P500 How Does the Hardtop Travel

G

gmcbob

Jul 28, 2017
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my P500 for over a week; most of the Honda accessories purchased in the deal have been hung. Have logged a couple of miles around our small acreage and am excited about my new Honda. Now preparing for my first road trip and wondering how the partial windshield and hard top travel? Hopefully, they don't have to be removed and stowed! That would not only be a PIA but don't know where I would pack the hard top. What about a ratchet strap across the top for extra support? Is that even needed? The P500 will be in the pickup bed. Thanks!

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I've been thinking of getting a half windshield so I'm curious too. Full windshield and roof travel well, no issues.

Reactions: rocmar
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome, hard top is fine, I ran 80 on way back from RRB for 5 hours I would think the half would be ok too but id wait to hear from someone with one

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
They don't travel very well, they are always asking "Are we there yet?" Just messing with you, I have never had any issues with my Honda Top nor windshield at highway speeds but my windshield is the full one so I would not think the half will have an issue.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have trailered my 1000 with just the half shield with no issues.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
They don't travel very well, they are always asking "Are we there yet?" Just messing with you, I have never had any issues with my Honda Top nor windshield at highway speeds but my windshield is the full one so I would not think the half will have an issue.
Love that first sentence "Are we there yet?" :D

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Travel with my 3 pc windshield open and never had a problem . No need for me to go far so the most it's been is about 50 miles at hwy speed but no issues .

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I run both the Honda half shield and hard top, I've trailered it at 80 mph for 1 1/2 hours each way with no problems. I'd just make sure it's all clamped proper if I didn't install it myself.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
No problem here with OEM hardtop and rear panel and full windshield, but I do keep the windshield closed tight for extra measure so that rubber sides don't blow off.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've trailered my P1000-3 with Hard full windshield, Full hard top and Hard back window, (all Honda) at speeds up to 80 MPH for the 2 hour drive to the dealer and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: rocmar and trigger
advertisement
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I have the OEM hardtop, the OEM wind deflector and a 1/2 windshield that I made myself. I've trailered the P5 and it's ridden in the box of my truck. Like other posters have said, never a problem. When it's in the truck box... it's pretty high and fully exposed. No prob at all...

G

gmcbob

Jul 28, 2017
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500

Hundreds of comedians looking for work and I gotta deal with you! But, you crack me up, Alan!

Thanks everyone for your information! The P500 is loaded and ready to go west to the mountains of Colorado. I'll let you know how the hang-on parts travel.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hundreds of comedians looking for work and I gotta deal with you! But, you crack me up, Alan!

Thanks everyone for your information! The P500 is loaded and ready to go west to the mountains of Colorado. I'll let you know how the hang-on parts travel.
There are not hundreds of comedians looking for work gmcbob, they are gainfully employed in Washington DC. Where are you heading to in Colorado?

Reactions: trigger and Mudder
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Let us know what route you'll be taking.

(so we can follow along and pick up the pieces!)

Reactions: HUCK
G

gmcbob

Jul 28, 2017
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
There are not hundreds of comedians looking for work gmcbob, they are gainfully employed in Washington DC. Where are you heading to in Colorado?
Alan, we are near Buena Vista at Fourmile. Easy trails as I get used to the P500 and my wife experiences ATV travel. After the first 15 miles, I'm lovin the 500 and my wife is still speaking to me. Life is good!

As others have said, we had no issues with the wind screen nor the hardtop on the drive out. Got to put the phone up now and go ride!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Alan, we are near Buena Vista at Fourmile. Easy trails as I get used to the P500 and my wife experiences ATV travel. After the first 15 miles, I'm lovin the 500 and my wife is still speaking to me. Life is good!

As others have said, we had no issues with the wind screen nor the hardtop on the drive out. Got to put the phone up now and go ride!
Four Mile area is a good place to get started and it is important to keep the spousal unit happy getting used to the new ride. Do you plan on the Mt. Antero ride? Really pretty and not hard.

G

gmcbob

Jul 28, 2017
Kansas
Ownership

1. 500
Four Mile area is a good place to get started and it is important to keep the spousal unit happy getting used to the new ride. Do you plan on the Mt. Antero ride? Really pretty and not hard.

I've done Antero 2 or 3 times on a Kawasaki 360 Prairie. Beautiful scenery and I love the high Alpine environment but my wife would not enjoy those miles of rocks! My buddies and I tried out the Grand Mesa last fall and enjoyed that except for all the Pine Beetle kill.

99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
I tow mine about 800 miles a year (75 to 80 mph) with the buggy forward on an open trailer-never had a problem with the factory roof or my home made half windshield. Do not back your machine on an open trailer though..A friend of mine lost the vertical part of his seat. The wind took it while driving south on I-75.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!