P700 Honda-Warn winch winding direction

Iceguy31

Iceguy31

Sep 12, 2018
Huntsville, Al
Ownership

1. 700-2
2017 P700. I installed the Honda-Warn winch using the Honda winch mount kit and have a question. The kit has you mount the winch reverse of how you would typically mount one (normal is motor on passenger side, Honda has you flip and put it on the driver side). This results in the cable coming out of the fairlead off the top of the drum instead of the bottom, which is typically wrong (you want the moment arm closer to the mount base for strength). Another complication is that when the supplied remote is used, "in" has it wind the cable opposite (so under the drum after the fairlead) to the way it came out of the box, which is also opposite the sticker on the motor and the Warn instructions.

I know it probably doesn't matter to the motor, but it likely matters for the load holding brake. I asked my dealer (both parts and service) and they didn't know the answer. The service guy said if it was his, he'd follow the motor sticker and Warn book.

I'm not sure if I should call Warn or Honda given that Honda is the one that has you mount it reverse, but the Warn controller included with the winch winds it opposite their instructions (unless the Honda harness swapped the pins going between the controller and contactor).

Have you had this experience? Any issues using it coming off one way or the other? Is Honda the only kit that mounts the winch backward? Thanks in advance.

Iceguy31

Iceguy31

Sep 12, 2018
Huntsville, Al
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ended up re winding the way the winch docs/sticker say, despite being backward from the switch labels. We'll see how it goes!

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ended up re winding the way the winch docs/sticker say, despite being backward from the switch labels. We'll see how it goes!
Old thread I know but I'm browsing "winch" posts as I prepare to install a Warn VRX (couldn't justify the cost of the Axon). According to the Warn manual, normal operation is that cable feeds off the bottom of the drum. But according to the Warn mounting kit instructions, on the Pioneer the winch is actually mounted upside down (a matter of fit I guess) so in this case it feeds from what appears to be the top of the drum. Being upside down, the clutch is thus on the passenger side and the motor on the drivers side.

Reactions: sharp
A

akmarcd

Feb 27, 2019
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
I installed the same winch on my 2019 P4. Yes, it does seem backwards as I am used to having the clutch on the right (driver side), motor on the left ( passenger) since most people are right handed. The directions specify the opposite and I also noted the cable feeds off the top of the drum. So what did I do you ask? Installed it according to the directions because that's what my wife would tell me. I had no issues with the the remote direction of the winch and I have used it several times. Also, I doubt if Honda would pay their mechanics to re-spool every winch and you can never get your cable to re-spool as good as the factory does

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
I installed the same winch on my 2019 P4. Yes, it does seem backwards as I am used to having the clutch on the right (driver side), motor on the left ( passenger) since most people are right handed. The directions specify the opposite and I also noted the cable feeds off the top of the drum. So what did I do you ask? Installed it according to the directions because that's what my wife would tell me. I had no issues with the the remote direction of the winch and I have used it several times. Also, I doubt if Honda would pay their mechanics to re-spool every winch and you can never get your cable to re-spool as good as the factory does
Curious as to where you mounted the contactor and how did you route the cables? The box includes about 8' of red and black #6 and only a few feet of yellow/blue. Also curious as to where you positioned the socket for the remote.

A

akmarcd

Feb 27, 2019
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Curious as to where you mounted the contactor and how did you route the cables? The box includes about 8' of red and black #6 and only a few feet of yellow/blue. Also curious as to where you positioned the socket for the remote.
I mounted the contactor where the directions said to which is up high in the front fender well, drivers side. The cable length worked perfectly although access was not superb. I did not want the contactor under the hood area as I had plans for this space, although this would have been an easier location. I did not install the socket in the glove box as indicated in the directions but installed it center of dash above the 12v outlet and the cable length worked great.

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
I mounted the contactor where the directions said to which is up high in the front fender well, drivers side. The cable length worked perfectly although access was not superb. I did not want the contactor under the hood area as I had plans for this space, although this would have been an easier location. I did not install the socket in the glove box as indicated in the directions but installed it center of dash above the 12v outlet and the cable length worked great.
Thanks. My instructions were apparently not as specific as yours but the winch was not specific to the Honda (bought it from Amazon).

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I do apologize to all for my lack of understanding on this issue or even the issue itself but what difference does it make that it is perceived backwards from norm.
At the end of the day it us a 12v motor that is just as effective in either direction and the center line of the drum to the varying extrapolated distance to the cable or rope centerline is the same top or bottom.
So the winch doesn't care.
As far as brakes holding I cannot speak to all but I have had no issues with any we have had to mount in a "Reversed" condition.
Please if I am wrong or missing something educate me.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I do apologize to all for my lack of understanding on this issue or even the issue itself but what difference does it make that it is perceived backwards from norm.
At the end of the day it us a 12v motor that is just as effective in either direction and the center line of the drum to the varying extrapolated distance to the cable or rope centerline is the same top or bottom.
So the winch doesn't care.
As far as brakes holding I cannot speak to all but I have had no issues with any we have had to mount in a "Reversed" condition.
Please if I am wrong or missing something educate me.
not the motor they are worried about its the mount capability with the added distance from the mount it puts more of a bind than running closer to the mount. not much. and wont bother the honda mount for sure. youll break a tire rod winching someone out before youll bend the winch mount

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
not the motor they are worried about its the mount capability with the added distance from the mount it puts more of a bind than running closer to the mount. not much. and wont bother the honda mount for sure. youll break a tire rod winching someone out before youll bend the winch mount

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for helping me to see the concern and not what I perceived as the concern.
I do agree the mount will take well more than some of the other parts.

Reactions: Alan_Vander

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!