P500 how are you attaching homemade cargoboxes to the rack?

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
How are you attaching homemade cargo boxes to the rack? I'm designing my box and wondering what't the best method is with what's commonly available at the hardware store.

I was thinking covering all the tubes with pipe insulation first, then clamping my box down with a bunch of "U" pipe fittings... but that will be a PITA to do and I'm wondering if there's a better method?

C

Chooglin

Just drill 4 holes thru the wrack and use carriage bolts to secure it , that's what I used on mine !
20150926 160422

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: monaco
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
That's not a bad idea, but i'd rather not weaken the rack or make a new spot to rust out

Reactions: rocmar
D

Deleted member 3748

I did u-bolts with the threaded ends sticking into the box. It was the easiest way to tighten them. Then I put a blanket in the bottom of the box to cover up all the pokey parts.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I just used the bigger high strength tie wraps to hold my plywood platform on. Then screw everything to the plywood. I've put 7,000 miles trailering the machine and the plywood is still there :D

Reactions: monaco and rocmar
advertisement
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I just used the bigger high strength tie wraps to hold my plywood platform on. Then screw everything to the plywood. I've put 7,000 miles trailering the machine and the plywood is still there :D

the simple solutions are the best!

sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
I made a rack with 3/4 cabinet grade plywood, some I had left over from a remodel. I cut pieces out that fit down into the spaces in the rack. I glued these to the bottom of the piece I used to cover the rack. I then bored 4 holes through the flat parts of the rack and bolted the plywood to the rack with carriage bolts, with big wingnuts on the bottom. I also added 2 inch aluminum angle iron on the edges of the platform three sides, with holes drilled in up side of the angle every 4 inches for tiedowns and bungee cords. I covered all of the plywood, top and bottom, before installing it with Rhino liner. It's held up well for almost 2 1/2 years now.
I also added two 5/4X6 boards to the back of the cab with u-bolts around the cab frame to make a front for the deck.

2 500c zps0lijvagz
IMG 1629 zpsnhmysmbc

IMG 1627 zps2fpjkxn7

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I made a rack with 3/4 cabinet grade plywood, some I had left over from a remodel. I cut pieces out that fit down into the spaces in the rack. I glued these to the bottom of the piece I used to cover the rack. I then bored 4 holes through the flat parts of the rack and bolted the plywood to the rack with carriage bolts, with big wingnuts on the bottom. I also added 2 inch aluminum angle iron on the edges of the platform three sides, with holes drilled in up side of the angle every 4 inches for tiedowns and bungee cords. I covered all of the plywood, top and bottom, before installing it with Rhino liner. It's held up well for almost 2 1/2 years now.
I also added two 5/4X6 boards to the back of the cab with u-bolts around the cab frame to make a front for the deck.

View attachment 27937
View attachment 27938

View attachment 27939

Added 3/4" pressure treated to a trailer bed once with carriage bolts. Years later, all rusty, the carriage bolts would just spin in the plywood and no way to get a bite on them. Had to cut them off from underneath. Galvanized or stainless would've helped.

Reactions: JTW and monaco
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Added 3/4" pressure treated to a trailer bed once with carriage bolts. Years later, all rusty, the carriage bolts would just spin in the plywood and no way to get a bite on them. Had to cut them off from underneath. Galvanized or stainless would've helped.

Good advice...

Reactions: trigger and JTW
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I ended up going with the carriage bolt solution... I'll post pics when I get it painted and put back on

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Used pull/toggle latches for easy on/off.

IMG 3586

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500

Like @oldfortyfive, I've used nylon-ties for years holding boxes, crates and platforms on my ATVs. Decided to do the same with the P5.

34432 ee52e9fa3d718ee9c8592358e7a6126f Since I'm not a metal worker, I made the box out of 3/4" plywood on the base and 1/2" sides. The aluminum box is screwed into the plywood.

34434 ebecba3eea7d1f718707d61748546c0e I ny-tied the box to the rack in 8 places. I like using the nylon-ties because I can remove the box in a minute if I need to get under it.

On one or two occasions, I have had the nylon-ties break after major abuse. I can tell when a tie has broken, as the box gets alittle loose. I've never 'lost' a box. To counter this, I sometimes use heavier ties. For now, I'm using inexpensive 6" ties, doubled up. I don't see 16 of them breaking. I prefer not to drill through that beautiful Honda rack.

PS: I really like the idea of putting on DIY cargo trays. Everyone's needs are different and you can make a rack that answers your specific needs. PLUS, when your needs change, you change out the box. My rack cost about $7.
Al

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!