (20 x 12) for accessories. Drawing more power than that would pull the electrical system voltage down to or below the 12.5 to 13.5 Vdc range which will stop charging or cause a drain of the the battery charge.

So the Talon has more generated power (700 watts) and consumes more amps and watts while running the engine, compared to a smaller engine.

The best thing is to add a voltmeter so you know if the voltage is pulled down to 13.5 Vdc or less, with your lights on and sounds system or whatever, so you could know that your battery is not being charged or is being discharged.

All of these numbers are typical values, not absolute or exact calculations. Voltages vary with engine RPM battery condition, and total power draw on the electrical system.

Some useful experiences commented by everybody on this forum.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I very much appreciate the education guys! I will look at my winch numbers to see how many amps I pull at load.

I'm guessing that I should start adding up all of my electrical demands:
  • Chargers for the phones (x2)
  • Charger for the Ipad for navigation
  • Radios
  • Power steering
  • Headlights
  • Aux lights
  • Winch
  • LED whip
I bet I will max out my available power pretty quick.

Anyone know of a power upgrade for the 500-520s

Rob

Reactions: Brmcg324
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
LOL... that was for the 500 guy...

As for your setup above.
I think that would be fine, your looking at 30 amps.

FYI, Off brand light bars tend to pull WAY less then listed watts.
Brand names tend to pull closer to the listed watts, but not exact.
Whips are relatively small draw.
I think you are find with that.
Most important, totally ensure it is all to the second battery.
I would assume since Vision X makes lights for NASA and the military, they would be true to the wattage, and the Baja Design Squadron Pro’s do too.

Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!