P500 how are you attaching homemade cargoboxes to the rack?

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I used a Yamaha golf cart bed and put foam weather-stripping on the bottom where it hit the rack and then used short pieces of metal under the rack with holes drilled in them with bolts down through bed. I put foam weather stripping on the metal strips and put bolts down through bed and through the metal strips and tightened them up. I then coated bolt heads with bed liner to match coating on bed.

No holes in factory rack and with the foam on the bed and the metal strips it prevents scratching the rack, deadens vibrations, and keeps it from sliding. Could take bed off and rack would look brand new. Just a different take on a U bolt.

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'd wrap the rack with pipe wrap, weather strip, or thin rubber mat, between the rack, and box, then use rubber coated u-bolts to attach it to the rack. Cut off the excess bolts.

IMG 0748

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
All good options on padding to protect frame, used sticky wide weather striping. Looking at adding strap hinges to box for dumping. By the way, the HVAC type drip pan liner is working good with chainsaw in back.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmmmmmm. I think I'm liking this idea!

An improvement over this:
You ain't no poser.... LMAO. Wow that trailer is tiny!

GaryGrant

GaryGrant

Sep 3, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Ownership

1. 500
I used a Yamaha golf cart bed and put foam weather-stripping on the bottom where it hit the rack and then used short pieces of metal under the rack with holes drilled in them with bolts down through bed. I put foam weather stripping on the metal strips and put bolts down through bed and through the metal strips and tightened them up. I then coated bolt heads with bed liner to match coating on bed.

No holes in factory rack and with the foam on the bed and the metal strips it prevents scratching the rack, deadens vibrations, and keeps it from sliding. Could take bed off and rack would look brand new. Just a different take on a U bolt.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
How are you attaching homemade cargo boxes to the rack? I'm designing my box and wondering what't the best method is with what's commonly available at the hardware store.

I was thinking covering all the tubes with pipe insulation first, then clamping my box down with a bunch of "U" pipe fittings... but that will be a PITA to do and I'm wondering if there's a better method?
I used 1/4 x 1.25" self tapping screws after applying 3M trim adhesive tape to the entire top of the metal rack to avoid noise and rattles. Ran the screws down the two wide flats of the OEM rack.

Reactions: trigger
wyliechief

wyliechief

Dec 29, 2014
Rosamond, CA
I have a large DeeZee box on the back that I use U-bolts dipped in rubber coat to attach to the rack. The rubber coats prevents the U-bolts from scratching up the rack.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I used 1/4 x 1.25" self tapping screws after applying 3M trim adhesive tape to the entire top of the metal rack to avoid noise and rattles. Ran the screws down the two wide flats of the OEM rack.

I remember asking you how you attached yours way back when I was building mine. I used self tappers in the middle but bolts and washers in front and rear. Four 3/8" bolts and two self tappers total through the flats, it ain't movin'.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!