BOX1

P500 How to remove the swaybar

N

Northman

Oct 12, 2020
Northern British Columbia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As many of us have debated on whether to remove the swaybar or not and how difficult it is.. I thought a little how to would be handy.

Tools needed..
Ratchet
Short extension
14mm socket
12 mm socket
Jack or some means of lifting the rear end to remove a wheel.

First step.. Set parking break and chock front tire.. Jack up the rear end and pull the rear right wheel using a 14mm socket and ratchet with extension or tire iron.

Second step.. Locate the sway bar (funky bent rod just in front of the rear end) and notice the ball joint pivots are only held by one 12mm nut on the bottom side of the linkage. Remove these nuts from each lower side of the ball joint on each side of the sway bar using your ratchet and 12mm socket or wrench. Pull the threaded end out of the sway bar.

Third step.. (If you choose to remove the sway bar completely.. I would suggest it) Locate the two U shaped pivot points where the swaybar attaches to the frame. There are two 12mm bolts on each pivot.. Use your ratchet and socket with your extension for these. Once removed.. simply manipulate the sway bar out of the machine. This takes some rotating and moving but is why we removed the rear wheel.

Lastly, zip tie the remaining ball joints to the A-arms as shown. (these can be permanently removed if you so choose.. but you will need to insert an Allen wrench into the bolt to keep it from spinning.) Remount the wheel and tighten.. You're now ready to ride with far superior articulation and comfort!

View attachment 24059 View attachment 24060 View attachment 24061 View attachment 24062 View attachment 24063 View attachment 24064 View attachment 24065 View attachment 24066
That was real simple and great instruction. One little help was removing the ball joint from the sway bar on left side completely. Slid right out.

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
1200hrs and finally decided to remove it…Walker Evans are actually being used now- I’d conservatively say 25% improvement. Things almost plush! It’s definitely a different feeling on angles but i like it- kinda fun. Tried all my normal trails without pucker. Whatever trigger says to do on the p500, do it! 😬🙏

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
1200hrs and finally decided to remove it…Walker Evans are actually being used now- I’d conservatively say 25% improvement. Things almost plush! It’s definitely a different feeling on angles but i like it- kinda fun. Tried all my normal trails without pucker. Whatever trigger says to do on the p500, do it! 😬🙏
Nice! I fought with the idea of removing it too and it took me about 1 1/2 yrs to give in. You definitely feel a little more roll but that just proves it's softer. Corner slingers won't like it but when you get into the slow articulating stuff you feel the limited suspension we have actually working.

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Nice! I fought with the idea of removing it too and it took me about 1 1/2 yrs to give in. You definitely feel a little more roll but that just proves it's softer. Corner slingers won't like it but when you get into the slow articulating stuff you feel the limited suspension we have actually working.
Took me about 5 years to un-hook mine. I didn't completely remove it I just wire tide it out of the way and have not had any problems with it.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Took me about 5 years to un-hook mine. I didn't completely remove it I just wire tide it out of the way and have not had any problems with it.
I did that for a little bit too and then came to the conclusion that I'd never go back. It was just a useless mud catcher at that point.

Fruitz101

Fruitz101

Supporting Member
Jan 23, 2019
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I did that for a little bit too and then came to the conclusion that I'd never go back. It was just a useless mud catcher at that point.
Agreed. Rode it around for an hr this morning and, for me, the plushness totally outweighs the slight cornering disadvantage - removing it completely now. Rereading some of the ‘15ish posts all you OG’s posted.. ton of interesting, helpful knowledge. Best site, thanks to all! 🍻

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!