Talon Hood pops up while driving

bigblueaz

bigblueaz

Apr 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
So while on my last break in run I sped it up a bit.

While going around 40mph on a slightly bumpy road the front of the hood popped up out of those rubber grommets twice. The hood wouldn’t come off cuz the latches hold it. But i had to stop and push it back down. Annoying and certainly an flaw

Anyone else have this issue?

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
I would guess you didn't have the two tabs on very front inserted into the hood on front. If you have it installed in those front two tabs (if they are not broke) and the two release knobs locked down, it is not popping up. Also, check that your rubber grommets in the 4 push pin areas for hood are not deformed or missing.

bigblueaz

bigblueaz

Apr 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks Talonpalooza...

The first time it did it the wind got under it and rear popped out too. I pushed them all down and could feel them set into the rubber grommets. They really only have an in or out position. The 2nd time just the front came out, but I stopped fast because i knew the rear would pop out. I pushed them in again. The rest of the ride was slower. I’ll inspect it. I can see maybe the first time if it loosened while we were on our long slow ride or one of my friends checking it out didn’t seat it all the way. But not the second time. It pushed them in all the way.

Very doubtful all grommets would be deformed

Hopefully i see something it there that somehow stopped them from seating all the way. Cant imagine what

Maybe someone else will experience this so im not the only one. Or Im just special :)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Your not latching the front tabs. Take a look at it and you will see them. They slide from the front back and hook the front down. Once you do this there is no way the front can popup without pulling out of the push tabs first.

That should fix your issue if there not broke already.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Under the hood here.
Its like a J hook. You must hook them before pushing down the push tabs. Da39a89cc53c9cc7727b75fb942bb3d0

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wrighteous

wrighteous

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2014
better make sure its on those front tabs mine blew off over the fence 20 ft in neighbors field at 50 mph
wasnt my fault tho i wasnt the one messing with the hood!

bigblueaz

bigblueaz

Apr 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank Hondasxs, that was it. I feel dumb, glad to hear someone else has done this. I even rotated the rubber grommets since they are oblong to the "tighter" direction but the hood still felt loose. Like wrighteous said tho, not my fault, I did not open the hood, it was some folks at camp checking it out...BUT I did not catch it nor did I know.

So is there a DUMBA$$ of the month thread? I get this month :)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank Hondasxs, that was it. I feel dumb, glad to hear someone else has done this. I even rotated the rubber grommets since they are oblong to the "tighter" direction but the hood still felt loose. Like wrighteous said tho, not my fault, I did not open the hood, it was some folks at camp checking it out...BUT I did not catch it nor did I know.

So is there a DUMBA$$ of the month thread? I get this month :)
Haha

M

mikeherber

Oct 13, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. Other Brand
my hood flys completly of at higher speeds no matter how I turn the grommets flew off all three times out now with 33 miles on it

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
my hood flys completly of at higher speeds no matter how I turn the grommets flew off all three times out now with 33 miles on it
Make sure you are hooking the front hooks. If you do this it will not come off.

Welcome to the club BTW.
I know you're going to go look at it. can you snap a picture for this post.
Flip the hood over and look at the front underside, There are 2 hooks that must latch.

Talonpalooza

Talonpalooza

Feb 25, 2019
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X
If hood is properly installed it will NOT fly off. If two front hooks properly seated, 4 grommet tabs connected and the latches locked down correctly, the roof is NOT flying off. I have 400 miles on my machine with 70+mph and rough terrain and never had an issue...However, if one is not cognoscente of making sure all points are connected it will fly off. If you read above, another poster found out the same way.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks Talonpalooza...

The first time it did it the wind got under it and rear popped out too. I pushed them all down and could feel them set into the rubber grommets. They really only have an in or out position. The 2nd time just the front came out, but I stopped fast because i knew the rear would pop out. I pushed them in again. The rest of the ride was slower. I’ll inspect it. I can see maybe the first time if it loosened while we were on our long slow ride or one of my friends checking it out didn’t seat it all the way. But not the second time. It pushed them in all the way.

Very doubtful all grommets would be deformed

Hopefully i see something it there that somehow stopped them from seating all the way. Cant imagine what

Maybe someone else will experience this so im not the only one. Or Im just special :)

Your not special. HaHa I bought a talon x yesterday. Took it out today. Had the same problem. My buddy saw the two tabs. Problem solved. I had a pioneer 1000 EPS 3p. Traded it on the Talon. Absolutely love the Talon, much better trail machine than the Pioneer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!