P500 How Come?

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I have been almost ready to disconnect my anti-sway bar on my 500. Been reading about folks that have "tipped" their machines on their sides, seeming blaming the lack of the anti-sway bar. However I don't read much about folks who own the anti-sway-bar-less 520s commenting on the same issue. Do folks who own the 520s have stability issues or are the 520s somehow made with a better suspension that keeps them upright? Why didn't Honda add anti-sway bars to the 520s?

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
My opinion: remove it.
Much more fun without it, and not tippier, IMO. Just don't take sharp corners at higher speeds.
My 520 feels more rigid than my 500; wish the 520 had the bar so I could take it off!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have been almost ready to disconnect my anti-sway bar on my 500. Been reading about folks that have "tipped" their machines on their sides, seeming blaming the lack of the anti-sway bar. However I don't read much about folks who own the anti-sway-bar-less 520s commenting on the same issue. Do folks who own the 520s have stability issues or are the 520s somehow made with a better suspension that keeps them upright? Why didn't Honda add anti-sway bars to the 520s?
I think most people do remove theirs for a better ride. I have not removed mine because of the concerns of the articulations on the down hill side and I have had my 500 for almost 8 years.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
This was a discussion long ago on here and I was adamant about keeping mine hooked up. Figured if Honda put it on there, they had good reason. Even after dozens of members had disconnected theirs, I remained steadfast. Finally decided to try it and just disconnected and zip tied it bc I was sure I'd be hooking it back up. Articulation is much better without it and it's actually less tippy without having the rear end tied together. Like Futzin said, you'll get a little more body roll when cornering but I see it as a benefit. You'll feel it rolling before you actually go over as opposed to feeling nothing and then being on your side. After riding without it hooked up for a while I decided to just remove it all together. You can do the same, just unbolt it and zip tie the ends to try it out. But rest assured, you won't go back. 👍

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
This was a discussion long ago on here and I was adamant about keeping mine hooked up. Figured if Honda put it on there, they had good reason. Even after dozens of members had disconnected theirs, I remained steadfast. Finally decided to try it and just disconnected and zip tied it bc I was sure I'd be hooking it back up. Articulation is much better without it and it's actually less tippy without having the rear end tied together. Like Futzin said, you'll get a little more body roll when cornering but I see it as a benefit. You'll feel it rolling before you actually go over as opposed to feeling nothing and then being on your side. After riding without it hooked up for a while I decided to just remove it all together. You can do the same, just unbolt it and zip tie the ends to try it out. But rest assured, you won't go back. 👍
☝️☝️☝️☝️THIS☝️☝️☝️☝️

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
My opinion: remove it.
Much more fun without it, and not tippier, IMO. Just don't take sharp corners at higher speeds.
My 520 feels more rigid than my 500; wish the 520 had the bar so I could take it off!
520, eh?

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Basically what Trigger said. My add is that when I took mine off my P500 I immediately noticed that every 1-inch or larger bump/rut/hole you hit with the rear suspension was not directly transmitted as an ubrupt slam to the chassis and directly to your butt in the seat. I found the removal greatly improves the "feel" of the ride. Also, Honda has the spring rates high enough on these machines that the suspension does a great job of acting as anti-roll.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
What Mike said - I guess that is what I am basically asking in this post.
Iffn yer backin' 'er in to the turns, leave the SB connected, iffn ya want some articulation, unhook it; depends on your specific riding. I bought a pair of quick disconnect SB links for the Talon - here in the rocky high country, they're unhooked. Out in the much faster desert, they're hooked up.

It's a free experiment, try it, make the call that's right for you. 😎

Physics - a SB connects both sides of the suspension, both spring rate and damping. Hooked up you're stiffer, unhooked yer softer. And I ain't talkin' 'bout 'that'. :p

Idahotruckman

Idahotruckman

Feb 15, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks to all who responded. Viewing this post and past ones, as well as having a painful and twisted, and out of place vertebrae has convinced me to try disconnecting the bar.
My 700 Grizzly has IRS and no sway bar and I can powerslide through corners all day long. It has a cushy ride but handles well. I have to remind myself that the the P5 is a different machine with a different purpose and capabilites. Thanks again, fellas.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I do not know the actual reason for it - maybe Honda Tech can chime in or one of the other members that has "in's" at Honda - but my guess on why the P520 does not come with a sway bar and the P500 still does I believe is simple economics. Delete the sway bar on the P520 because Honda has data showing that the P500 does fine, then increase the rear spring rates a little more since the P520 has the actual bed and people may over-load it more than a rack on a P500. So off-set the cost of the of the bed - omit a piece to keep the profit margin.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I plan on overloading my P520 bed this weekend with bags of cement. It happens, we all do it.

I suspect that we all have speculation on why it was omitted on the 520, but kept on the 500. Short of hearing from an engineer who worked on the project, we may never really know why.

I'm just happy I didn't have to deal with it when I did all the work on my p520.

Rob

Reactions: Rdrcr and Jerryg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!