Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They also say those chambers smooth out air flow as there can be disturbances in air flow from the valves opening and closing. I'm no professional though, I just looked it up one day and posted on the forum but can't find it now.

I chose to leave mine.

I believe they are called resonate chambers. They also create a slight vacuum when you chop the throttle.... smoothing air flow and engine response.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
pmward

pmward

Jul 28, 2016
Galena, Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I believe they are called resonate chambers. They also create a slight vacuum when you chop the throttle.... smoothing air flow and engine response.
They are called Hemholz Resonators. Many dyno studies (not on Pioneer), some showing intended effect of breathing better, some studies not so much.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And I agree with simple, effective, and reversable methods.

@Delton I also agree with keeping stock filter setup.

However for the same reason you don't store dry goods directly on a concrete floor but up on a palette, I don't believe the intake tube should lay along the bottom of the frame begging to become a water column under tho wrong circumstances. Such as sticks or sharp rocks, it only takes once for a $9000 repair on a $15000 machine.
Totally agree with your reasoning. We got sticks coming through the front footwell. Imagine how easy one would skewer that intake tube.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Totally agree with your reasoning. We got sticks coming through the front footwell. Imagine how easy one would skewer that intake tube.
Thanks, just the way I see it, many of us are spending $1K in full UHMW skids to protect the underbelly from damage. Those parts cost far less than the engine fix. No one I know of yet has had one (intake tube) damaged but when it does happen possibly even unknown to the driver at the time what happens when you do get in a bit of water and get on the gas. It would just siphon it full and quickly with possible catastrophic engine damage.

I don't routinely drive in deep water, but also will cross it slowly up to my headlights if need be. Have not had any issues yet, but if I can spend $30 on tubing and 10 hours of my time to eliminate that possibility that is cheap insurance.

Just like the stealth snorkel now, they mitigate the root splashing and depth quickly and effectively. However these rocks in TN are just begging to cause some carnage. I have had both side sections of my trail armor ripped off in 1400 miles. So I figure it's a matter of time before that intake tube gets pierced, cut, or cracked.

Doing like pictured below but stopping where it comes across the top of the airbox is what I have in mind, no vertical snorkel stack.

20160723 121504

20160723 120041

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, just the way I see it, many of us are spending $1K in full UHMW skids to protect the underbelly from damage. Those parts cost far less than the engine fix. No one I know of yet has had one (intake tube) damaged but when it does happen possibly even unknown to the driver at the time what happens when you do get in a bit of water and get on the gas. It would just siphon it full and quickly with possible catastrophic engine damage.

I don't routinely drive in deep water, but also will cross it slowly up to my headlights if need be. Have not had any issues yet, but if I can spend $30 on tubing and 10 hours of my time to eliminate that possibility that is cheap insurance.

Just like the stealth snorkel now, they mitigate the root splashing and depth quickly and effectively. However these rocks in TN are just begging to cause some carnage. I have had both side sections of my trail armor ripped off in 1400 miles. So I figure it's a matter of time before that intake tube gets pierced, cut, or cracked.

Doing like pictured below but stopping where it comes across the top of the airbox is what I have in mind, no vertical snorkel stack.

View attachment 44553

View attachment 44554

That looks like some kind of popo plumbing. Looks good! Think I will stay stock until HP+clutch requires the motor to breathe better. Don't scuba with mine- just cross in safe places. Worried about my seals not keeping water out because they are hot! Lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That looks like some kind of popo plumbing. Looks good! Think I will stay stock until HP+clutch requires the motor to breathe better. Don't scuba with mine- just cross in safe places. Worried about my seals not keeping water out because they are hot! Lol.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL , next time I ride with you I am so screwing with you putting my hand over that intake.
Not my Ride, pic was posted here by a fella who hasn't logged in for 35 weeks. But I do like the orientation of his modification.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 44553

View attachment 44554
I like that as well. Even better than the one I have now. I'm a big fan of hard piping vs flex hose. May have to make my own version of that one day when I have time.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Ok so the parts are future dated for July 27th. That means they will not accept orders (dealers are not even able to backorder) until after that date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Some of the 2017's arriving at dealers already have this installed as an inline change. I imagine that puts a bit of a hurt on having extras to update earlier production models.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Some of the 2017's arriving at dealers already have this installed as an inline change. I imagine that puts a bit of a hurt on having extras to update earlier production models.
IMG 0256

This was on new le but non le hadnt

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!