Stalling up hill pulling out

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all,

So fresh turbo install this week, Kraftwerks turbo kit on my 1000x4. I got two different maps from the tuner, both show the same issues (though 2nd map much better overall but still issue hasn't changed). I'm running 32" tires, and wondering if this is tied into the issue. When at the bottom of my driveway pulling out, going uphill, between 1500 and 2000 RPM it spits and sputters and stalls out. Takes me multiple tries to get up the driveway. This doesn't happen going downhill or on the flat surface. She hauls ass on flats and elsewhere, but try and pull out on a hill and she chokes (only up hill).

Any ideas? Is this something to do with the clutch relearn? I never performed this step before, my initial thought it was fuel related but that makes no sense since it runs fine down hill and on flats.

I'm stumped, awaiting a reply from the tuner. Thanks in advance!

I'm wondering with the new map if I need to do something with the clutch

Edit: could it be a dirty fuel filter or pump? Not even sure if these have a fuel filter that's able to be changed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Hey all,

So fresh turbo install this week, Kraftwerks turbo kit on my 1000x4. I got two different maps from the tuner, both show the same issues (though 2nd map much better overall but still issue hasn't changed). I'm running 32" tires, and wondering if this is tied into the issue. When at the bottom of my driveway pulling out, going uphill, between 1500 and 2000 RPM it spits and sputters and stalls out. Takes me multiple tries to get up the driveway. This doesn't happen going downhill or on the flat surface. She hauls ass on flats and elsewhere, but try and pull out on a hill and she chokes (only up hill).

Any ideas? Is this something to do with the clutch relearn? I never performed this step before, my initial thought it was fuel related but that makes no sense since it runs fine down hill and on flats.

I'm stumped, awaiting a reply from the tuner. Thanks in advance!

I'm wondering with the new map if I need to do something with the clutch

Edit: could it be a dirty fuel filter or pump? Not even sure if these have a fuel filter that's able to be changed.

Pulling uphill is putting the machine under more of a load then flat or downhill. Either the tune isn't happy or it could be a fuel supply issue. I doubt you've got a dirty filter, Hondabob has over 30k miles without changing his.

Can this be replicated by foot braking the machine and loading it up?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Pulling uphill is putting the machine under more of a load then flat or downhill. Either the tune isn't happy or it could be a fuel supply issue. I doubt you've got a dirty filter, Hondabob has over 30k miles without changing his.

Thanks for the reply, and great idea. I'll give this a try tomorrow morning and report back.

I did change injectors, and had the throttle body open so it's definitely possible I have a clog or some dirt got into the fuel system hence my concern with the fuel pump etc.

I'm betting it's more tune related though, hope so at least. I sent logs to my tuner so we'll see what he has to say tomorrow too. Thanks!

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4

So it does the same thing under load, however not sure if the machine with 32s would do the same thing with the stock tune. Waiting to hear from the tuner today.

Reactions: Buggyman
H

HondaTech

So it does the same thing under load, however not sure if the machine with 32s would do the same thing with the stock tune. Waiting to hear from the tuner today.

That's what i kinda figured, driving uphill is putting load on the engine and its causing issues. Hopefully you get it figured out.

Reactions: Buggyman
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That's what i kinda figured, driving uphill is putting load on the engine and its causing issues. Hopefully you get it figured out.
Thanks man, appreciate the help! I'll let you know how it turns out.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!