P1000 Honda Water Ingestion Fix

H

HondaTech

This was front page in out tech newsletter this month. Seems Honda has realized they have a water ingestion issue. This will supposedly be implemented later in the 2017 P1K production, but can be retro fittted to '16 and early '17 models.
20170515 112103 HDR

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'd say you have a lawsuit there if you wanted to be a d*ck about it. Reimbursement for any monies out of your pocket while dealing with your insurance.
I ain't trying to sue anyone but it does piss me off they discredited anything I had to say. I was well within the "10 inches" of water rule. I got a lot of flack for that.
I'm glad Honda at least figured it out some so others may have better luck

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ain't trying to sue anyone but it does piss me off they discredited anything I had to say. I was well within the "10 inches" of water rule. I got a lot of flack for that.

You have a pretty much open and shut case. I would at least contact them. This is pretty much admission that there is a design defect that is causing problems. You don't have to ask for an exorbitant amount of money, just to have your costs reimbursed and allow your insurance to subrogate their costs.

I think you should do it for two reasons. One, your insurance is out of money for something that Honda screwed up and it is the right thing to do to get them reimbursed. Number two is that maybe it will make Honda do a little better testing before they throw something out there. Especially something so obviously going to be a problem that could have been so simply fixed.

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
This should allay anyone's fears about denial of warranty for adding snorkels. It is obviously a design issue but it really should have been a universal send out to everyone that has a Honda VIN in the range of the old design rather than a customer cost fix.

Now that this is cleared up, I am going to do something different because I don't trust Honda's new design to actually plug up the fender. I bet it is a rubber grommet style gasket which just presses in and will be able to just be knocked out (giving you the same problem).

But at least they are admitting it is a design problem. Maybe the clutches soon?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you have to pay a deductible when you filled your ins claim? Lose any money on the value of your old rig? Lose the money you had tied up in accessories? Hell yes you did!. I ain't much for suing anyone either but they outright called you a liar and then turn around and admit guilt?? Screw that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This should allay anyone's fears about denial of warranty for adding snorkels. It is obviously a design issue but it really should have been a universal send out to everyone that has a Honda VIN in the range of the old design rather than a customer cost fix.

Now that this is cleared up, I am going to do something different because I don't trust Honda's new design to actually plug up the fender. I bet it is a rubber grommet style gasket which just presses in and will be able to just be knocked out (giving you the same problem).

But at least they are admitting it is a design problem. Maybe the clutches soon?
Most have become aware of the issue and at least Honda is being somewhat proactive. We have all brought attention to this and that was needed to get something done. Negatives have to be brought up and talked about. Sometimes we hate admitting there's a problem same with clutches but that's how things get handled
As far as a recall that won't happen as it's fully admitting a problem. The best we could ask for is a service bulletin allowing a fix under manufacturer choice. That would allow them to fix it without the repercussions of anything that's happened.

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Where does the air come in after blocking that? Ps... I accomplished the same thing with a scrape piece of 1/4" rubber mat cut to size and putting the prefilter back in the hole.
Looks like right above the spare battery hole.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!