Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
You have a pretty much open and shut case. I would at least contact them. This is pretty much admission that there is a design defect that is causing problems. You don't have to ask for an exorbitant amount of money, just to have your costs reimbursed and allow your insurance to subrogate their costs.

I think you should do it for two reasons. One, your insurance is out of money for something that Honda screwed up and it is the right thing to do to get them reimbursed. Number two is that maybe it will make Honda do a little better testing before they throw something out there. Especially something so obviously going to be a problem that could have been so simply fixed.

Maybe just show the bulletin to the Insurance company that paid out the money and let lawyers do what lawyers do. An individual doesn't have to get involved. It would be interesting to see the outcome if 2 big companies were arguing over a $9000 repair bill.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I am very disappointed in the release of this and how they are going about this fix! Really it's on the owner to purchase this????? After one of their most loyal customers name was drug through the mud and he was forced to struggle financially because Honda didn't want to acknowledge this, saying the entire time he did something he did not! I believe they base law suits on Defamtion of Character!
Even having people on this very site doing the same!!! Makes me sick to think about! SMH
I say if the little guy doesn't stand up to corporate giants who are too greedy to be responsible it's never going to end! So to all who have been forced to pay for and suffer financially with Hondas design flaw, now admitted, I say it's time to call an attorney and get a legal opinion! And for all those who deserve an apology and will never get it, let me say...I am sorry for the way you were treated!

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I noticed in the first photo the caption says "optional" cover. So guys are going to have to buy something to fix Honda's poor engineering?

I'll stick with my fix, I have about $8 and a little time in it. The white aluminum covers are now black, unless you look they're not noticeableView attachment 43837 View attachment 43838 View attachment 43839 View attachment 43840 .

That looks like a great job. How did you attach the panels to the inner fenders? Push pins? Or did you use adhesive? Looks great man!!

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
J

JTW

I am very disappointed in the release of this and how they are going about this fix! Really it's on the owner to purchase this????? After one of their most loyal customers name was drug through the mud and he was forced to struggle financially because Honda didn't want to acknowledge this, saying the entire time he did something he did not! I believe they base law suits on Defamtion of Character!
Even having people on this very site doing the same!!! Makes me sick to think about! SMH
I say if the little guy doesn't stand up to corporate giants who are too greedy to be responsible it's never going to end! So to all who have been forced to pay for and suffer financially with Hondas design flaw, now admitted, I say it's time to call an attorney and get a legal opinion! And for all those who deserve an apology and will never get it, let me say...I am sorry for the way you were treated!
Bazinga!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe just show the bulletin to the Insurance company that paid out the money and let lawyers do what lawyers do. An individual doesn't have to get involved. It would be interesting to see the outcome if 2 big companies were arguing over a $9000 repair bill.
That's the best idea yet! I'd love to sit back and watch the hungry insurance lawyers go after the stingy Honda lawyers. That'd be an epic battle. CP you should do it. It's not that you're suing someone, youre being morally responsible and bring a mistake to someone's attention.

mbjeepxj

mbjeepxj

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So where does the pre-filter sit with this new "fix". Looks like they blocked the normal spot with some kind of bracing for the "plug"...

20170516 132806 hdr jpg43761

Reactions: Ridem32
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My 2017 appears to have something similar. Is this now standard on '17 models?
Can you post some pics and maybe the last few digits of your VIN and where you bought it?

Might give us an idea of when parts might be available.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Actually after further study, mine is slightly different. I will try to get some pics posted this weekend. Now wondering if mine is the 2017 version fo teh fix or if it is like the 2016 design? Anybody have pictures of the 2016 design to compare?

Reactions: sharp
blackdog2086

blackdog2086

Jul 31, 2015

I completely agree. I've been a Honda guy for over 40 years, but that was due to a proven quality product that held up to whatever you threw at it. The term bulletproof was used a lot describing Honda products, and for good reason. Unfortunately I think those days are beginning to fade away. You can't just buy something with a Honda brand (or anybody elses for that matter) and expect to get a high quality product that can be counted on to work as advertised day in and day out.

I needed a SxS to work around my farm and was ready to buy another when I first saw the pre-release info on the P1K. It looked perfect for my needs and being the Honda loyalist I was, I waited patiently and bought a brand new first year product. First and last time for that. I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out if I ever buy again.

I love my Pioneer and overall have had a positive owners experience with it, but that doesn't excuse the problems small or large that come built into a vehicle nearly the cost of a small car. If a Civic had water ingestion or clutch problems or cooked the passengers on a warm day and they refused to acknowledge and fix the problems it would be all over the news and Honda would be the next VW.

I think we are treated as though we have money to throw away since we can afford to buy "toys" so we can afford to deal with whatever problems crop up out of our own pockets. I personally use my P1K to do substantial work around my farm and I'm guessing it isn't just a plaything for many of the Forum subscribers. I didn't just happen to have $18 K laying around loose in a sock drawer so I figured I might as well go throw it at the Honda dealer.

The only way large corporations begin to see the error of their ways is through the loss of consumer revenue and legal action taken against faulty products. Honda isn't in the business of making cars, powersports, lawnmowers, jets, robots or anything else. They're in the business of making money, the same as all companies hoping to be successful. Companies seem to forget that in order to remain successful you have to actually listen to and take care of your consumers.

Sorry for the long rant, but I can't believe how many of you (CP for sure) were treated by Honda, and after finally admitting some of their problems, still expect us to pay to fix their mistakes.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I completely agree. I've been a Honda guy for over 40 years, but that was due to a proven quality product that held up to whatever you threw at it. The term bulletproof was used a lot describing Honda products, and for good reason. Unfortunately I think those days are beginning to fade away. You can't just buy something with a Honda brand (or anybody elves for that matter) and expect to get a high quality product that can be counted on to work as advertised day in and day out.

I needed a SxS to work around my farm and was ready to buy another when I first saw the pre-release info on the P1K. It looked perfect for my needs and being the Honda loyalist I was, I waited patiently and bought a brand new first year product. First and last time for that. I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out if I ever buy again.

I love my Pioneer and overall have had a positive owners experience with it, but that doesn't excuse the problems small or large that come built into a vehicle nearly the cost of a small car. If a Civic had water ingestion or clutch problems or cooked the passengers on a warm day and they refused to acknowledge and fix the problems it would be all over the news and Honda would be the next VW.

I think we are treated as though we have money to throw away since we can afford to buy "toys" so we can afford to deal with whatever problems crop up out of our own pockets. I personally use my P1K to do substantial work around my farm and I'm guessing it isn't just a plaything for many of the Forum subscribers. I didn't just happen to have $18 K laying around loose in a sock drawer so I figured I might as well go throw it at the Honda dealer.

The only way large corporations begin to see the error of their ways is through the loss of consumer revenue and legal action taken against faulty products. Honda isn't in the business of making cars, powersports, lawnmowers, jets, robots or anything else. They're in the business of making money, the same as all companies hoping to be successful. Companies seem to forget that in order to remain successful you have to actually listen to and take care of your consumers.

Sorry for the long rant, but I can't believe how many of you (CP for sure) were treated by Honda, and after finally admitting some of their problems, still expect us to pay to fix their mistakes.
Well said! Thanks for jumping in! Definitely not easy to say these things about a company we love, but come on!!!! Right Is Right & Wrong Is Wrong! Honda don't be Wrong!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!