P1000 Honda Water Ingestion Fix

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well now I have to try to get my dealer to install this air intake fix! I put a deposit down but I am waiting to finish the deal because the dealer is waiting on the roof, windshield and several other accessories to come in. I hate it when there is a problem and corporate wont fix a very bad issue on early models. I can already hear the salesman saying we can but there will be a charge. Then Ill get pissed and want to go elsewhere and he'll screw me on my 500 deposit.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Well now I have to try to get my dealer to install this air intake fix! I put a deposit down but I am waiting to finish the deal because the dealer is waiting on the roof, windshield and several other accessories to come in. I hate it when there is a problem and corporate wont fix a very bad issue on early models. I can already hear the salesman saying we can but there will be a charge. Then Ill get pissed and want to go elsewhere and he'll screw me on my 500 deposit.
Yup! But it's not a true fix, just makes the condition a little better! Snorkle it and sleep soundly!

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been trying to take in all the info on snokel mods and intake fixes. I am previously a Polaris 900 owner and after tons of research decided to go with the solid reliability of a Honda (I did have a 400 EX back in da day). So I apologize for the ton of questions I may have in the near future when I actually get the Pioneer in my shop. SOOOO does anyone have a minimally invasive intake fixes? I like hondasxs' set up, but I can not find it in the threads again.

Reactions: elkaholic and sharp
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been trying to take in all the info on snokel mods and intake fixes. I am previously a Polaris 900 owner and after tons of research decided to go with the solid reliability of a Honda (I did have a 400 EX back in da day). So I apologize for the ton of questions I may have in the near future when I actually get the Pioneer in my shop. SOOOO does anyone have a minimally invasive intake fixes? I like hondasxs' set up, but I can not find it in the threads again.
Here ya go.
Stealth Snorkel Examples - Honda Pioneer 1000

Reactions: sharp and truc577
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
OK cleaned up thread back to the topic of the P1K it's intake location and options of preventing water ingestion.

Now, many have gone the route of successfully snorkeling starting at the OEM location up front, as discussed in detail here:
Stealth Snorkel Examples - Honda Pioneer 1000

I have looked at this and looked at this, and literal spent dozens of hours thinking about how to resolve the ingestion issue, while not making an obvious snorkel AND getting rid of the ridiculously long intake tubing that goes down along the bottom just begging to store water to begin with. Snorkel or not any water gets in there it will sit in that low tube until it evaporates or get sucked into the intake. This can be from casual riding to getting into the creek that was juuust a bit deeper than anticipated.

As with anything, there is a cause and effect for making changes. I get why Honda designed it this way, first it moves the primary intake away from heat and dust swirling near the engine, as an additional benefit greatly reduces the noise on the intake under hard throttle. But what if we can keep the same intake height or a little higher than OEM, eliminate that long intake tube just begging to hold water at the expense of a little intake noise and maybe more frequent air filter servicing. A picture is worth a thousand words so look and theses and seriously think about why cant you come off the lower right airbox where the tube attaches. I know it's tight in there but I am determined to come up with something.

First a look at the intake overview, imagine yourself trying to breath while running through a 6ft garden hose, Honda mitigates some of the suction by using the dead air chambers in the lower tube.

P1K Intake overview

And a close up view of the engine & Intake from the passenger side arrow noting where the intake attaches to the airbox. remove everything going forward from the arrow.

P1K Intake Detail Right Side

Now a view from the drivers side. How about crossing over just in front of the head below the airbox then up the left side of it. (The path of yellow line) This would get intake away from hot exhaust and maybe get it up to the top of the bed rail behind drivers seat. I don't even intend to get it so deep my butt gets wet while driving so getting it a foot above that should be pretty safe. May put a cleanable foam pre-filter there, this would be in the way for any mid panel etc. and the fit between bed and seat back is tight. With a bit of work I think this is doable. Yes you will get some noise from the intake under throttle, but the rest of the powertrain is making its own noise as well. Possibly even go down across the sub-transmission then up near the drivers side, there is all kinds of space there, the trick is getting back to OEM the elevation at the top of the bed level and how tight everything resides in that area without getting into a bunch of cutting etc.
P1K Intake L side

So any serious thoughts or idea discussion on this, I am determined to effort out a solution on my next machine, likely a 2018 P1K5 LE for the family machine.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thinking about this going back to the racing days of eliminating all this from a TRX250R which also had an incredible long intake tube for what it was.

On the P1K remove the OEM tube, block off and seal that lower right hole, remove the OEM air filter and replace it with one or two K&N or TWINAIR foam filters and ventilate the airbox lid on the front or top. This location is protected from splashing and is about 8" above the seat bottom. It would get dirty and require frequent service but eliminate water sitting in a tube waiting to be sucked in from a straw.

Reactions: pct
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I done the filter out of the top of the lid. Was too loud. I've got pvc that I thought about running up to the roof and back a little to help with the noise. Might try an insulated box around what I have now also. With my cage shoulder bar being straight, it made it easier.

IMG 20161210 211700413

IMG 20170307 202817278

Last edited:
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I done the filter out of the top of the lid. Was too loud. I've got pvc that I thought about running up to the roof and back a little to help with the noise. Might try an insulated box around what I have now also. With may cage shoulder bar being straight, it made it easier.

View attachment 44526
View attachment 44527
Well I just did the eBay snorkel with extended hose and foam filter to roof, but snuff with a much better go at it

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Those "dead air chambers" are actually what are called "tuners" they are "echo chambers" to help mitigate the intake noise coming back up out of the intake manifold. They interfere with the pressure waves coming out of the engine and make it much quieter. Most vehicles have them in their intake ductwork.

bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Snuff did you leave the orginal fillter in there? also did you close off the old intake?

Reactions: pct and sharp
bigdeal

bigdeal

Jan 25, 2016
south ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Capped the bottom inlet and removed the stock filter. Stock filter would not help unless the plug was leaking at bottom.

Thats what i was thinking. I have been wanting to do something like this too! Like that you could just take the whole air filter box out and start new. Just a box or y-pipe to intake?

Reactions: pct
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
First a look at the intake overview, imagine yourself trying to breath while running through a 6ft garden hose, Honda mitigates some of the suction by using the dead air chambers in the lower tube.

But imagine it's a fire hose it'd be a LOT easier to breathe... if it's sized correctly it mitigates the issue of length.

I was cleaning the air filter on my 700 about every 100 miles. I've checked the 1000 and it was slightly discolored after @300.

Location is better, and if y'all didn't drown one after a creek run the last two years I don't see the issue with it being down low.

I still think the @joeymt33 snorkle through the hood is the easiest cleanest cheapest quickest to hide from dealer option out there.

Also has a nice growl to it when you push the go pedal to where it's meant to be.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Other things to consider:

(2) 44mm throttle bodies is 4.71 sq. in.

(1) 2" Pipe Sch 40 = 3.36 sq. in.
(1) 2.5" Pipe Sch 40 = 4.79 sq. in.
(1) 3" Pipe Sch 40 = 5.46 sq. in.

Pretty sure the stock under hood opening is about 6.27 sq. in.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I just did the eBay snorkel with extended hose and foam filter to roof, but snuff with a much better go at it
Heres something to put your mind at ease. Took my cover off after 1800 miles and countless water excursions. Absolutely no sign of water intrusion. Ever. I got pics of all the crap the stock filter stopped in my build thread. I'm sticking with stock filter after seeing how spotless it was on top of the filter cover.
IMG 20170525 140655468 1336x752

Check out the surrounding area with all it's mud and filth. And the showroom new area leading to the throttle bodies.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
But imagine it's a fire hose it'd be a LOT easier to breathe... if it's sized correctly it mitigates the issue of length.

I was cleaning the air filter on my 700 about every 100 miles. I've checked the 1000 and it was slightly discolored after @300.

Location is better, and if y'all didn't drown one after a creek run the last two years I don't see the issue with it being down low.

I still think the @joeymt33 snorkle through the hood is the easiest cleanest cheapest quickest to hide from dealer option out there.

Also has a nice growl to it when you push the go pedal to where it's meant to be.

And I agree with simple, effective, and reversable methods.

@Delton I also agree with keeping stock filter setup.

However for the same reason you don't store dry goods directly on a concrete floor but up on a palette, I don't believe the intake tube should lay along the bottom of the frame begging to become a water column under tho wrong circumstances. Such as sticks or sharp rocks, it only takes once for a $9000 repair on a $15000 machine.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
And I agree with simple, effective, and reversable methods.

@Delton I also agree with keeping stock filter setup.

However for the same reason you don't store dry goods directly on a concrete floor but up on a palette, I don't believe the intake tube should lay along the bottom of the frame begging to become a water column under to wrong circumstances.
1 stick could spell disaster.

Reactions: pct and sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Those "dead air chambers" are actually what are called "tuners" they are "echo chambers" to help mitigate the intake noise coming back up out of the intake manifold. They interfere with the pressure waves coming out of the engine and make it much quieter. Most vehicles have them in their intake ductwork.

They also say those chambers smooth out air flow as there can be disturbances in air flow from the valves opening and closing. I'm no professional though, I just looked it up one day and posted on the forum but can't find it now.

I chose to leave mine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!