BOX1

P1000m5 How many amps can we draw continuously?

themightymet

themightymet

May 2, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if this has been covered. How many amps can be drawn continuously? I am looking at lights and the one I want draws quite a bit of power. That along with the amp I bought and anything else I don't want to fry the stator.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Couldn't find anything on this. Sorry if this has been covered. How many amps can be drawn continuously? I am looking at lights and the one I want draws quite a bit of power. That along with the amp I bought and anything else I don't want to fry the stator.

650watts/12v generator

Not sure much beyond that...

I'd limit to 400w consistent so the machine had the other 250???

J

JTW

I thought I read it put out around 40 amps.. and the machine took 10. Leaving 30 amps avalible...

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
600 watts or 50 amps at 5k RPM total per the book.

Reactions: JTW
J

Jshell3

Why would I need to know this?
(Honestly don't understand it)

Winching while engine is rev'd?
Or is this like a "don't play the radio w your LED bar on and your seat fan running" kinda gig?

Reactions: Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Amps are the "work/horse power" of the electrical system. For instance LED lights use very low amps but put out a lot of light. They are very efficient and don't have to work hard. A winch moves very slow but draws a lot of amps because it's doing a lot of work. SO, You can run your radio, your amp, and all of CP's LED lights and probably be fine but If your going to winch 2 ton Tina up the hill I'd maybe shut down the items that aren't mission critical.

J

JTW

Why would I need to know this?
(Honestly don't understand it)

Winching while engine is rev'd?
Or is this like a "don't play the radio w your LED bar on and your seat fan running" kinda gig?
Adding on what cutout said..
Knowing is good so you're not starving one area of the machine.. you can burn stuff up by putting too much draw on it. My light bar draws 25 amps.. sound bar is fused at 15.. I can run everything else and be less than what the stator puts out.

Think of it as plugging an old spotlight into a cig outlet and running it.. the light takes more than the system can give but the system tries to keep up and wiring gets toasted.. our dual battery setup greatly reduces any of this. But it's always good to stay within the charging parameters.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Does it say what it is at idle?
Don't think so. Probably slightly over what's needed to run most oem acessories.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've seen around 550 on average (about 45 amp) that can be used no problem. Most items including led and stereo do not run the rated amps. We can run 360 light bar with 2/300 watt amps along with a few minor things full time. If voltage drops on mine it's designed to shut off big power items starting with stereo amps.
Now like @JTW mentioned we are using dual batteries and we are using a battery isolator for safety on the original equipment. This should be used anytime someone is planning on heavy voltage use! If the rig doesn't receive enough power the transmission will act up and burn clutches.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!