Talon Hondas do break

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We have had our TalonR less than two weeks it's a 2020. First weekend was at Stoney Lonesome ran fine we both had fun/new experience gathered a total of 7.5 hours on the new Talon. Yesterday we decided to ride the granddaughter around the yard/field. We decided to visit my brother a few miles down the road so we left. We hadn't made a mile yet I noticed the third temp dot come on, this was a first. I decided to turn around but before we could get home the fourth dot illuminated then the overtemp light came on. We were only about 1/4 mile from home so I just ran home picked up the truck and trailer.

Took the Talon to the dealer they said this is the first time a Talon has had happen and it may be 2 1/2 weeks before they can get to it. That means they will have it longer than I have!

Reactions: VaHillbilly
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have had our TalonR less than two weeks it's a 2020. First weekend was at Stoney Lonesome ran fine we both had fun/new experience gathered a total of 7.5 hours on the new Talon. Yesterday we decided to ride the granddaughter around the yard/field. We decided to visit my brother a few miles down the road so we left. We hadn't made a mile yet I noticed the third temp dot come on, this was a first. I decided to turn around but before we could get home the fourth dot illuminated then the overtemp light came on. We were only about 1/4 mile from home so I just ran home picked up the truck and trailer.

Took the Talon to the dealer they said this is the first time a Talon has had happen and it may be 2 1/2 weeks before they can get to it. That means they will have it longer than I have!
That’s no good! I hope it’s a quick fix. Anything that’s mass produced can have issues unfortunately.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Humm.
Interesting. Overheating does not seem to be common with the Talons.

I would try a dozen things before hand but I understand letting the dealer work on it.

The Pioneers are notorious for air bubble pockets in the motor. Being the same design I would assume the Talon would be too. A good burp fixes most issues.

Second.
Eirler Talons had the fan mis-wired.

Also. Pioneer units have been received with the fan module not plugged in all the way.

All things I would check before I let them keep it for 5 weeks. Lol.
2 weeks holding + 3 weeks to fix.

Report back.
I'm sure it's simple.

Last edited:

1HasBeen

Oct 20, 2019
Wickenburg, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Was the fan running? Coolant in burp bottle? Both hoses hot at radiator? Could be as mentioned above, or simple as a stuck thermostat, or a false overheat indication from a flaky sensor.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never read anywhere about it being cleaned? Doesn't take much mud to do it.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Clean the radiator real good.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We vets don't get veterans day off at work a few of us were going to play hooky and go for a ride Monday, now it's work instead.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How were y’all riding? We were taking it somewhat easy at Stony and it didn’t seem to have a problem that day.

H

HondaTech

How were y’all riding? We were taking it somewhat easy at Stony and it didn’t seem to have a problem that day.

My boss has beat the crap out of his since day 1 and it's never been above 2 bars on the gauge.

Radiator was clean, we don't ride in mud pits.

You don't have to run in mud to clog a radiator, I've seen dust fro running behind others turn into mud once water splashes the radiator and causes overheating on Pioneers.

Not saying it's your issue.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Was a little sloppy at stony last weekend. I would check the radiator and bleed. If u bleed, park uphill and let it run for 15-20 min with the radiator cap off. if it starts spitting fluid out, wait tills its over and add. if its low it will spit out a bunch getting air out.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We weren't really riding it hard, just running at about 50 mph when we noticed the third bar/dot whatever come up. Just for everyones information we hosed the machine down when we arrived home, easier to do on the trailer.

We will wait and see what the dealer said. Machine started fine after it cooled off. Wife and I were talking last night and we have a thought. Only thing that was alarming to me was how fast it happened.

Anyway your right in the fact we didn't upshot real hard weren't going to until after first oil change, never did ring the rev limiter only manuel shifting done was in auto while going up some of the hills we drove up, I liked the fact that you can select a lower gear even when in auto.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We weren't really riding it hard, just running at about 50 mph when we noticed the third bar/dot whatever come up. Just for everyones information we hosed the machine down when we arrived home, easier to do on the trailer.

We will wait and see what the dealer said. Machine started fine after it cooled off. Wife and I were talking last night and we have a thought. Only thing that was alarming to me was how fast it happened.

Anyway your right in the fact we didn't upshot real hard weren't going to until after first oil change, never did ring the rev limiter only manuel shifting done was in auto while going up some of the hills we drove up, I liked the fact that you can select a lower gear even when in auto.

gotcha, I didn’t figure it was mud we didn’t go through any mud other than just the layer of it that was everywhere due to all the rain and that was really just on the sides and fenders. The front was fairly clean from what I remember.

Yall aren’t mud lovers and based where you’re located there aren’t a lot of hills to climb, or places to slip the clutch, so if you were running at 50mph it was probably more of a constant load.

I’d try “burping” the cooling system, hasn’t been a thing on the Talon but couldn’t hurt to try before you drop it off at dealer for weeks.

That’d be my SWAG based off what I know.

D

Diegokid

Sep 29, 2019
nowheresville
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We picked the Talon up Thursday 15 Nov from the dealer. They said there wasn't anything wrong. It seems to be running ok I'll take it out for a run this weekend. For now the granddaughter and I have been driving around the field and a small trail I made with the tractor.

Time will tell, I did notice the squeak from the rear end we heard the weekend at Stoney, sounds like a small rock on the disc, something else I'll look at this weekend I'll put it on the lift so I can jack up the entire rear and remove tires.

Anyway wish us luck, wife now wants one we can load the grandkids in and take them too, I like the pioneer can use it for work, she likes the new orange one!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We picked the Talon up Thursday 15 Nov from the dealer. They said there wasn't anything wrong. It seems to be running ok I'll take it out for a run this weekend. For now the granddaughter and I have been driving around the field and a small trail I made with the tractor.

Time will tell, I did notice the squeak from the rear end we heard the weekend at Stoney, sounds like a small rock on the disc, something else I'll look at this weekend I'll put it on the lift so I can jack up the entire rear and remove tires.

Anyway wish us luck, wife now wants one we can load the grandkids in and take them too, I like the pioneer can use it for work, she likes the new orange one!
HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!