P500 Honda Winch (WARN) installation questions

Dubious

Dubious

Oct 30, 2015
I purchased the WARN Winch Kit (WINCH-HL5-KIT) from the local dealer and downloaded the instructions from the web site listed on the piece of paper in one of the boxes. I did not encounter too many difficulties following the instructions. Most of the time was spent gaining access to the battery box so that a hole could be cut into the side. I am sure that there was a better way, but I wanted to follow the instructions.

However, that is not my question. The instructions describe securing the power cables using the supplied "Wiring Harness Bands". This is the fancy words that Honda uses for nylon cable ties. For some reason, the cable ties supplied do not cinch tight as the teeth stop 2" prior to the end of the tie. This leaves the "wiring harness bands" hanging loose around the power cables, except for the few points where I can include part of the chassis into the loop.

This just seems wrong. Without a good reason to leave the power cables loose, I plan to use normal nylon cable ties to bundle with the existing wiring harness.

Reactions: sharp
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome @Dubious . I use a boat load of 8" black zip ties on my machine. Easier to deal with when you go back and add or reroute. I carry a few in the box for 'just in case' too.
I read somewhere that the Honda instructions have you remove the floor boards to route your cables, did you do that?

D

dlarsen111

Apr 4, 2017
Ferron, Utah
Ownership

1. 500
" Winch - 08L71-HL5-A02 " can't find a location to download instructions for a pioneer 500

D

Deleted member 3748

We can definitely help you out here @dlarsen111 Where did you purchase your winch?

D

dlarsen111

Apr 4, 2017
Ferron, Utah
Ownership

1. 500
" Winch - 08L71-HL5-A02 " can't find a location to download instructions for a pioneer 500
thx for the help, apparantly this is for the 08L75- HL5-A01, but it is similar, bought from honda shop 2 years ago, couldn't find instructions. Thanks for your help!

Dubious

Dubious

Oct 30, 2015
Welcome @Dubious . I use a boat load of 8" black zip ties on my machine. Easier to deal with when you go back and add or reroute. I carry a few in the box for 'just in case' too.
I read somewhere that the Honda instructions have you remove the floor boards to route your cables, did you do that?

The instructions have you remove quite a few things; rear fender/carrier/center cover as an assembly; air cleaner housing; battery cover, battery and battery box; seat (cushion and backrest); seat bottom cover (right and left); seat rear cover; rear floor cover; rear floor plate; and front floor plate. For this, the instructions refer you the service manual. Not very helpful if you don't have the service manual.

I chose not to remove the seat rear cover; rear floor cover; and rear floor plate, as I could access most of the area needed by only removing the front floor plate. But not having the service manual, I did not realize that the emergency break switch cable was clipped to the front floor plate. As a result, I damaged the switch during removal. I would have seen this if I had fully removed the seat covers.

I suppose I could have accessed the area from underneath if I had removed the skid plates. But my plates are a bit bent and I wasn't sure how hard it would be to work with them.

D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, you don't need to remove most of those things. I ran a fish tape down my frame rail and pulled my cables through.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I've installed probably 20 or more of them, and I never remove the rear floor cover or floor plates. I run it up on ramps and remove the skid plate which allows all the access needed to route the cables.
Not sure why they have never figured out the cable ties they send are way to long and don't cinch down tight. I just use standard cable ties.

T

team-longtrack

Mar 12, 2017
ohio
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey guys . New member here just put the honda warn winch on my p1k-5. Put everything back together..... and I forgot to plug the winch remote sub harness into the pioneers winch sub harness. ( the black 2 pin) where is the pioneer harness plug located? Hopefully I can get to it without pulling the front fenders off again??

Dang just realized this is the 500 forum sorry

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
thx for the help, apparantly this is for the 08L75- HL5-A01, but it is similar, bought from honda shop 2 years ago, couldn't find instructions. Thanks for your help!
Honda dont give instructions. ..
you have to find them onlie

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!