P1000m5 How many amps can we draw continuously?

CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A bit off topic, but electrical system related. I was doing my research looking at what kind of winch I want to go with. All of the usual suspects have an enormous draw at full load. I am completely aware this is not a continuous draw. But if you are in a tough spot, at the full load line speeds they report, I could see there being at least 5 minutes of winch time. With the puny batteries these have and the stated 600W alternator output, can I really only run my winch for a minute or 2 at a time at or near full load? That doesn't seem right - actually I feel a little foolish even typing it. What do folks actually running this setup have to say? Seems like I am missing something here, but I can't put my finger on it... Or is a second battery setup in my future, even with a fairly mild bundle of other accessories?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
A bit off topic, but electrical system related. I was doing my research looking at what kind of winch I want to go with. All of the usual suspects have an enormous draw at full load. I am completely aware this is not a continuous draw. But if you are in a tough spot, at the full load line speeds they report, I could see there being at least 5 minutes of winch time. With the puny batteries these have and the stated 600W alternator output, can I really only run my winch for a minute or 2 at a time at or near full load? That doesn't seem right - actually I feel a little foolish even typing it. What do folks actually running this setup have to say? Seems like I am missing something here, but I can't put my finger on it... Or is a second battery setup in my future, even with a fairly mild bundle of other accessories?
I think you have an excellent grasp of the situation. YES! full load amps on a 4500 lb winch will draw your battery down. Keep the vehicle running and you can run the winch twice as long. Ultimately, the dual battery set-up is the best. That way if you run the battery too low your cranking battery is still charged.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think you have an excellent grasp of the situation. YES! full load amps on a 4500 lb winch will draw your battery down. Keep the vehicle running and you can run the winch twice as long. Ultimately, the dual battery set-up is the best. That way if you run the battery too low your cranking battery is still charged.
This guy is right. I would also add that I have very rarely just winched at full load. With a machine weighing in at 1500 lbs you've got a long way to go to be at full load/amp draw.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This guy is right. I would also add that I have very rarely just winched at full load. With a machine weighing in at 1500 lbs you've got a long way to go to be at full load/amp draw.
1700 something wet plus in my case at rrb, 200# gear (beverage cooler and something else.. whatever lol), 200# mud, could have 400# passengers and 200# accessories, winch, tires, bumper, lights etc... 2700#.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
1700 something wet plus in my case at rrb, 200# gear (beverage cooler and something else.. whatever lol), 200# mud, could have 400# passengers and 200# accessories, winch, tires, bumper, lights etc... 2700#.
Didn't even account for myself and a front passenger. Could be another 400#. 3100#

Reactions: Koda
CMH

CMH

May 17, 2017
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been stuck enough in a 5,000lb truck to drive an 8,000 lb winch to a standstill. However, now that I think about it, that is probably not going to happen very often, so maybe I am overthinking this, at least to the point of having a full load on a 4,500 lb winch very often.

Reactions: Koda and JTW
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
So, on my Talon, how many amps or watts can I continuously draw to run lights, etc without draining my battery?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
So, on my Talon, how many amps or watts can I continuously draw to run lights, etc without draining my battery?
At the optimal RPM's.
50 for Pioneer's
58 for Talons.
Then total then the stator cant keep up.
Sorry, I don't know the optimal RPM range.

Last edited:
Reactions: Haldog77
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Wow! That seems like a lot of amps. Thanks for the fast response!

Reactions: GWH
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Honda service manual says the stator will put out 15.5 volts at 5000 rpm.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Well... if that's where the .kw output is rated at then it needs to be recalculated.

I caculated the following off 12v's.
.6kw = 50 amps for Pioneer
.7kw = 58 amps for Talons.

If we change it to 15.5v's we get this.
.6kw = 38.7 amps for Pioneer
.7kw = 45.1 amps for Talons.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!