P500 How much winching will a battery provide

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
I have a 3500 lb winch and a standard P500 battery (new). I was wondering if the standard battery is capable of winching the P500 out of a 20' long mud hole with the engine off, then still have capacity to start the P500 and operate the shift motor. If not would it have capacity to winch the P500 out with the engine running then still operate the shift motor afterwards? Does anyone have firsthand experience? I do have a second battery but I keep it on a trickle charger when at home and although I carry it with me on rides it is not connected to the P500 unless needed, it is truly just a backup battery, no dual charging.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
You should not have any trouble with the engine running based on my experiences.

Reactions: toddvdh and Mudder
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I think the safest answer is "it depends".
Depends on the winch brand. Some can draw 200-300 amps under load. Superwinch (I think LT series?) have a lower power draw than others.
Depends on how stuck you are, and how thick the mud is. The harder the winch has to work the more power it needs.

Best to wheel with a buddy on another rig to help out, and/or a come-a-long (coffin hoist, etc) failing that, it wouldnt hurt to bring along one of those portable jumpstarters, just in case.
Either way, usually best to keep the engine running, unless you're worried about water too high, and getting into the intake.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
For your hypothetical example of a sustained distance no engine hard pull, one could do the math on battery amp/hrs, winch draw, and alternator, but having a portable jump pack is my peace of mind.

Last edited:
Brmcg324

Brmcg324

Supporting Member
Aug 17, 2020
SW Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I have a superwinch 3000 which has a current draw rating of 15 Amps at zero load (line speed 27 feet per minute) up to 180 Amps for 3000 pounds pull (line speed 4 feet per minute). This is the manufacturer specification, not sure how other winches compare. The factory battery is 16 Amp hours, so you only have a few minutes to a dead battery if you use the winch pulling a thousand pounds of p500 out of a ditch. I suggest to never run the winch with the engine off. Even with the engine on, any amps draw above maybe 20 amps is drawing from the battery. Figuring how much you can run a winch and still have enough charge to run and shift properly is a tough thing to figure out. That would be very smart to have a spare battery. I have had good luck and never ran my battery down that far, mainly used my winch to drag logs and downed trees. Because of where the battery is on a p500, next to the engine,…it’s pretty miserable to work with the battery in the best conditions.

nctrailboss

nctrailboss

Supporting Member
Jun 30, 2018
north carolina
Ownership

1. 500
I have a superwinch 3000 which has a current draw rating of 15 Amps at zero load (line speed 27 feet per minute) up to 180 Amps for 3000 pounds pull (line speed 4 feet per minute). This is the manufacturer specification, not sure how other winches compare. The factory battery is 16 Amp hours, so you only have a few minutes to a dead battery if you use the winch pulling a thousand pounds of p500 out of a ditch. I suggest to never run the winch with the engine off. Even with the engine on, any amps draw above maybe 20 amps is drawing from the battery. Figuring how much you can run a winch and still have enough charge to run and shift properly is a tough thing to figure out. That would be very smart to have a spare battery. I have had good luck and never ran my battery down that far, mainly used my winch to drag logs and downed trees. Because of where the battery is on a p500, next to the engine,…it’s pretty miserable to work with the battery in the best conditions.
What he said,plus,permanant magnet winch motors need a break after a short hard pull,to cool off.